Help allergic reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tips and toes

Reaction score
Hi,
Im looking for some help on a problem i have.. I have recently changed my product that i have been previously using and since then i have come up with swollen,seeping cuticles, itchy as hell and small bumps all over my hands as well as peeling skin at the cuticles... I went to the chemist to see what they say and they told me it was a allergic reaction and gave tablets.. 5 days of taking tablets and still no betta and the doctor gave fungal cream to help but the peeling hasnt stopped and its so annoying and a little painful what the hell do i do please if anyone has any suggestions i would be most grateful for any help... Thank you:cry:

I'd see a dermatologist. That's the best you can do for this sort of problem.

Hi,
Im looking for some help on a problem i have.. I have recently changed my product that i have been previously using and since then i have come up with swollen,seeping cuticles, itchy as hell and small bumps all over my hands as well as peeling skin at the cuticles... I went to the chemist to see what they say and they told me it was a allergic reaction and gave tablets.. 5 days of taking tablets and still no betta and the doctor gave fungal cream to help but the peeling hasnt stopped and its so annoying and a little painful what the hell do i do please if anyone has any suggestions i would be most grateful for any help... Thank you:cry:

Stay away from that product ... ONCE ALLERGIC ALWAYS ALLERGIC and it gets worse.

Thank you gonna go hospital tom see if can see anyone as i am abit worried as its not getting better.. :(((

When its a bad one it can take allot of time .. allot of healing to do. I do hope it clears up soon. :hug:

Hi just a update for yah fingers are getting better.. Tablets and cream has helped alot so fingers crossed its been a week hopefully not too much longer as not being able to do nails is driving me nuts lol..My hand looks normal again and the skin is forming back woo hoo nearly had a heart attack, The product has been destroyed lol.. Thanks again . x

Happy to hear all is calming down and that you have had some relief. I wonder what chemical in the product you reacted to ?? It would help you to know so that in the future you stay well clear of whatever it was. You should ask the company for a patch test so your Dr. can do it and then the company can tell you.

Hi, sounds very familiar to me lol, I had a severe allergic reaction to the "Dream" products i used whilst doin an Essential Nails Course, I also had the swollen cuticles & tiny little "itchy" blisters hardly noticable to the naked eye! Very very frustrating as its an itch that you cant soothe if that makes any sense, I also went to my DR & like Geeg said I was told once allergic always allergic, I had a terrible terrible habit of wiping product on the back of my hand which was basically asking for an allergy!! My advice (dont quote me on this) is 1/ Change ur product, 2/ be oober oober sanitary if thats the word, I am meticulous now with my product, prepping etc also be careful if ur using primer not to get it near ur skin! (as they will irritate), make sure no product touches the skin if you can, It will take a long long time to heal up but I helped myself by washing my hands in non perfumed soaps etc & wearing my gloves always when I was dealing with Acrylic & mine are back to normal now, I think its just one of those live n learn things, hope it gets better soon x

This happened to me something in Ezflow monomer irritated my fingers like crazy,I tried everything, in the end I done a conversion to CND and everything seems to be eh ok now...touch wood.:)

Hi I have the similar problem and had it for years and I think it is acrylic in even small amount I have problems with (even nailpolish :-( ) Can you tell me what type of tablets you got cause my doctor dont know what to do about it - he only tells me to out on cream for allergy but nor effect at all!! I am desperate because my own nails are so thin I can go around without nails on :) besides that I teach nails so I must wear nails and have tried almost all products in the world.
Perhaps somebody know a gel products totally without acrylic in???

:o) have a great evening everybody.

I had this problem with BioSculpture after over 2 years of using it. Suddenly developed what looked like tiny water blisters all over my fingers that burned like crazy & itched like mad. Dr gave me 2 different strengths of steroid cream, neither worked so I went back to old faithful Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector & it was gone within days:D
Got referred to the Dermatologist & he did a 'huge' patch test on my back which showed I had an allergy to the dreaded MethylMethacrylate:sad:
I know everyone's gonna come back to me saying thats immpossible because MMA is not allowed to be used etc but apparently that only applies to the liquids used in L&P, I ASSURE you BioSculpture contains at least one, read the label.
Anyway I stopped over exposing myself by not using my nail to tidy up product on skin (bad bad habit) & now I only have a mild reaction on my left thumb which I unconsiously use to wipe nails throughout treatment...so I now use the finger off a glove and nail wrap to cover it and this minimises my problems.

Was so upset when this first happened because I was convinced I'd have to give up nails, which I LOVE doing, & was also concerned that I'd have rubbish nails for my wedding since I can't have enhancements on...UNTIL I found CND's Brisa & now the fantabulous Shellac...neither of which provoke a reaction to my sensitive fingers:D

Hope you get this totally sorted & have a long and happy nail career but I would DEF persist for a patch test from the dermatologist to confirm the ingredient causing your problems & avoid it at all costs xxx

Perhaps somebody know a gel products totally without acrylic in???

Try Brisa for enhancements or Shellac on natural nails by CND but also badger Doc for a dermatologist referral to find out EXACTLY what ingredient you are allergic to beacuase mine for acetone & polish ingredients came back negative.

