help and advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrina Smith

Reaction score
Hi,
Just attended the first part of my creative 4 day foundation course, and have to go next Thursday for the last day. I am currently working in a day nursery but really want a carear change. Until last week I had not had any experience in the idustry (except for having my nails done every 2 weeks). I found the course really interesting and worked really hard through out. I am doing my home work each evening and struggling a little with the letter that I have to write for reffering a client to a G.P. If any one has any ideas please can you let me know.
Also when I do a full set it takes me 4 hours (only done 2 fullsets) we were told that that was normal but I am really concerned that I will not get any quicker. 4 hours is a long time and even though I was really please with the end results i felt really sorry for the person I was practicing on (my mum). does any one have any helpful tips they could give me?
Thanks

Afraid the answer is practice makes perfect !!!
I asked loads of my friends and family to let me put sets of nails on them and gradually I got my time down from 3hrs to 1hr 15mins. I gave myself 10 months just doing this before I decided to set myself up in business. You'll also find that some people have WEIRD WEIRD nails !!! If you find that your timings are not coming down perhaps a 1to 1 with an ambassador at Creative may help.
Keep at it hon and good luck !!
x

Hi im jackie
i qualified with cnd in dec 03 it took me 4 hours to do a full set i have now got it down to two hours but my rebalances r taking 2 hrs as well im also ver new to this site

Most certainly practice as Debs has said. My first full set took me four and a half hours - I was ready to throw the towel in. But now my full sets take and hour and a half (fairly average) and my refills/backfills etc take an hour. It will come with time!

Jackie
www.LibertyNailDesign.com
Dublin

My first full set took me four and a half hours - I was ready to throw the towel in. But now my full sets take and hour and a half (fairly average) and my refills/backfills etc take an hour.
Just jumping on the bandwagon here..... :biggrin: but can I ask how long it took you guys to get from a painfully long time to do a set, to a nice healthy pain free time?

at what stage did it take you to at least get your time down a bit?

Hiya

I would say you need to do 80-100 sets, by this time your speed will be up. There are no short cuts unfortunetly its just practice practice practice.

Little Angel said:
Hiya

I would say you need to do 80-100 sets, by this time your speed will be up. There are no short cuts unfortunetly its just practice practice practice.
got a way to go yet then lol!

sabrina Smith said:
I am doing my home work each evening and struggling a little with the letter that I have to write for reffering a client to a G.P. If any one has any ideas please can you let me know.

Also when I do a full set it takes me 4 hours (only done 2 fullsets) we were told that that was normal but I am really concerned that I will not get any quicker.

Here is an example letter (not too difficult really) lifted off the Designer Nails web site where all the NVQ information is there for you to help yourselves to for FREE.

An example would be:

Dear Doctor ___________,

I am the owner of ______________________ nail salon in ______________.

I am a professionally qualified and insured nail technician. My business is to change the appearance of client’s natural nails by the application of artificial nail enhancements. The enhancement products give a permanent coating of plastic polymer that is chemically bonded to the natural nail plate.

Your patient Mrs._______________ has expressed a wish to have nail enhancement services from my salon. I have advised her to obtain your permission prior to any treatment.

Would you please send a letter with your patient confirming that it is acceptable to proceed with the artificial nail service?

Yours Faithfully,

As for your timing ... Patience!!! Why do you want to run before you can even walk? It is very early days and if you are going to be despondent and worried now over not being a perfect technician doing perfect nails in accepted time after 2 sets... forget doing nails now. I would think you would have gained a bit more respect for what you are dong and the artistry involved and the level of skill you need to do the job really well, after your Foundation course. You have a LONG way to go. Forget about time and buckle down and learn your basic craft .... then you can think about speed ... you have years to go and you still won't know it all. You are at the bottom of the learning curve ... it's not that easy. Enjoy it all and take it step by step. Speed up techniques will be learned on your Next Step Class.

Have to say i agree with Geeg. I am also a newly qualified nail tech. I currently work mobile and from home, but i don't consider myself any where near perfect when it comes to speed etc.

my friends and family who i do nails for have never minded the time it has taken me to do a set of enhancements. In the beginning it was taking me 5 HOURS!!! Now it is taking me 2 3/4 hours to do a full set. It still takes me 2 hours to do a reballance and 1 1/2 hours for an infill.

My new clients that i have always say to me they would rather i took a little more time so their nails look great than rushed it and end up with sub standard nails. I also still have a long way to go but the more sets i do the faster i get.

One thing i have noticed with a couple of my clients that they also love it when you take a bit longer as they also enjoy a good chin wag. :biggrin: Practise, practise, practise thats all you can do. Always be prepared to keep learning and do courses and most of all we are all here to help. With this great site you are never alone.:)

Thank you every one for your advice it's good to know that you are all out their with helpful advice.
:biggrin:

I'm quite please now after reading your posts/replies. I'm new to all this too and I have my sister coming to me every week just now for fills etc.

On Tuesday I put a new set of french tips on her and it took me two hours. I said that's still too long but after reading your posts/replies this has now cheered me up well and good for the weekend. Thank you.

Yvonne :lol:

hey guys dont worry it takes us all forever when we first start out!! just keep on practising it will come :green:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back