Help! Am I to old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linds1917

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m 43 and I’m debating about paying to do my NVQ2 hairdressing which costs about 2,600 and is a year long
My question is & be brutality honest am I too old , I’v just trained in hair extensions but iv alwaways wanted to do hairdressing but life & kids didn’t really allow me up until now
I thought I would do it , then have a break for a year & try to gain employment in a salon or a client base then go & do my nvq3 but by then I would be 45 good god lol
I just want peoples opinions if I’m wasting my money because of my age . Thanks guys x

Hi everyone,
I’m 43 and I’m debating about paying to do my NVQ2 hairdressing which costs about 2,600 and is a year long
My question is & be brutality honest am I too old , I’v just trained in hair extensions but iv alwaways wanted to do hairdressing but life & kids didn’t really allow me up until now
I thought I would do it , then have a break for a year & try to gain employment in a salon or a client base then go & do my nvq3 but by then I would be 45 good god lol
I just want peoples opinions if I’m wasting my money because of my age . Thanks guys x

Never say never!

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/am-i-too-old.286250/

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/when-are-you-too-old.317346/

I started training when i was 45. I did 2 yr course L2 and L3. Been qualified now for 3 yrs and i love it. Best thing I did. Go for it.

Personally at any age I’d prefer to do a work based learning course. Salon experience, up to date training whereas in my experience these college courses are taught by obviously trained professionals but they have been out of the salon for a long time. I know ppl that have done the course and couldnt get a job once qualified as no salon experience. Techniques such as balayage aren’t taught till level 3 and that’s such a big thing atm. Age is not a problem, salon experience and good training is a must. Xx

I have to disagree about college staff being out of touch compared to salon based education. You’re only going to get up to date training in a salon if the salon educator is up to date.

In the salons I’ve worked in, they all took shortcuts to save money including cutting down on regular staff training sessions.

In my college the staff were required to complete continuing professional development courses as a condition of employment.

However, the issue of not obtaining employment due to lack of salon experience is very real problem, unfortunately. If possible, try to volunteer in a salon on a part time basis to get some experience to add to a CV.

I think the biggest hurdle facing mature and college based students is prejudice from employers who are convinced that long apprenticeships are the only way and everything else is inferior.
Fact is, apprenticeships aren’t feasible for many students but that doesn’t mean they don’t have the potential to succeed given the right support and encouragement.

Thanks everyone
Its a academy with a salon so there is salon based experience with some shadowing of a stylist & the chance to rent a chair after completing the nvq3
Obviously it is a worry being older , having no salon experience & trying to gain employment after the nvq2 is complete
Think I need to go & arrange a interview and find out more information I guess x

Also my main end is to be self employed as a mobile hairdresser & hair extensionsit rather than employed in a salon but I would do salon work or rent a chair if I could until I felt I had a big enough client base x

My local college wasn’t great when I was training and to my knowledge of current students, it also has a salon as part of the academy but talking to current/recent students it not much better. Hopefully this is not the case up and down the country but I’m just speaking from my experiences. I’d definitely see about volunteering in a salon and look at it as free education and experience rather than working for free. It’s amazing how much you can learn by even just watching. Gaining employment is hard as a lot of salon owners don’t want to employ any more due to pensions etc. Renting a chair would probably be the way to go however it could cost you money some weeks rather than make you money until you build up clientele, unless you do a percentage split but then again salon owners offering this usually want someone with clientele as if you’re not earning nor are they. It’s tough but it’s worth it. And remember this applies to anyone at any age in the industry xx good luck xx

Ps most salons colour houses offer free in house training too xx

Also my main end is to be self employed as a mobile hairdresser & hair extensionsit rather than employed in a salon but I would do salon work or rent a chair if I could until I felt I had a big enough client base x
See if you can get in a salon as an apprentice, this way (an no your never too old to be an apprentice) you get hands on experience in a salon and you get the course\qualifications to boot.

You are never to old to start something new.Go for it x

I’m 38. I did level 2 last year in the evening. Part way through I asked to volunteer in the salon whilst I was having my hair cut! I got my insurance so I could do services and gradually worked up to a self employed status (only about 10 hours a week). I do however do any helpful thing I’m asked to do and I’m made to feel a big part of the team. I’m being made redundant at my full time job and we are looking at an apprenticeship for level 3 and reviewing level 2 as my training was not that great. Do mobile hairdressing - gain a good portfolio of work, let salons know that if they don’t want a volunteer that you would be willing to come in if they were short or were doing events. When you go into a salon maybe have a couple of dolly heads in the car. I think the biggest hurdle is actually that employers think you won’t be willing to start at the bottom or be a know it all. My salon was a new business so really having a volunteer on the late night and weekend was a good thing to help with overheads.

Go for it! Never too old x

Thanks everyone for all you're great advice
I had Lots to think about Xx

Latest posts

Back