Help, can't get anyone in for tans

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leesse

Reaction score
I love spray tanning and have advertised on Facebook but just can't get any new bookings. I'm mobile and have advertised tan parties etc. I'm charging £15 which is the going rate in my area. Gutted as I want things to get off the ground. Any ideas? Thanks, Lisa x

Leese, just an idea, what about you go around the venues that brides have their wedding receptions and talk to the manager/ress to see if they would recommend you and maybe as part of what they do, you could tie in with them and say that you will spray tan the bride for free as long as she has another two or more tans at £ 15.00.

Check out my entry to Kitty about a website package and a domain name, it might help to get you on a website.

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/141452-good-deal.html

I really think to be on the web is a must, as if someone types in spray tanning in Cheshire it could be your site they are looking at first.

I have also thought about everyone on here who are not in compettition all having links of their own website, so as an example, you would add my site in Clydach, Swansea and in return I would add your site in Chesire.

Why not try renting a room out in a salon, as long as they don't want to charge you the earth.

I hope you get more ideas and Good Luck.

i really didnt like the idea of it at first but i advertised on gumtree and tradeit and that was really good, also yell.com is a good one to go on, i didnt do the paid package though and i still get found on there :D

Hi Leesse,

One of our customers has just started and they printed 10,000 flyers and handed them out in the town centre on a Saturday afternoon.

The girl got a few friends to help and they targetted people who looked 'tannable'...

The flyers cost £129.

You can find good deals online, try Business Cards|Letterheads|Flyers|A5|A4|A3 Leaflets Design|Printing Company Services UK

The conversion was quite low but they did get 15 bookings so the flyers paid for themselves. If you can retain the customers you've got repeat business and usually people start to tell their friends about your service.

Word of mouth is the most potent form of advertising...

Just be careful handing flyers out in indoor shopping centres as you will need permission first. Also pick up any litter as people sometimes just throw them on the floor and you don't want the council on your back.

As well as Gumtree, try Vivastreet.

The best advice, as previously stated is to get a website :)

Regards,

OMG

Thank you for the great advice, I do have a website by vistaprint but not very good on the technical stuff! Just had some flyers printed today so going to do a leaflet drop when they arrive! Will see if I can put them in bridal shops too, perhaps. Takes time I suppose x

Maybe use the clients u have to do the work for you by some kind of referral scheme. Introduce a friend and get 10% off both tans or something along they lines. Same old problem.... When they are happy with ur work they tell 2 ppl but if they are unhappy they tell 20 ppl. Give them an incentive and see if u can turn that round. It's worked for us. Good luck x

Maybe use the clients u have to do the work for you by some kind of referral scheme. Introduce a friend and get 10% off both tans or something along they lines. Same old problem.... When they are happy with ur work they tell 2 ppl but if they are unhappy they tell 20 ppl. Give them an incentive and see if u can turn that round. It's worked for us. Good luck x

What a good idea! thank you !

i do spray tanning and im from cheshire i charge £15 to would of liked to of charged £20 but our area has seemed to have really dropped there prices i have found it harder this year think its coz there are so many charging £10 or less dont know how they afford to do it

If you haven't already done so I would suggest adding yourself on google maps, its free and has got me a lot of my clients. It does take time, I have a strong client base now so do get a lot from word of mouth and also sites like netmums, mumsnet. Hope that helps. x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I offer a tan club,i charge £60 for the month for each client,thay have as many tans thay wish in that time,works out 4to5 in the month.

