Help....Bleach disaster!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19740

Reaction score
I have naturally dark brown hair and have been having blonde highlights in it for years. Anyway, don't ask me why, but me and my friend (another nail professional) decided to bleach my hair all over.

We put 9% all over my hair and left it on for an hour. It went orange, so we dried it and re-applied the bleach. Needless to say it burnt like mad so I washed it off and now it is a very light yellow. I need some advice about what to do now - (this was done yesterday). I want to tone it to an ash but dunno whether I can tone it now as it's been 24hrs since it was bleached and whether it will make any difference. Also I don't wanna damage it anymore - my scalp has completely scabbed up and i'm surprised my hair is still in my head!! :eek:

I have intensive conditioners / treatments already due to having bleached highlights. So I know it goes without saying that I need to practically live in conditioner for the foreseeable future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (I know i'm stupid....:rolleyes:)

i would get yourself to a hair salon pronto, and let them look at your scalp and then decide what can be done

what did you actually use???
brand and strength???

hi sorry about your hair. I would go in a salon and ask. I wouldn't risk putting anything else on without having it tested. For one your scalp will be very sensitive and your hair will be very porous, so it can either grab a colour or will through the colour off. You need to have it tested really. It is very difficult to advise on this sort of thing without seeing it. I know this is probably not what you want to hear. Hope this helps a bit

sorry if i read this wrong but did you just use 9% and thats it on your hair ? didnt you mix it with anything ?
i would deffo get to a salon pronto !!

Thanks for your advice. I had used Teknique Basic 9% 30 vol with Indola Profession Rapid Blonde 1:2.

Anyway, panic sort of over - I got some Wella Color Fresh Toner in 0/6 Silver and put that on and it's took all the yellow out and now i'm left with a Gwen Stefani-esque platinum blonde. Luckily enough it's not broke off. :)

Just wondered if you had ever experienced a sore scalp before, have you had? a recent skin sensitivity test performed? How is your scalp now?

Glad you are now sorted, I recommend a few reconstructant treatments to help condition the hair and scalp.

I wouldn't say my scalp is sensitive normally to be honest. It is better today than yesterday - still scabby though. Just gonna have to be extra careful with it in case it takes a turn for the worst .....:eek:

i would get yourself to a hair salon pronto, and let them look at your scalp and then decide what can be done

Oh I wish I had a pound for every client that did this.....especially at this time of the year when we are already rushed off our feet, please dont mess with your hair ladies unles you know what your doing, frazzled over bleached hair is usually a lost cause, we are cannot perform miracles (yet)!!:smack::irked::eek::rolleyes:

u was lucky gal ... surprises me that the toner worked that well specially if it was orange .. ha ho and ho ho ho .. happy gwenny staffy xmas:)

btw itll fade like f ... so next time toner wise try koleston 9/8 works n poss 20 vol
(6%) f'n works a treat :) and re scalp no pain no gain .. gotta be tough to be a blonde try a menthol scalp cond treat on it n leave it b for a bit :eek:

Hi, are you sure the powder bleach said you could use 9% for on the scalp applications?

Its just that I have used this brand and I'm pretty sure they recommend no higher than 6% for on the scalp applications

Most bleaches say on the pack to use no higher than 6% on the scalp applications :hug: x

Hi, are you sure the powder bleach said you could use 9% for on the scalp applications?

Its just that I have used this brand and I'm pretty sure they recommend no higher than 6% for on the scalp applications

Most bleaches say on the pack to use no higher than 6% on the scalp applications :hug: x

I use 9% all the time in the salon for lift. 20 years ago we used to use 60 vol :rolleyes:would you believe it! Blisters n all.

If you can get a base of 5 up to a 9 or 10 using 6% plz tell me the brand of bleach. Cos my customers moan like crazy if its orangey (!) at the roots. You can double apply but its a close call. ... I find heat .. less development time and careful watching works oh and a toner. I am using Indola Blue dust free .. kinda drifted to it .. watcha using Minky n folks?

Hi , I use a high lift bleach called proclere oil bleach
specially made for on the scalp bleaching only
from a level 5 it produces up and beyond (that very pale blonde )
without the burning or the itch ,
it comes with sachets for the degree of lightness you want

its so much less discomfort for the client and I only ever use 6% with it
check it out its fab and fast too .

I get mine from salons direct ,
they also do proclere toners in a range of tones to match :hug: x

Wella also do a lovely Colour Fresh toner for blond bleached hair in 0/6 sliver ,

The hair first needs to be lightened past that baby chicken yellow blonde and up to that light creamy stage with the proclere oil bleach ,

(but don't go past the creamy stage or condition may be lost and toner will not hold ),

Then when the 0/6 toner is used after washing off the proclere oil bleach , it will give that white platinum blonde look

ps , always follow all manufactures instructions and always preform strand tests and skin tests before any bleach or tint procedure

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for your replies :cool: all your advice is top and i'm really greatful. Yes I know i'm a fool for bleaching it without really knowing what i'm doing. It was actually a friend who is a hairdresser who said put 9% on. I will definately try some of your suggestions next time. (I'm scared to death for when my roots come thru!!!). :eek:

crikey count ur lucky stars ur hair didnt break off! matrix vlites is brilliant and not half as harsh as bleach, we always always use either a silver indola mouse or a silver shampoo on clients when their foils turn out a little brassy, you would be so surprised at how much it actually works! (me going from a 5 rv to platinum only knows 2 well!) u have 2 really work it in tho in sections 2 get a good result. fabulous. i wouldnt worry 2 much about ur roots bcoz virgin hair is always so much eassier 2 lift, when it comes 2 doing them, so long as ur scalp is healed, i would go down 2 a 20% though! and use heat, but keep a close eye!

good luck gwen and a happy new year!! xxxx :)

crikey count ur lucky stars ur hair didnt break off! matrix vlites is brilliant and not half as harsh as bleach, we always always use either a silver indola mouse or a silver shampoo on clients when their foils turn out a little brassy, you would be so surprised at how much it actually works! (me going from a 5 rv to platinum only knows 2 well!) u have 2 really work it in tho in sections 2 get a good result. fabulous. i wouldnt worry 2 much about ur roots bcoz virgin hair is always so much eassier 2 lift, when it comes 2 doing them, so long as ur scalp is healed, i would go down 2 a 20% though! and use heat, but keep a close eye!

Hiya some great advice there , and I can tell you are well up on your colouring too , I must try the indola on the foils as it sounds good .
I think you may meant to say 20 volume or 6%
not 20% (but keep a close eye) :eek: LOL :hug: x minky

I would be careful using the indola silver mousse. It has metallic salts in it, I have banned it in my salon, green is a colour I like to avoid! *lol

I would be careful using the indola silver mousse. It has metallic salts in it, I have banned it in my salon, green is a colour I like to avoid! *lol

Hi thanks for pointing that out I really didn't think that metallic salts were allowed these days :eek: it just goes to show that you can never be to careful
thanks again :hug:

Thanks for all the good advice!! My hair has slightly broke (at the front mainly) and it is a bit dry but not bad. I'm having a few toning problems though as one I tried (Revlon Nutri-Colour 1002) turned it purple-grey. I liked the Wella Color Fresh Toner I tried as posted but it still is a bit yellowy - especially underneath. Would really prefer it completely white...any ideas -is the koleston 9/8 my best bet...scared about putting anymore bleach on though????

Latest posts

Back