Hello - beauty therapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chezzababy

Reaction score
Hello all am cherie, 32 with 3 kids. I am about to start college in September for beauty therapy, nervous as hell. Any advice and tips would be great!

xXx

Hi :) sorry I can't give any advice but I was very nervous and apprehensive before my very first course after deciding to embark on a new career after being a stay at home mum for nearly 3 years. The nerves soon turn to excitement! If you have a passion for it you will love it. I can't believe I have found something I actually enjoy learning about lol!

Good luck :)

Hii! I was also a stay at home mum until last september when i started my nail tech course. Obv not quite the same as beauty therapy, but all treatments in this industry require skill and tecnique. I find getting different perspectives useful, in college we only have 1 nail tutor but i like watching nail tutorials from young nails and gemma lambert as it gives you a fresh view. Product knowlege always helps, you tend to train with certain brands but looking into whats on offer from everyone not only helps you make decisions in what you may want to use in future, but i always find things i had no previous knowlege of! If you know what treatments you wil be learning read up on the relative anatomy n physiology ie facials would be bones n muscles of the face, they can be tricky to get your head round but it all helps! This site is an amazing well of knowlege, id reccommend anyone whos training to just read through the forums, you learn so much, i could spend hours on here! Hope you get on well with your course xx

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

Hi, I'm 31 and started my college course last September, I was worried I would be the oldest among loads of 16 year olds. It turned out, there is an older lady than me there, she's 36, then myself, then there is a few 20 something's and lots of 16 year olds. But I can honestly say, every one of them are lovely, I get on with then all, and the course is good. We started with 23 in our class, i think we are down to 13, loads have dropped out, but its good. don't worry, just be yourself.

Thanx ladies, means a lot. My boys are 13 and 10 my baby girl is 4months, think it will be hard leaving her but I want to do something for me.

Xxx

My advice would be when you at college, practice as much as you can when you are in that environment. I left college, wishing I'd have practiced more on colleagues, at the time I felt like I'd passed the assessment so I knew it. But when I got into industry I felt a bit unprepared. For me it was waxing speed and painting nails. If I could go back again I would make sure I focused on my weaknesses, rather than doing treatments I was confident with over and over - if that makes sense?

But you will have a fantastic time, it is the best thing I have ever done entering the Beauty Industry - I just LOVE it!

My advise is similar to above.
I made sure I always was the one to do the treatments so I could practice an build confidence, I always was the first to put my name against clients to do so every lesson I was practicing an doing the practical. It helps to treat different clients.

I practiced every night at home to help remember routines.

Always start your assignments when you get them don't leave them to last minute, if you don't understand or find you are struggling with any aspect of it ask for help, your tutor will be more than happy to help.

Be a massive geek haha! I was but it pays off! Write exam flip cards at the end of each session to help you remember what you've learnt ready for exams it's easier to learn in little bits an often than cram it in all the night before lol!

Best of luck with your course your love it! I still 2 years later pop in to my college an have a little treatment from the students cus I miss it so much :D

Xxx

Aww ladies thank you all very much. Xxx

I left my baby girl when she was 5 months to go back to college. It was hard at first but you soon see it's worth it! I am over the moon to be qualified in something I am passionate about, it's more like a hobby than work! Best of luck! Xx

Im 31 and started my NVQ2 in February. I was nervous as hell, never worried as much about anything lol, i put so much money and have invested so much in it. But I love it. Its not been all easy but I love it and want to do my level 3 after this. It hugely depends what sort of experience u have based on ur tutor. Also, I would advise you too to be a huge geek. I have passed all of my exams with a minimum of 93% as I study, study study and dont leave anything to the last minute, and this is the first thing ever that I really enjoy learning about. Wish u all the best of luck xxx

I trained in Beauty Therapy around 12 years ago, I was 30 with 2 children under 2 years old. Boy was it tough but I was lucky enough to have the full support of my husband, family & friends. I took everything in & spent hours reading and practising on my willing friends & family. I have worked for myself ever since and done quite a bit of post graduate training/education. It's been the best move I've made, no regrets, I truly love my job and have my own business. At nearly 43 I am now looking to add to my skills & become a nail technician. My advice would be, put everything in to it, start out with the best products, never stop learning and when you think you can't cope just have a good cry & carry on. You will love it. Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back