Heat/sun cream - can it cause problems for Minx wearers??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
I did silver minx toes for a regular client. She was thrilled with them. She had them done 2 days before her holiday to tenerife. They were still perfect on the day she travelled but a couple of days in the problems started.

She noticed that the clear coating had come away from the silver design. This left just the silver which then came off also. This seemed to be the main problem, i.e. the clear coating coming off.

I wondered if the heat from the sun had this effect. Or she also said she sprayed sun tan lotion on her whole foot, inc toes. (she burns easily and will use a lot of sun cream). Maybe the chemicals in the sun cream had an effect?

She was keen to have them done again for her next holiday abroad but we are both unsure if the same will happen. I have said I want to do her another set, free of charge. I will do this soon so we know if it is just her nails or the heat etc from abroad that is causing the problems.

I can have minx on my toes for weeks on end but then again I have not tested them in the heat.

Anyone else worn them abroad and also used lots of sun cream?

I had Minx on my toes whilst in Turkey for 2 weeks last year, I went swimming in both the sea & pool, sunbathed constantly for 14 days, applied sun cream on my toes every day and had absolutely no problems apart from the free edge going a bit frayed where I had rubbed it against the edge of my sunbed whilst lying on my tummy. I've also had a few clients get minx for their holidays abroad and always check when they come back if they had any problems and so far no one has, so I really don't think it's the sun or the sun cream, perhaps your client is a picker lol, I have one client who has tried minx a couple of times and never lasts more than a few days, but she had admitted to being unable to stop herself from picking them off!! hth

We have many devoted wearers of Minx here in Spain .... None of the things you mention are a problem to wearers of Minx ... It is the clients poking and picking that are the biggest problem to Minx wearers. !!

I put Silver Lightening on a very well known and experienced Beauty Director a few weeks ago for her 10 day holiday at her beach house in the Caribbean (sigh). They were particularly hard to put on as her big toe nail is very domed so tricky to avoid creases so a bit more stretching that I would normally do.

Apart from a tiny bit of wearing on the edge from the sand they were perfect long after she came back. She uses loads of cream every day.

Sounds like a bit of client interference to me

Thanks for the replies.
The client in question is my longest running client and was delighted with the results so to be honest I can't see her picking them off. She really loved them!
However, she plays tennis and badminton and has trouble with her nails, i.e. regular bruising and then they come off and regrow. I wonder if her nails are just not suitable for minx for this reason.

I will try them again on her and if she is going abroad I might put clear acrylic over them or even clear shellac? This way it will prove difficult for her to "pick" even if it is sub consciously. I do feel that it could be the poor condition of her nails in general though.

Thanks for the replies.
The client in question is my longest running client and was delighted with the results so to be honest I can't see her picking them off. She really loved them!
However, she plays tennis and badminton and has trouble with her nails, i.e. regular bruising and then they come off and regrow. I wonder if her nails are just not suitable for minx for this reason.

I will try them again on her and if she is going abroad I might put clear acrylic over them or even clear shellac? This way it will prove difficult for her to "pick" even if it is sub consciously. I do feel that it could be the poor condition of her nails in general though.

Apologies if you already know this (but some won't): if your client is having trouble with her nails and is sporty, she is wearing them too long and/or wearing badly fitting trainers. this happens when there is pressure on the nails from trainers. If she loves her painted/Minxed toes and can't bare to have no free edge, she needs trainers that hold her foot in place without hitting the end of the shoe and enough hight at the toe end so they are not pressing down. Even bigger shoes and very thick socks help. But no free edge is the safest.

Pressure like this will, at best, cause ridges and, at worst, loose nails. Not the ideal candidate for Minx I'd say.

I've just been in egypt for 3 weeks in incredibly high heats and i've had no problems.

I did silver minx toes for a regular client. She was thrilled with them. She had them done 2 days before her holiday to tenerife. They were still perfect on the day she travelled but a couple of days in the problems started.

She noticed that the clear coating had come away from the silver design. This left just the silver which then came off also. This seemed to be the main problem, i.e. the clear coating coming off.

I wondered if the heat from the sun had this effect. Or she also said she sprayed sun tan lotion on her whole foot, inc toes. (she burns easily and will use a lot of sun cream). Maybe the chemicals in the sun cream had an effect?

She was keen to have them done again for her next holiday abroad but we are both unsure if the same will happen. I have said I want to do her another set, free of charge. I will do this soon so we know if it is just her nails or the heat etc from abroad that is causing the problems.

I can have minx on my toes for weeks on end but then again I have not tested them in the heat.

Anyone else worn them abroad and also used lots of sun cream?

Hi
I had the same problem with mine last year when i went to egypt...the clear top coming off then gradually the metallic cheeta. I thought it might have been the sun cream too. I never really thought about it till i just read your post. I'm not sporty and wore flipflops or toe less shoes all the holiday. Ooohhh i wonder what caused that then

Clare x

I do think also that the sun cream could have contributed. My client uses a clear high factor spray and said she sprayed loads on her feet and toes.

I will have to do some investigating into this. I will probably do clear acrylic over the minx toes next time to prevent anything reacting with the product.

Could anyone who has used acrylic over minx give me some pointers?
I imagine once the acrylic has been applied to silver minx it will initially appear frosty. Cld someone clarify that once they are buffed and oiled you still get the nice shiney finish?

I do think also that the sun cream could have contributed. My client uses a clear high factor spray and said she sprayed loads on her feet and toes.

I will have to do some investigating into this. I will probably do clear acrylic over the minx toes next time to prevent anything reacting with the product.

Could anyone who has used acrylic over minx give me some pointers?
I imagine once the acrylic has been applied to silver minx it will initially appear frosty. Cld someone clarify that once they are buffed and oiled you still get the nice shiney finish?

I wouldn't put clear acrylic over Minx. Tell her to use a different sun cream !! I use Solar Oil on my toes every day and it doesn't affect Minx.

Just a though: Lots of sun creams and aftersun creams have insect repellent. This of course can affect enhancements and polish, so probably will affect Minx too.

ive had the clear coating on top of the minx peel away aswell, not on clients, on myself but i wasnt or hadnt been on holiday at the time so dont think it was your clients suncream. Ive been on holiday for 2 weeks with minx on and it looked just as good when i got back so i have no idea why it sometimes happens. . . weird

the new "clear" sun lotion has alcohol in it. Well, the one i had last week did, thats why they advise you not to use on your face. Maybe that has something to do with it? I wore mine in turkey this year and the clear layer started to come off. It's never done that to me before on holiday so i put it down to that particular sun lotion with alcohol and will use different next time x x
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back