Also try Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector for your skin...its MEGA moisturising & also creates a water resistant barrier to prevent moisture loss throught hand washing etc
HTH:D xxx

Yes both Brisa gels and Shellac are 3FREE formulations and hypoallergenic products ... they contain no Formaldhyde, No acrylates and no Gluteraldehyde and no DBP. That makes your chances of being allergic to CND gels far less likely.

Well just thought id update you with my nail problem.. The last i wrote here was that my hands fingers was clearing up and getting better but im afraid to say that this is not the case and coming onto the 4th month of having this i am totally fed up.. I have been to the hospital 4 times and inbetween that the doctors,i have had different creams,tablets and steriods and none of them have helped,I got told at first it wasnt infected and its not an infection or a allergic reaction although thats what they told me at first and they didnt know what was going on just giving different things to try and help it.. My nails are thin,some of them are away from the nailbed at the top and the colour has changed,from my knuckles upwards they are sore and senitive to touch.Been told no hands in water which is almost impossible as i have to wash mi hands after the loo,gloves are ok but irritate after a while i cant win.. Went to a dermatologist today and she says it might be a fungal infection and did not give a test to check and see what is causing it just more tablets for 4 weeks then after that the testing i have just had enough as 4 months is along time and my hands are horrible i feel like im never gonna have nails on again and if i lose my nails i will be upset as i love nails with a passion and wouldnt want to stop doing them.. That was long i know but its whats happening and they dont seem to care anyway hope ur all well im reading people have had things like this for years how do you cope with the pain,swelling,itching and the rest that comes along with it cause im finding it hard..

I'm really sorry for you honey, it sounds awful ,
4 mouths is a long time! Have you stopped using it? As it almost sounds like it is still getting irritated, if your not near the prduct could it possibly be something else?
I know the way you described it says it was the product but with out exposer in 4months it seems strange that your still reacting so badly.

Yep it is awful but hey life goes on init.. Yep have stayed away from what i thought it was and still it hasnt gone.. Some fingers are ok but the rest are rather bad.. The tablets im on now are slightly helping but we shall see after 4 weeks just the side effects are not nice stomach upset and that but hey at least the swelling has gone down and the itch has relieved thank god.. Ill keep posting updates of how i get on.. Thank you

Hi Tips and toes

I'm so sorry to hear of your condition - I can't imagine how terrible you must feel...

As far as allergys go the tablet type that will instantly help will be anti-histamines, the reason for this is an allergy is when the body (often for unknown reasons) develops a histamine to attack and defend against what it considers a danger - this can be anything under the sun essentially.

Some individuals seem more prone to developing a histamine reaction. But an anti-histamine will negate the body's reaction.

Bear in mind, this will only work if it is indeed an allergy, if something else is going on then these will not help... (and also never mix drugs so ensure you discuss the idea with a medical professional before self medicating ;))

I truly hope things get better for you.

Will the dermatologist not do a patch test for you to find out the EXACT ingredient causing the problem? It's just that it might be an ingredient you've never had probs with before but now you've been sensitized. If this SPECIFIC ingredient is in ANY of the other products you use, at work or at home, then it wont stop until you stop coming into contact with it I'm afraid.

I'd been using BioSculpture for 2 years before I developed sensitivity & now I'm allergic to ALL gels I've tried except Brisa. Luckily I CAN still use these priducts as I am MEGA MEGA careful not to get it on my skin but I had to wait until I wad fully healed before I could do this.

I know it sounds daft but try Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector. All the creams doc gave me did nothing but this really helped me. EVERY day & at night with the cotton gloves you get. I rarely need to use this now but I always have one in the drawer at my nail desk...just in case. I use a fingercot or the finger cut off a glove on my thumb with nail wrap on it as I unconsciously swipe over the nails with my thumb & this is the only place I have probs now, hence the bandaging lol.

I REALLY feel for you, I was in tears when it happened to me as I cant imagine doing any other job than what I do but it worked out for me.

DEMAND a patch test including polosh remover, acrylates etc specific to hair & beauty industry...best thing you can do xxx

P.S...Tell her you heard the little blister type reaction is called Pomphlux...sounds funny but thats what I had xxx

Last edited:
I'm really sorry for you too hun. Perhaps this isn't a nail product have you changed anything else , makeup, shampoo or anything else xx

I can 100% relate to this - I was using Bio for 2 years too (and super-careful not to over expose myself) and I developed exactly the same problem. I persevered for many months with extremely painful hands (all cracked, bleeding, blistered, having to wear white cotton gloves every night) believing I'd work through it but sadly no. Patch testing revealed it was acrylates I was allergic to and so with much sadness I had to pack up my Bio kit and no longer offer it.

I trained in CND Brisa gel in March of this year, and whilst it doesn't harm my fingers, it does bring up a nasty rash all over my eyelids - I stopped using it about a month ago and my rash has now gone. Brisa is OK, but not in the same league as Bio Sculpture and my clients think the same.

So now I've packed away my Brisa kit too and I'm not offering any nail enhancements at all! I know how you're feeling as I loved doing nails too, and I was so upset to think I'd never have nice nails again, but I've slowly nursed my hands better and I'd much rather have happy and healthy hands than the pain of allergic reaction. I find Aqueous cream has been brilliant - you can buy it from Boots in a tube for about £2.99 and having tried all sorts of different expensive creams from the doctor, this has been the best.

Hope it all works out for you.

Luscious 85 x

Latest posts

Back