Help!! Business advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella'B

Reaction score
Arr so here we go ... (this is my first post so it may be a little rough round the edges)

Iv done my NVQ level 2&3 in massage, NVQ in media make-up, St Tropez spray tanning course anddd finally my favorite the Bio Sculpting course. But i'm currently practicing lashes with Flirties. I prefer doing the nails, waxing, tinting and the spray tans.

Im currently at a salon at the moment paying 3 days a week rent (Thursday, Friday&Sat) and working for the owner doing waxing ect... on Tuesday and Wednesday. I also work in a pub Sunday, Monday&Tuesday night to keep my money coming in as im only new and trying to build up my clientele. I did a KGB deal, of witch didnt go as i planned as i feel the clients who came were just interested in the cheep offer and would move onto the next KGB deal :rolleyes: buttt i did gain at least 8 clients returning for infills. But to top it all off some of the clients said the salon was FREEZING, and were sat in there coats the hole time. Also how the salon looks a bit fuddy duddy (And i agree with them, Iv tried my best the clean it up to make it look cleaner and nicer, but my boss just doesnt look after it. That makes me feel rubbish so then i think to myself why should I clean her salon if she cant be botherd!!)

Anyway so iv been looking for somewhere new, and found a lady whos wanting someone to rent the top room of her salon. The salon is in a quite well to do area and is above a well established hairdressers. Although i have a feeling the rent is going to be a bit more than my current salon, and ill need to buy a few things for the room. At the moment im skint :sad: and im working at the pub to help for the up keep of my car and to buy some products and bio gel. Im going on Saturday to have a look and discuss any quires.

Finallyyyyy, I think what im most worried about is having to pay more rent and starting off fresh. How long did it take you geeks through your first few years to start off? Do you think (if rent isnt to much&the salon is alot nicer) i should just go for the plunge?!

Please help me:| xxx

If you can afford to move then you must go, better area, better salon, more clientele who will return! Wow your one buzy lady. Good luck with whatever you decide. Xx

Last edited:
Yes go for it! Especially if the new salon is nice and clean and warm! You will built up a good clientele from the hair clients! I opened my home salon in sept and have doubled my clientelle from it being clean warm and welcoming even though it's away from the town! Just Di monthly deals and get a face book page!! It's the best free advertising! Good luck just go for it!!! And am sure ur clients will follow you xxx

j'adore beauty, i adore your salon. Your photos are what inspired me to get a room, because your salon looks so friendly and clean and WARM! I think if i can afford it im going to just go for it :D xx

I sure admire your pluck,get up and go, and determination.

Don't just take the first thing you see. If you are thinking of moving then look around a bit. I personally don't like upstairs positions because clients generally don't like climbing the stairs! Look for location ... Parking should be very handy, most important. Just look before you leap. Weigh everything up.

I dont just want to feel like om blaiming the salon though, but do you geeks think that decor and a warm salon will bring clients in and back? I just feel like im making exscuses to find some where new :-s

at the end of the day u need to do what u need to do for urself this business goes on taking risks, everyone gets worried and questions there choices but i think sometimes u have to grab the bull by the horn, it depends on how busy u r there and remember ur self employed u have to make a living hun. like myself u do a lot to make money and u need to b somewhere that can give u the clientele have a look at the salon and think about what u can do there to maximise ur client base u have a hairdressers below u could quite easily get clients from there and its a well to do area. xx

j'adore beauty, i adore your salon. Your photos are what inspired me to get a room, because your salon looks so friendly and clean and WARM! I think if i can afford it im going to just go for it :D xx

Awhh bells b!!! That is so llovely thanks so much!!! I'm touched!! U will do well hun!! Just do it !! Hugs!! Xxx

Riggghhhtttt here I go AGAIN!

