Help! Client having a reaction to creative nail products!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear3303

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do here--my client has had this happen before. Her real nails start lifting up from the beds---I thought she had a fungus, she got on meds, no improvement---then, something told me to switch from the creative acrylic to some stuff i bought at sally's beauty supply--one of their products, beauty secrets, I think---anyway, she got better, and it went away!!! But, the beauty secrets doesn't stay worth a flip. So, every week, she had lifting and they never stayed well, but her own nails were fine----this went on for a year, then i thought, i'm sick of this, maybe she's over the reaction to creative(the no primer kind)so i tried it again---all was well!!! Yea!! Until now-this took several months, mind you---now, they are lifting agin, (her nails from the bed) and now the cuticle is getting inflamed--so what should i do, go back to the beauty secrets??? Or, should i try OPI?? maybe she wouldn't be allergic to it, and maybe it would stay???? Any suggestions?? i see her this saturday---she wants to have the nails, she doesn't want to soak them off, i suggested doing that, and just putting tips with fibergass wraps on(I hate doing those, btw, could anything be more tedious???;))but she wants to keep her acrylic nails.
Plus, I was wondering, I have a bottle of primer(beauty secrets)that i use on her when we do the beauty secrets acrylic---does this stuff go bad? It's a full bottle, with no sediment floating around in it---but I was thinking, I have had it for a few years, maybe i should buy a new bottle? maybe it's old, and that's why that other stuff doesn't stay very well???
I just don't know what to do!! help! I don't want to screw up her nails!
:cry:

Hi there

Can't she just give her nails a break for a while?

Has primer always been used?

From what I know primer should be used with caution as it really dehydrates the nail bed by chemically burning off bacteria and grease from the surface of the nail. It's also highly caustic and this is why it should not come into contact with the skin. I believe many primers can damage the nail surface and over use will cause excessive damage to the nail plate and underlying tissues. I think it depends on the ingredients though, maybe this is what has happened?

Deb379

Thank you for your help!! No, i don't think it's the primer, cuz what she was reacting to was the creative stuff-the one you use without primer, the retention c, I beleive. She did fine with the beauty secrets stuff, and with that, I had to use primer. I guess i will fill her this saturday with the beauty secrets stuff, i just wonder if i should get new primer or not?? The bottle that i have is old--maybe 3 years old, bbut i don't use it very much, becasue i use the retention products. I hate to go out and buy opi or whatever, and have her react to that---it would be a waste of money!

Hi

Does it not have a use by date on? or can you not ring the manufacturer to ask how long the shelf life is?

Deb379

bear3303 said:
I'm not sure what to do here--my client has had this happen before. Her real nails start lifting up from the beds---I thought she had a fungus, she got on meds, no improvement---then, something told me to switch from the creative acrylic to some stuff i bought at sally's beauty supply--one of their products, beauty secrets, I think---anyway, she got better, and it went away!!! But, the beauty secrets doesn't stay worth a flip. So, every week, she had lifting and they never stayed well, but her own nails were fine----this went on for a year, then i thought, i'm sick of this, maybe she's over the reaction to creative(the no primer kind)so i tried it again---all was well!!! Yea!! Until now-this took several months, mind you---now, they are lifting agin, (her nails from the bed) and now the cuticle is getting inflamed--so what should i do, go back to the beauty secrets??? Or, should i try OPI?? maybe she wouldn't be allergic to it, and maybe it would stay???? Any suggestions?? i see her this saturday---she wants to have the nails, she doesn't want to soak them off, i suggested doing that, and just putting tips with fibergass wraps on(I hate doing those, btw, could anything be more tedious???;))but she wants to keep her acrylic nails.
Plus, I was wondering, I have a bottle of primer(beauty secrets)that i use on her when we do the beauty secrets acrylic---does this stuff go bad? It's a full bottle, with no sediment floating around in it---but I was thinking, I have had it for a few years, maybe i should buy a new bottle? maybe it's old, and that's why that other stuff doesn't stay very well???
I just don't know what to do!! help! I don't want to screw up her nails!
:cry:
A sign of over exposure is soft tissue inflamation....over a period of time............ the body is reacting to L&P contact.................
No nail products should ever touch the skin...............
So check your application technique, specially when doing any back bobbing to tidy up the smile line, does the brush touch any skin ?????
The signs of nail plate lifting can be due to trauma client cleaning to roughly under the enhancement and breaking the onychodermal band,excessive product shrinkage related to incorrect ratio and then popping the nail plate of its rails or nails being to long and putting pressure on the free edge.......this causing onycholisis nailplate seperation...........

True nail fungus, Onychomycosis, is very rare on fingers as this requires a dark, moist enviroment like a shoe ................
If it is to be found on the finger nail,it is due to trauma or damage to the nail plate......... where bacteria can become invasive in a body creavice.......

Some of the tell tale signs are, crumbling nail, nasty smell, and a yellow nail.........

Has she got anymedical contra indication ........... allergies, or illness, skin conditions ????
Switching products can work, but if there is any skin contact with any product , the client can over time become sensitive to this too......

So maybe switching systems to fibreglass could be an answer as it is on the bottom of the sensitivity ladder..................
It might be fiddly, but some of us love it with a passion lol..............Specilay the DN Fabric# system xxxx

JMHO

Maybe you could tell us a little bit more about yourself in you profile here on the site. Makes it easier for us to help and its interesting too.

How long have you been trained and where did you do your training? It seems strange to me that you do not know that the name of the product you use is Retention+ (not retention c). Which Creative Nail Academy did you train at and who was your trainer?

It is not normal for anyone to have a reaction to a nail product unless they repeatedly have it on their skin! Nail products should not touch the skin so as Ruth says, better look at your technique in this area very carefully.

Latest posts

Back