Hello

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca14

Reaction score
Hello

My names Rebecca and I’m a new member. I’ve been doing hair only for 3 years and qualified level two! Looking for support and to learn! It’s been difficult these last years and I clearly picked the wrong time to change career! But I absolutely love it.. I’m currently doing mobile as nobody seems to want to employ an almost 40 year old with 3 years experience? How do you all deal with this? I would love to continue to do what I do but financially it’s not paying well at all. I’ve added a couple of photos of my work.

Rebecca x

Attachments

• 7A1CA52C-7134-492E-AC01-1BDFE2B7B427.jpeg
    7A1CA52C-7134-492E-AC01-1BDFE2B7B427.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4D887DA8-4BAA-4C2A-8459-E804C88C2AC2.jpeg
    4D887DA8-4BAA-4C2A-8459-E804C88C2AC2.jpeg
    727.8 KB · Views: 0
Hello

My names Rebecca and I’m a new member. I’ve been doing hair only for 3 years and qualified level two! Looking for support and to learn! It’s been difficult these last years and I clearly picked the wrong time to change career! But I absolutely love it.. I’m currently doing mobile as nobody seems to want to employ an almost 40 year old with 3 years experience? How do you all deal with this? I would love to continue to do what I do but financially it’s not paying well at all. I’ve added a couple of photos of my work.

Rebecca x
Hi Rebecca, welcome.
I'm curious to know how being mobile isn't financially viable. I used a pricing coach to help me figure out my prices and it was quite nice for me to see how much each service cost and know that what I was charging was close to what I should have been. But for some people it was an eye opener, because they're were definitely undercharging.

Hi Rebecca, welcome.
I'm curious to know how being mobile isn't financially viable. I used a pricing coach to help me figure out my prices and it was quite nice for me to see how much each service cost and know that what I was charging was close to what I should have been. But for some people it was an eye opener, because they're were definitely undercharging.
Hi thanks for your reply, I’m definitely undercharging and hold my hands up to that, because I’m so new at it I feel like I can’t? However I don’t use cheap products not that that’s a bad thing of people do? I just don’t have the confidence and I know what my results will be with what I use if that makes sense? A pricing coach sound like a great idea.. ? I’ll look into that! I also need to have more confidence in my work, I have so much drive and passion but I’m working for £3 and hour mostly?

Hi, welcome to the group, I’ve been mobile a long time and have tried various products, I’ve gone back to Wella and love them but they’re definitely not the cheapest,

work out how much you’d use for each service, as well as ALL products needed, and then work out your prices, also work out how long each service takes you, and how many you can fit into your day, so I work 5 days a week but have to fit into while kids are at school, so still almost part time hours,

I’ve actually got slower in some services and quicker in others, I still get nervous doing a new client, so don’t worry about being new to it, some people find they do one or two things really well and if you enjoy those then do those and say no to other things(I no longer do perms)

I’ve found BEST way for getting new clients is Facebook, all other advertising got me nothing, ask your existing clients to recommend you, don’t be afraid to ask,

some of my clients I feel part of the family now and feel it hard to increase my prices with, especially ones who have stayed and been very loyal, but it’s your bills being paid so you HAVE to see it as a way to pay the bills,
Word of mouth works well for new clients, if you have a local town group on FB put posts up with your phone number and if anyone asks for a hairdresser I’d suggest posting your number and FB link, rather than just a ‘messaged you’ reply, people like you to make life easy for them so a link is great, I don’t actually post many hair pics on my page and still get new clients, sometimes I just post quotes or silly hair related stuff.

Hope all goes well for you, this group has some wonderful advice- I still ask about colour advice and I’ve been doing it over 20 years! LOL

Hi Rebecca, when I was doing mobile I literally looked at what others were doing price wise in my area and only offered the services what I was qualified in doing. So don’t worry whether your level 2 or 3 as you will only be offering the services of what your qualified in doing x good luck

Hi, welcome to the group, I’ve been mobile a long time and have tried various products, I’ve gone back to Wella and love them but they’re definitely not the cheapest,

work out how much you’d use for each service, as well as ALL products needed, and then work out your prices, also work out how long each service takes you, and how many you can fit into your day, so I work 5 days a week but have to fit into while kids are at school, so still almost part time hours,

I’ve actually got slower in some services and quicker in others, I still get nervous doing a new client, so don’t worry about being new to it, some people find they do one or two things really well and if you enjoy those then do those and say no to other things(I no longer do perms)

I’ve found BEST way for getting new clients is Facebook, all other advertising got me nothing, ask your existing clients to recommend you, don’t be afraid to ask,

some of my clients I feel part of the family now and feel it hard to increase my prices with, especially ones who have stayed and been very loyal, but it’s your bills being paid so you HAVE to see it as a way to pay the bills,
Word of mouth works well for new clients, if you have a local town group on FB put posts up with your phone number and if anyone asks for a hairdresser I’d suggest posting your number and FB link, rather than just a ‘messaged you’ reply, people like you to make life easy for them so a link is great, I don’t actually post many hair pics on my page and still get new clients, sometimes I just post quotes or silly hair related stuff.

Hope all goes well for you, this group has some wonderful advice- I still ask about colour advice and I’ve been doing it over 20 years! LOL
Thank you so much for your reply! It’s really helpful, I have an Instagram page but not face book think i lll try there, I have a few clients from word of mouth I guess I’m still building that?

I did my first and last perm well since college not long ago and decided it wouldn’t be a service I’ll offer! I love doing blondes and balayage type work!

Thank you for all your advice definitely taking it all on board very much appreciated

Rebecca

Hi thanks for your reply, I’m definitely undercharging and hold my hands up to that, because I’m so new at it I feel like I can’t? However I don’t use cheap products not that that’s a bad thing of people do? I just don’t have the confidence and I know what my results will be with what I use if that makes sense? A pricing coach sound like a great idea.. ? I’ll look into that! I also need to have more confidence in my work, I have so much drive and passion but I’m working for £3 and hour mostly?
You definitely need to work on those prices! If you need any help I will do my best. Your work looks good.

You definitely need to work on those prices! If you need any help I will do my best. Your work looks good.
Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back