Help about lamps and gel brands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiakate

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just completed my Gel nail course and just shopping around for different gel brands and lamps. Can anyone suggest the best lamp and the best voltage to go for? This is all really new to me and if anyone can suggest the best gel brands please? Currently looking at Gelbottle and Semilac
Thankyou x

Hi,
I have just completed my Gel nail course and just shopping around for different gel brands and lamps. Can anyone suggest the best lamp and the best voltage to go for? This is all really new to me and if anyone can suggest the best gel brands please? Currently looking at Gelbottle and Semilac
Thankyou x

Whichever gel brand you choose, please read through the thread linked below:

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/u...-just-won’t-do-updated-september-2019.323988/

The only brands you should consider are those with a chemist on board and a genuine lab report confirming the safety of a specific lamp for their gels.

Without these it flags up a concern that they could be buying in mass produced gels and just personalizing the packaging and marketing.

I once stumbled upon where these gels are wholesaled online and as far as I can figure it, these gels are sold under a multitude of names for the DIY market via Amazon, eBay etc too. The advice is that any high wattage lamp will do but this is not a safe approach.

These days the 'sparkle and glitter' in the nail biz is out of control. Fabulous new brands with hundreds of colours that last for weeks chip free paired with a random lamp with a brand logo applied... they look so desirable and professional, but the price being paid in practical terms is high. An epidemic of nail product allergies that was unheard of before this type of business model became available.

The easiest way to increase the wear time of a gel is to increase the HEMA content! If you purchase products manufactured in China where there are no cosmetic safety regulations in place then you will be buying into a culture of competitive manufacturing where longevity of wear time is far more important and profitable than safeguarding the health of the end user.

I would restrict your search to brands manufactured in the EU or USA where there are good safety regulations in place and bear in mind that each brand you use will need to be cured in its own lamp.

I recently qualified and the amount of different 'professional' brands out there is overwhelming.

So far my favourite brand is INK London, their iLac polishes are a dream to apply. Unfortunately I haven't yet used them enough to properly test their longevity, but there are tonnes of great reviews out there, and they're such an affordable price.

As for lamps, it's recommended that you go with the lamp that matches your chosen brand. There are lamps out their which claim to be universal, but if you manage to find a brand you know you'll stick with it's probably best to invest in their lamp too!

As I said, I'm relatively new to all of this so I can only speak from limited experience, but I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back