Help appreciated! How do I achieve Wella Koleston 88/31

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S-L

Reaction score
Hi, fully qualified - very out of practice - not practiced for many years. In lockdown and want to achieve 88/31 on myself. How do I go about correct ratio/mix. Only intend to do half head or maybe just the top section. Almost no grey at the back, front is patchy but reasonably concentrated at top section of fringe and temples. My base shade is 7 but intend to lighten gradually as more white comes. Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Hi, fully qualified - very out of practice - not practiced for many years. In lockdown and want to achieve 88/31 on myself. How do I go about correct ratio/mix. Only intend to do half head or maybe just the top section. Almost no grey at the back, front is patchy but reasonably concentrated at top section of fringe and temples. My base shade is 7 but intend to lighten gradually as more white comes. Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.
What colours do you have available? Or are you going to order colour after a recommended formula?
Looking at the UK version of the App 88/31 isn't a wella shade?

What colours do you have available? Or are you going to order colour after a recommended formula?
Looking at the UK version of the App 88/31 isn't a wella shade?
Hi, I’ve loads of colours mostly wella colour touch/colour touch plus. Currently I simply use the 88/03. Times coming to use something that lasts longer and covers better (not that it’s overly wrong).
So aside of these and the relevant developer's, I’ve an unopened bottle the Welloxon 9%. I noticed they don’t have 88/31 (only a 9/31 and 10/31), but wondered if you can use the 88/ mixed with /30 /1? This might be a ridiculous suggestion, as said I’ve not coloured anyone’s else’s hair for 20 years plus, just my own so I’m afraid my knowledge is limited. I became a cutter and rarely coloured - just how things turned out. Life took a change of direction a long time ago!

Hi, I’ve loads of colours mostly wella colour touch/colour touch plus. Currently I simply use the 88/03. Times coming to use something that lasts longer and covers better (not that it’s overly wrong).
So aside of these and the relevant developer's, I’ve an unopened bottle the Welloxon 9%. I noticed they don’t have 88/31 (only a 9/31 and 10/31), but wondered if you can use the 88/ mixed with /30 /1? This might be a ridiculous suggestion, as said I’ve not coloured anyone’s else’s hair for 20 years plus, just my own so I’m afraid my knowledge is limited. I became a cutter and rarely coloured - just how things turned out. Life took a change of direction a long time ago!
So personally I think I'd ditch the 88/0 as you'll probably find that it's warmer and darker in a permanent shade, especially as you're lifting the hair. I think I'd probably opt for Illumina 8/13 with 6%
Your other option would be koleston perfect 8/38 might be a better option as the /8 in the colour will help neutralise any excess warmth, but still leave you with a subtle gold tone again with 6%. If you're transitioning from colour touch plus to permanent I wouldn't go any higher than 6%on the root for now.

Thank you for your help and suggestions, I have the remnants of highlights on the mid lengths and ends, again mostly top section/half head as opposed to whole. I don’t suit too much ash, need the warmth but personally don’t want it too golden. I also found koleston Perfect me+ in 8/00 7/00 and 9/16 and another 7/00 pure naturals (not me+).
All unopened, so I clearly chickened out of whatever I was pondering at the time.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help and suggestions, I have the remnants of highlights on the mid lengths and ends, again mostly top section/half head as opposed to whole. I don’t suit too much ash, need the warmth but personally don’t want it too golden. I also found koleston Perfect me+ in 8/00 7/00 and 9/16 and another 7/00 pure naturals (not me+).
All unopened, so I clearly chickened out of whatever I was pondering at the time.
8/00 is very natural you could use 3 parts 8/00and 1 part 9/16 with 6% this would give you a nice colour.

8/00 is very natural you could use 3 parts 8/00and 1 part 9/16 with 6% this would give you a nice colour.
Not too light? Also will it cover the white areas enough, hence my assuming I’d need a double bass. My problem is my worst white patch is right at the top of my head, so looks worse for its location aside . I only do my regrowth, as the ends are lighter which I quite like at my age. If change, would you brush down to mid lengths to fuse with existing or do the entire upper section roots to tips?

How white are the patches, and how resistant to colour are those areas?

