Help, advice on starting a gel nail business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna89

Reaction score
Hi im new to all this... i was just wondering wethrt anybody had any advice for me...i have no previous training but im really wanting to become a nail technician..but i cant afford to quit my joband go to college..so im looking at doing a home course any suggestion on the best 1 to get and resonable price many thanks donna xx

The home learn courses arent the best hun to be honest. I know there are geeks on here who have done them successfully but most have needed further training afterwards. You could try CND as they do a 5 day course if you could book holiday from work? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I did a full nail technician course through capital hair and beauty. It cost about £400 but you are then qualified and can get the relevant insurance etc

thanks 4 the advice so they are the best 1's to go 4 if u have got no experiance? xx

Is there any reason why you want to do gel in particular?

I only ask because I did this (about 10 years ago) and couldn't find nearly enough clients who wanted gel . . . I was getting several people a week phoning up asking for acrylic (and not prepared to give gel a go) so after about 6 months I did an acrylic course as well and have not looked back. If I had stuck to gel I don't think I would still be in business now.

But it probably varies from area to area and also, as I said, that was a while ago, but something to think about maybe. Just trying to help :) x

I started the nail side of my business last Jan, I had previous manicure experience & certificate & after lots of research I decided to choose Gelish. Went on my course loved it, went back for design & loved that! In nov booked on my hard gel course & have had lots clients book in for it & am now getting enquiries for acrylics also hoping to go & do that course next! Found Harmony to be a great company especially if starting out - they do manicure courses so to start with you could see if your gonna like it? Also it will be a great way to start to get nail clients? Unless you already have a clientele? I love the nail side & love the products I use. Have a look on their website & the lady you need to speak to is Jan Soar she is head of education she'll be able to fund out who to recommend you too for training in your area. Always happy for you to pm me as I have all this info. Hth xVx

I would avoid the home courses. I thought about it but you don't know if you're doing something right.

I work full time and retrained in nails and just used my holiday to do the courses. Now trying to get a bar on a Saturday to build my client base. I am acrylic based with mani/pedi/gel polish and moving on to eyelashes and threading.

I went through The Scottish Beauty School and thought it was great. You get proper tutoring and advise when doing a proper course, if you're doing home learning, how do you know if you're doing it right?

I've done home learn courses with essential nails and i think they're brilliant i can't rate them enough! They teach you everything! And they're always on the end of the phone if you need anything! I do agree with needing to do more courses afterwards though. They kind of teach you the basic methods and skills and i think it would be helpful to maybe do some workshops afterwards x

What course did u do with EN? also was it enough 2 start a bussiness doing nails? x

I've done spa manicure and pedicure, acrylic tip and overlay, nail art, freehand art master tech, acrylic art master tech and tokyo one stroke. Yes i'm a home based nail tech :) the certificates are recognised by all the insurance companies x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

woow u have done loads lol....think i may have 2 go with them then x:lol:

They're really good! You can pay over 4, 6 and 12 monthly installments aswell! I've paid no more than £50 a month! xx

Latest posts

Back