Help choosing a professional gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdg

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m looking for a bit of advice I’ve been working in salons on and off since 16. I am now wanting to be mobile and return to work after having little ones.
I have invested a lot of money in candycoat and I do get on with it. But have had couple problems with not curing or just peeling off.
So I’m thinking of changing my gel brand
Could you recommend some good professional gel nail brands for my future clients? tia x

Building gel ? Or gel polish ?

Every Nail Tech will have a personal favourite, so you are probably going to get a lot of replies :)

So I think it would help narrow down the search a bit if you can tell us what your priorities are:

1. Fast soak-off time
2. Low price
3. 3 to 4 weeks wear on natural nails without chipping or lifting
4. Customer support from the brand
5. "Hybrid" gel polish or "pure gel" gel polish
6. Hypoallergenic low allergy risk, or not important.

Are you using a builder gel polish? How many colours should be in the range?

Bob makes a good point. There are dozens of excellent pro brands, each with its own attributes and flaws. You need to prioritize your needs and wants. You should also remember that a good product is not just about what's in (or not in) the bottle - a good relationship with the vendor, good service, education, and support are all important elements of an excellent product.

Personally, OPI is my primary gel because I like the hybrid base, iconic colors, easy removal, and durability. I also use Gelish, LeChat, and Artistic Color Gloss. Were it available in my area, I would go with ikon.iq because it is hypoallergenic, which I think is the way of the future. In a post-COVID-19 world, allergies, sanitation, and hygiene are going to be HUGE issues that can make or break a business. I expect clients to be more aware of the products we use and the way that we use them. It is critical to think about that changing reality as we move forward.

hypoallergenic, which I think is the way of the future. In a post-COVID-19 world, allergies, sanitation, and hygiene are going to be HUGE issues that can make or break a business. I expect clients to be more aware of the products we use and the way that we use them. It is critical to think about that changing reality as we move forward.

I'm also convinced that in future, many more products will be hypoallergenic and like you, that in a post-COVID world allergies, sanitation, and hygiene are going to be major issues.

The only reason not to develop hypoallergenic products in the past, is the extra time and skill required by the chemist, and the R&D cost. Despite this, the price of hypoallergenic products is similar (and in some cases lower) than premium non-hypoallergenic products. So why not make a safer choice and also attract clients who care?

Another factor that can influence salon customers, is that today there 105 Million people with chronic allergies in Europe. This is estimated to increase to 50% of the population by 2025 by The European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI).

Although the link between general allergies and allergic contact dermatitis is not researched or proven (to my knowledge), it is probable that people with a compromised immune system have a higher risk. It is not uncommon for Nail Techs who test positive for acrylate allergies, to also have allergies to nickel, perfumes or other non-nail product ingredients. What is proven, is that the number of nail product related allergies both in Nail Techs and salon clients, has massively increased during the past few years and continues to do so.

And at the least, this 50% of the population with chronic allergies are going to ask many more questions about their food, exposure to chemicals and pollution, and cosmetics - at least those in this group who care will (some will continue to make high risk decisions regardless, but these are not the target salon clients a pro salon should aim for, as they are most likely focused on price and convenience).

According to a 2019 report by the European Environmental Agency, fine particulate matter (PM2.5) alone caused around 412,000 premature deaths in 41 European countries in 2016. This figure does not include the additional premature deaths caused by Nitrous Oxide also from vehicles (another +70,000). Compare this nearly 500,000 European deaths EVERY YEAR and increasing, with the 314,000 COVID-19 deaths until now Worldwide.

50 years ago, safety belts became a legal requirement in cars. Lead stopped being used in paint and toys in the 1970's. Today everyone understands the value of these decisions.

Change is slow until it captures public consciousness and reaches a tipping point. Same with animal cruelty and veganism (which 7% or 4.5 Million of the UK population now follow).

It is up to every Nail Tech to decide if they want to be behind the curve of change, or ahead of it.

Latest posts

Back