Help - calling all male therapist beauty & hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanilulu

Reaction score
Hi,

I teach at a school, for the 1st time since we started we have our first male student.
The pupils pick options in yr 8 / so in yr 9 start their course - Principal Learning Diploma In Hair & Beauty ...
(This qualification is an introductory into our world and is mainly theory based with a few practical units - hand care / skin care & make up / history of hair styles - etc)
Their first lesson was yesterday and I think he was a bit over whelmed for the first half hr by him and a class of girls ... Myself and the girls did get to to stay and iv said that at any point if he feels it's not the course for him we can get him swapped but I really want him to stay, he has said its hair he's interested in and this is what he wants to do when he leaves school to train in hair) but once I said about the beauty side that he could have male manicures / facials but only if he wanted and would not be having make up etc on as it's totally inappropriate (for some males at least) he seemed more relaxed and said he'd like to stay ... Yeah ...!!!
As a group we talked about famous male therapist and hairdressers (spoke about Katie Price / her show and her therapists - being all male - hairdresser / make up artist / manicurist etc ... and said there is a real niche in the market, as there are so few.
Home work I set for the group was to find me a list of famous hairdressers / therapist who are male.

So I'm after some help - id really like some stories from male therapist .. beauty and hair to give me some tips / guidance etc.
What did you want to do?
How did you get into hair / beauty ?
How was your training ?
what do you do now ?
Also i would like to hear from males who have their own brands like Mr Geek etc

Thanks in advance ... <3

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Based on geography, I'd have a word with Mat in Wolverhampton - The Treatment Den : Massage, Shellac, Waxing, Beauty in Wolverhampton - who has a very successful home-based salon catering to both male and female clients - and is an experienced trainer in male waxing too.

Then there's Andy Rouillard - Male Waxing Training - Men's Brazilian Waxing Courses - Axiom Wax Academy - who is a total inspiration to the beauty industry - and has probably done more than any other man to promote male treatments (and in particular waxing) in the UK.

There's several other lovely male geeks on here, who I'm sure would be delighted to help too.

Thank you ... That's a great start ... I know a male hairdresser who I may try to talk into coming in and giving a professional discussion when in comes to the business unit ... I just need to work out how il twist his arm lol ... Xxx

Cool! And if you ever wanted someone to speak on transgender issues, I'd be happy to help with that too, e.g. how to welcome transgender clients, and how to avoid embarrassing mistakes such as addressing a transgender client who is presenting as a woman as "Sir", for example.

Oh wow that would be great - ill def come back to you when I need that as would be fantastic for them all.
Xxxx

Oh wow that would be great - ill def come back to you when I need that as would be fantastic for them all.
Xxxx

Fab, thank you! I know both Mat and Andy well too; they're both lovely guys, and very passionate about the beauty industry.

Great - really want lots of males to get in touch. I really want to get all my groups into thinking about this and when doing all their research.
I really want to inspire him into staying (and all the girls of course)
Thanks I know Matt Eve is on here so I'll be sending him a MSG too ... Lol ...
Xxx

Hi,

I teach at a school, for the 1st time since we started we have our first male student.
The pupils pick options in yr 8 / so in yr 9 start their course - Principal Learning Diploma In Hair & Beauty ...
(This qualification is an introductory into our world and is mainly theory based with a few practical units - hand care / skin care & make up / history of hair styles - etc)
Their first lesson was yesterday and I think he was a bit over whelmed for the first half hr by him and a class of girls ... Myself and the girls did get to to stay and iv said that at any point if he feels it's not the course for him we can get him swapped but I really want him to stay, he has said its hair he's interested in and this is what he wants to do when he leaves school to train in hair) but once I said about the beauty side that he could have male manicures / facials but only if he wanted and would not be having make up etc on as it's totally inappropriate (for some males at least) he seemed more relaxed and said he'd like to stay ... Yeah ...!!!
As a group we talked about famous male therapist and hairdressers (spoke about Katie Price / her show and her therapists - being all male - hairdresser / make up artist / manicurist etc ... and said there is a real niche in the market, as there are so few.
Home work I set for the group was to find me a list of famous hairdressers / therapist who are male.

So I'm after some help - id really like some stories from male therapist .. beauty and hair to give me some tips / guidance etc.
What did you want to do?
How did you get into hair / beauty ?
How was your training ?
what do you do now ?
Also i would like to hear from males who have their own brands like Mr Geek etc

Thanks in advance ... <3

Hi sanilulu,
I know this was a while ago, but just wondering if you got much feedback from this?
I'm a HND student and about to start me research project - I think this would be a good one- men in the beauty industry and why it is still dominated by women.
I'd appreciate any help!!
Thanks

Latest posts

Back