So this morning I went off to my interview at the new salon. Well i don't know where to start. You enter the salon through the hairdressers of witch may i say alone was amazing (resent referb), the staff was really nice and welcoming and showed me the way to the salon. At the top of the stairs was the owner of the salon who welcomed me and showed me around. Well i must of had my mouth open druling alllllll the way round, it was beautiful (recant referb) and my room ... GEZZ it was huge!! I could see loads of potential, there was plenty of parking, posters in the hairdressers about the salon above, the hairdressers was packed at 9 o'clock, she does alot of advertising and handing out fryers to the surrounding areas, she is dead set on what products she likes and promotes them very well. I asked her if she was busy and why she was looking for someone new (i.e why did the last lady leave) and she said shes been in the industry for 8 years and has build up a very good clientele and also the last lady had gone mobile and set up at home. BUT it gets better she was also a Bio tec and she left alot of clientele at the salon as the clients didnt was mobile as it was convenient for them to have there hair and nails done in the same building, so she said she had most of there numbers and they told her to contact them when she had found a new Bio tec as they love the product. Just everything about this salon made me very giddy, i was like a kid in a sweet shop!

Down side ... the rent is double what im paying now (but reading other threads the rent shes asking sounds reasonable) im still alittle worried about not making enough to pay it. But i suppose im only 20 and still live at home, i rather take the risk now rather than later on in life when im having to pay for a mortgage.

What do you geeks think? xx

Riggghhhtttt here I go AGAIN!

So this morning I went off to my interview at the new salon. Well i don't know where to start. You enter the salon through the hairdressers of witch may i say alone was amazing (resent referb), the staff was really nice and welcoming and showed me the way to the salon. At the top of the stairs was the owner of the salon who welcomed me and showed me around. Well i must of had my mouth open druling alllllll the way round, it was beautiful (recant referb) and my room ... GEZZ it was huge!! I could see loads of potential, there was plenty of parking, posters in the hairdressers about the salon above, the hairdressers was packed at 9 o'clock, she does alot of advertising and handing out fryers to the surrounding areas, she is dead set on what products she likes and promotes them very well. I asked her if she was busy and why she was looking for someone new (i.e why did the last lady leave) and she said shes been in the industry for 8 years and has build up a very good clientele and also the last lady had gone mobile and set up at home. BUT it gets better she was also a Bio tec and she left alot of clientele at the salon as the clients didnt was mobile as it was convenient for them to have there hair and nails done in the same building, so she said she had most of there numbers and they told her to contact them when she had found a new Bio tec as they love the product. Just everything about this salon made me very giddy, i was like a kid in a sweet shop!

Down side ... the rent is double what im paying now (but reading other threads the rent shes asking sounds reasonable) im still alittle worried about not making enough to pay it. But i suppose im only 20 and still live at home, i rather take the risk now rather than later on in life when im having to pay for a mortgage.

What do you geeks think? xx

welll I think u should go with your heart and your gut, and seems like u had a pretty good vibe about it all. If you dont then u wont know.. if u dont then ull wonder.. it all sounds very positive to me and like there is very much potential. Also, remember that even if u are paying less rent now, the salon u are considering seem to be a busy one so rather pay higher rent and have clients than pay little and have no clients. I think it sounds like a good opportunity but you gotta do whats best for u, good luck whatever u do!

u already know what u have to do, its just scary taking those steps into something new but i personally think with ur attitude u will go very far, u kno what u want so take it with both hands and like someone said if u dont ull always b asking what if. xxxx

welll I think u should go with your heart and your gut, and seems like u had a pretty good vibe about it all. If you dont then u wont know.. if u dont then ull wonder.. it all sounds very positive to me and like there is very much potential. Also, remember that even if u are paying less rent now, the salon u are considering seem to be a busy one so rather pay higher rent and have clients than pay little and have no clients. I think it sounds like a good opportunity but you gotta do whats best for u, good luck whatever u do!

The owner may want double what you are paying now but you can always negotiate with her and ask her to help to ease you into the full rent by letting you pay x amount per week for the first month, y amount per week for the second month and full price the third month, to help while you build your clientele. MOST reasonable people would do that ... After all, it is also in their interest that you succeed.

People forget that a contract works both ways. You can ask for things you want too if you are going to be renting! They may say no, but there is no harm in asking. Good luck.

Aww thank you so much everyone for the help and support! Im phoning her later to let her know my answer, so ill ask a couple more questions then :) xx

Latest posts

Back