Well, if you took a £1 coin (possibly a £2 coin) and placed it centrally at the highest point of my fringe, that’s about the area and it’s pretty white if not completely. Other two areas are far sides of fringe. The rest isn’t that bad at all, nothing I’d be overly unhappy about if had to leave as is. Loved the Pretty resistant, the colour touch plus in true form covers about 70% I was until recently simply redoing the roots with a 7:00 colour touch, nearer my natural tone but thought going lighter at the front makes sense now as it is. Hence the 88/03 and then only that because that’s the choice. Don’t mind the colour (wouldn’t want more warmth) but it simply doesn’t last long enough. Looking down on my head, there’s a noticeable lighter patch, which is what I’d prefer to loose. Hope I’m not exhausting your patience and expertise! I’ve always steered clear of permanent colour but I’m chasing my tail nowadays. :)

Well, if you took a £1 coin (possibly a £2 coin) and placed it centrally at the highest point of my fringe, that’s about the area and it’s pretty white if not completely. Other two areas are far sides of fringe. The rest isn’t that bad at all, nothing I’d be overly unhappy about if had to leave as is. Loved the Pretty resistant, the colour touch plus in true form covers about 70% I was until recently simply redoing the roots with a 7:00 colour touch, nearer my natural tone but thought going lighter at the front makes sense now as it is. Hence the 88/03 and then only that because that’s the choice. Don’t mind the colour (wouldn’t want more warmth) but it simply doesn’t last long enough. Looking down on my head, there’s a noticeable lighter patch, which is what I’d prefer to loose. Hope I’m not exhausting your patience and expertise! I’ve always steered clear of permanent colour but I’m chasing my tail nowadays. :)
Ahh okay, maybe you would be better off just using 8/00 try that see how it goes. If you need better coverage or a change in tone, then play around with it. As for the lighter sections through the ends, I'd normally foil those sections out and just paint the root colour on. You wouldn't do this every time though obviously.

Ahh okay, maybe you would be better off just using 8/00 try that see how it goes. If you need better coverage or a change in tone, then play around with it. As for the lighter sections through the ends, I'd normally foil those sections out and just paint the root colour on. You wouldn't do this every time though obviously.
Okay, so last question, you still wouldn’t use 88/00? Perhaps mixed with the 9/16 as you suggested?

Okay, so last question, you still wouldn’t use 88/00? Perhaps mixed with the 9/16 as you suggested?
You could use 88/0 but to get the benifits of the extreme coveregage which is designed for really resistant white hair then you'd have to mix it with special mix to add tone. When you mix the double basses with standard fashion shades, you loose the extra coverage.

You could use 88/0 but to get the benifits of the extreme coveregage which is designed for really resistant white hair then you'd have to mix it with special mix to add tone. When you mix the double basses with standard fashion shades, you loose the extra coverage.
Many thanks, understood. Your help has been appreciated.

Last edited:
Many thanks, understood. Your help has been appreciated.
Just to update: I bought a 9/31 and did 3 parts 8/00 to 1 part of the 9/31. Just did half my head, it’s blended very well with the lighter ends and my natural colour, with very good coverage on the white! Perfect! Thanks for your help. :)

Just to update: I bought a 9/31 and did 3 parts 8/00 to 1 part of the 9/31. Just did half my head, it’s blended very well with the lighter ends and my natural colour, with very good coverage on the white! Perfect! Thanks for your help. :)
Replying to myself for good reason - my update would be that the resistant area is not covered completely. It’s definitely still lighter than the surrounding area, it doesn’t bother me particularly as it’s not white! But I would Definitely use 88/or 99/ next time for that extra boost, I’ll mix 3-1 with a tone such as 9/16, 9/31 or indeed the 8/96 and see what happens. At least it’ll be on my own head, I won’t be experimenting on some other poor sole! Just a shame I have this white patch on the top of my head and not the side or somewhere slightly more attractive.

Replying to myself for good reason - my update would be that the resistant area is not covered completely. It’s definitely still lighter than the surrounding area, it doesn’t bother me particularly as it’s not white! But I would Definitely use 88/or 99/ next time for that extra boost, I’ll mix 3-1 with a tone such as 9/16, 9/31 or indeed the 8/96 and see what happens. At least it’ll be on my own head, I won’t be experimenting on some other poor sole! Just a shame I have this white patch on the top of my head and not the side or somewhere slightly more attractive.
8/0 will give you better coverage than 8/00.
88/0 is a lot denser. Its almost the same as 7/0 a lot of the time. But glad you figured it out anyway :)

What was the colour like? What measurements are 3 parts to 1

Latest posts

Back