Hi there, I just got 40 extra tan customers in 3 hours,
The secret is "loss leader" you have to more or less give them away to get people back,
I have just bought the maximist ultra which is supposed to be the best possible system so purely on Facebook where I have added every body possible in the local villages and places your willing to travel to and I wound them up...
"HeadQuarters have a big announcement, it a an introduction to the team and it's not human... Along with the unveiling will be the biggest offer imaginable!!! Even if it doesn't concerne you, still have a look as we guarantee you will rush to tell your friends, come back to our page tomorrow at 6pm to see what it is! Set a reminder in your phone!"
Make a huge deal about it, keep copy and pasting every hour, boring for you annoying for them but I now now it works,
Then
HeadQuarters would like to formally introduce their industry leading spray tanning system "MAX" (maximist) then a description about it..... Offers to follow...
To celebrate out new addition we are having the best offer yet! The first 20 people who call up after 9am on Thursday(pick a day bout 5 days away) will get the very best tan for just £1 and then the 2nd 20 people will get them for only £5!!!
Then keep copy and pasting, absolutely blather Facebook with it, then put other stuff like..
"attention love birds! Love to see your partner with a sexy sunkissed body? Then buy them a gift of a spray tan for only £1!
Then sit back and hammer Facebook, we have 700 friends on Facebook, £1 tans went in 11 minutes and like I say all 40 had gone in 3 hours, for us we were also selling hair appointments and waxing etc, a lot have been in and loved them, bought tan extending moisturiser and there is a big buzz about headquarters in and around us.
It costs us 2.46 per tan, I guarantee 30 of them will be back for a full price tan,
I've waffled in this thread because it was a big drive. If you want to add us and ask questions, or look on our wall for ideas then it's HeadQuarter-hair. I don't mind helping anybody with marketing or sales as You helping the industry boom helps my profits :)

By the way that's just 1 idea there's a bunch if other ideas like sponsoring local slimming worlds biggest loser and spraying them infront of 30 wanna be beautifuls, or donating personalised pizza boxes to takeaways, sounds daft but if I saw something odd on my pizza biz I'd read it!, not to blow my own trumpet but all the way from technology, interior design, car advertising, marketing and even customer facing and how to act when your there, anything tan related and I have all the knowledge and more ideas than you can cope with, starting from free to do's upto spending money to make money :)

By the way that's just 1 idea there's a bunch if other ideas like sponsoring local slimming worlds biggest loser and spraying them infront of 30 wanna be beautifuls,

Oh dear, do you honestly think that if someone's attending a slimming club, that they feel confident and sexy enough to have a spray tan in front of 30 other people?! You can be pretty hard pushed getting them to undress for the therapist. So I'd say the odds of doing it publically were slim to none!!

(I've just re read this and realised how rude it sounds like I was being. Didn't mean it like that. Was half asleep when I wrote it. I'm normally more diplomatic lol)

Last edited:
Hi. I'm also from the Warrington area and have been mobile spray tanning for about 18 months. It really does take time and it can be disheartening because you really want to get going and then, nothing! Even now some weeks I have are really good. Other weeks I might just have one tan!

All the advice already given; google maps, ANY free website listings are priceless (literally).

Leaflets never really worked for me but could be different for you, its all about timing as well.

Don't know if you've heard of 'get the scoop-on' but if you google this its affliated with Warrington Guardian. You advertise your services for at least 50% off, also a percentage is taken and if you sell an agreed amount over 24 hrs the 'scoop is on', ie. the sales take place. I realise this doesn't really earn you much if mobile but it will get your name out there and hopefully some new clients, or you could alway ask people to come to you instead to cut costs. I see a lot of beauty therapists on this site, some tanning. Might be worth a try.

Keep plugging at it, you'll get there I'm sure. Good luck:hug:

Word of mouth is a good way to get new clients. Offer to spray friends and family for a low cost and when people comment on their tan they can send them to you.
I found hairdressers are good people to spray as they see so many differnt people and talk to them.
Offer to spray girls in a hair salon for £10 each, make a good job and theyll tell all their clients the next day about it and lave them some cards to hand out :) xxxx

Oh dear, do you honestly think that if someone's attending a slimming club, that they feel confident and sexy enough to have a spray tan in front of 30 other people?! You can be pretty hard pushed getting them to undress for the therapist. So I'd say the odds of doing it publically were slim to none!!

Well it's worked very well so far and the woman in charge of the slimming world has taken us upto 40 miles away to do other clubs she runs, it's all about looking good and feeling good isn't it?

I offer a tan club,i charge £60 for the month for each client,thay have as many tans thay wish in that time,works out 4to5 in the month.

Zonebeauty, This sounds like a really good idea .. have you come across any drawbacks or negatives?

Jacqui xx

Latest posts

Back