Heat spike drama - Brisa

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Reaction score
I had a client on Saturday who suffered with terrible heat spike and I have been mulling the problem over ever since.

She had never had nails before and her natural nail was not thin or damaged in any way.

The initial layer (very thin) sent her through the ceiling after a couple of seconds. Each subsequent layer had to be waved outside the lamp several times and then 2 seconds in 5 seconds out until it settled and I could do the 2 minute cure.

Each layer was very thin and I just found it so hard to believe. She was undoubtedly very sensitive but I did start to think she was being a bit over dramatic (quite a stress puppy)

Has anyone had anybody this extreme ?

I have and so i put it/her to the test.....i made it look like i had applied another layer of gel when in fact i didnt...put her in the lamp...and BINGO...she said it was hurting !!!!...now i ain't one to call anyone a liar but i do think that some are drama queens.

I have and so i put it/her to the test.....i made it look like i had applied another layer of gel when in fact i didnt...put her in the lamp...and BINGO...she said it was hurting !!!!...now i ain't one to call anyone a liar but i do think that some are drama queens.
I wish I'd thought of that:irked:
Still, at least I kept the 'client smile' glued to my face:green:
Thanks

If she had that reaction with Brisa, God only knows what she would be like with other gels!! I never feel anything but a very slight warmth with Brisa ... never what I would call a spike ... not on an ordinary undamaged nail no way.

I've been having LCN gel for about 3 years and initally I only got it just before my menstrul cycle (strange but true!) or if I had picked one off :eek: my tech always told me serves you right :)

Now she has changed her lamp it's more frequent but always bearable I do about 10 seconds wave them then I'm fine... but then other times not a thing...

Maybe she's just a drama queen, spin her a line about you have changed the bulbs and they are special non spiking bulbs just for her! or just give her a :Grope:

xxxx

I am pretty sensitive myself, so always cautious, I think I just got a 'right one' here though:)

Just curious Im learning gels at the moment (LCN) and I noticed a couple of people have said they 'wave' them. I was taught to take the hand out and press down on the fingertips, it does work! Never heard of waving them :lol:

Ami

I do not think that PAIN (however you try to laugh it off by pressing down, waving the hand about in the air, gritting your teeth etc) should EVER be considered a normal part of the enhancement service.
If it was, I wouldn't use that brand.
It is unacceptable to me. :irked:

I do not think that PAIN (however you try to laugh it off by pressing down, waving the hand about in the air, gritting your teeth etc) should EVER be considered a normal part of the enhancement service.
If it was, I wouldn't use that brand.
It is unacceptable to me. :irked:
To be honest I AGREE! However my tutor has made it sound like a completley normal part of the service :eek:

do you get her to do the hand hokey cokey?

Ie in for a second or two...then out...then in...then out....just for the first 20 seconds or so.

I too have peeps that pull it out as if its hurting and you know dam well it cant be !!!! Good trick ang !

Adele, I only remember one occasion when I actually burned my pinkie under a UV lamp, and yes it really burned. The heat spike arrived so suddenly and was so painful that I actually stopped the salon in it's tracks! However, as I had had a complete product removal followed by a reapplication, for me, in this case, I think my nail plate had been overbuffed and was a little thinned TBH.

Other than that, I have only ever encountered little heat spikes. If my clients experienced a heat spike I advise them to remove their finger and press firmly on the desk/nail station.

Perhaps you should suggest that this particular client rest her finger just at the entrance to the lamp to begin the curing process, prior to full cure in the lamp.

now i dont know if this will help or not as i aint a big gel user but i was taught on my gel it course to put the hand on top og the lamp , because even if its on the desk its still in the radius of the light (hope that makes sense )

I have a client who nearly jumped out of her skin when she first put her fingers in the lamp:eek:
I now switch the lamp on first then she puts her fingers in it doesn't stop the heat altogether but it does make a big difference.

Just curious Im learning gels at the moment (LCN) and I noticed a couple of people have said they 'wave' them. I was taught to take the hand out and press down on the fingertips, it does work! Never heard of waving them :lol:

Ami

I did a really nice smile line on one of my clients before, she put her hand under the lamp then sharply pulled it out and waved her hand around. She eventually put her hand back on the table and to my dismay, my smile line was ruined :cry: never let a client wave her hands around! :mad:

I recently watch the Young Nails video for gel sculpts and when he cured themhe placed the hand infront of the lamp in the light there (think this was freeze curing) and then he would do a bit more and then eventually he would put them in the lamp for a full 2 minutes!

Maybe this would help!

Hmmm. Never heard of this technique. But from what I've learnt the lightenergy from the UV-lamp decreases with 75% every time you double the distance. Placing the hands on top of the lamp (which someone mentioned earlier) doesn't seem very practical...

Since I don't want to be completely off topic I'll just mention that I (with natural, normal nails) feel discomfort when putting my hands in the lamp. Usually I have to take 'em out at least once for the first cure on every nail. It's not unbareable but unpleasant never the less.

Thanks everyone, I tried them outside the lamp, 2 seconds in etc etc etc.
I'm even more convinced now that despite a degree of sensitivity, she had me on a bit of string.
She won't do it twice though:green:

IMO, gel spikes with some clients....I've used Brisa, EzFlow and Calgel and some clients get heat spikes......all brands.....correct lamps and usage etc....

I have only ever seen a heat spike with l/p twice in my career.....once was a lady years ago and I have no clue why it happened,,,the other recently on a course with a lady who had terribly thin nail plates.

Nail enhancements shouldn't be painful. Period.

There is always one exception to the rule and I'm sure we all know of one.

The most common reason for heat spike is technician or artist error. Product applied too thickly with gel or too wet with L & P. Clients with thin or sensitive nail beds/fingertips may also experience heat spikes even when product is used correctly because of the surface you are working on.

My favorite drama client was an elderly woman who came once a month for pedicures. She had arthritis in her feet, very painful, yes, I understood, but she would holler and moan, yell loudly "ouch, you're hurting me, stop, stop" I had to on occasion remind her to wait until I actually touched her before she started yelling. The rest of the salon clients wondered I'm sure, but the ones who I had pedicured all got a chuckle, they understood she just needed a little extra attention. I know in my heart I gave her the best I could (she did have delicate, painful feet) and took care to make her feel special, she booked her next appointment before she left and never missed one. I also understood that by putting up with her "show" I gave her the attention she needed, she never missed my birthday, anniversary or Christmas until she passed away. Sometimes the drama is because they have few people who care.

she would holler and moan, yell loudly "ouch, you're hurting me, stop, stop" I had to on occasion remind her to wait until I actually touched her before she started yelling.
:lol:pMSL. I have had a couple of those in the past, but I've never said anything.

Latest posts

Back