Help asking hair stylist to fix my hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazberries

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I really hope someone, more specifically a pro hair stylist who would be able to give me his/her point of view, can help me out with this issue. About three weeks ago, I went to a hair stylist to dye my hair purple. I have very dark brown hair and she recommended that for my complexion (I'm middle eastern, but I have light skin) she'd do a richer, darker purple with some silver-purple balayage. I was all for it. The first time she did my hair, it was done beautifully. I was so happy with it and I seriously hadn't felt that confident in the longest time. About 5 days went by and I finally washed my hair for the first time, and all of the purple had completely washed out. I was so confused. I know that unnatural hair color would be high maintenance and require regular touch ups, but I definitely was expecting it to last longer than just one wash! I've had bright orange-red hair that lasted longer than that. I called her up and I told her what happened and she told me to come back in to fix it. I was, obviously, expecting her to do what she originally did, but I went in, she slapped on purple dye all over my head, and washed it an hour later. I was, again, confused, because the first time she dyed it with the balayage, it took hours. When I went back, it took 10 minutes. So, I trusted her, and left the salon feeling unhappy. It didn't look anything like it originally did. There was no balayage, no dimension, no highlights, nothing. It was just straight up purple. I decided to wait it out and see how it faded. It didn't wash out right away like the first time, but it definitely didn't fade out to how it was when it was first done. The purple was somehow completely gone under the top layers of my hair, and the purple that was still left looked terrible, like I had dyed my hair purple a year ago and just never touched it up. I tried to just deal with it cause I didn't want to keep asking her to fix it, but a couple days ago I thought, "I paid $200 for my hair, I should definitely love it and be happy with it and get what I paid for!" So I contacted her again and told her that I wasn't satisifed and to just go with a more natural hair color, but that I still wanted a change from my natural hair and still wanted balayage. I specifically said that I wanted a LIGHT GOLDEN brown WITH balayage. So, I go back in to see her and she's understanding about the situation, and asks again what I want to do with my hair, and I again say that I want a light golden brown with balayage. She starts to strip the purple from my hair and dyes it. I wait. She blow dries. THE END RESULT IS MY NATURAL DARK BROWN HAIR!!!!!! I am sitting there BAFFLED. She says it will lighten up with a couple washes, and THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED. I can't believe it! I even tipped her more money when I left because I felt bad for coming back a second time for her to fix my hair, and because she didn't ask for me to pay extra. I really wish I hadn't tipped her. I paid $200+ just to end up with my natural hair color. Why on earth would I pay that much to have my hair dyed my natural hair color?! Now I am super irritated. She put absolutely no effort at all into my hair after the first visit. So, my question to all of you is, what should I do??? Should I tell her to fix it AGAIN. I'm not one to keep nagging and I hate confrontation, but this is ridiculous! I feel like I just threw my money in a trash can and walked away. I also want to mention that I am a full-time student, so I can't afford to do stuff like this frequently. I like change and to do fun things with my hair and style, but I expect those changes to last. I'm just so upset. What should I do? If you guys recommend that I do ask her to fix it again, what should I do or say to her so she won't mess it up again and actually do what I ask for?? I just feel like she won't put in any more effort, so that's mainly why I'm hesitant to say anything to her. Please give me your input! I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:
I would suggest you speak to the manager of the salon and calmly put across your story, explaining everything that's happened, any decent manager will get that sorted for you x

Latest posts

Back