help, clients saying nails fell off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristie86

Reaction score
hey guys firstly am new on this so i dont know exactly what am doing.

but anyways i have started in this new salon an everything is going great except some of the clients arent coming back an the few that are coming back r saying their nails fell off within the first week!!
i always do my own nails an they stay on for ages.
has anyone got any good tips to make sure they stay on thanx
xxx

it is probably the clients that are pickers and biters so the nails don't stand a chance of lasting in the first place,
you could try working on your prep more, this is usually the reason for lifting,
enhancements do not just fall off,
no matter how hard you shake your hands in the air i bet none of them fall off :lol:

I agree with lobylou, it almost always comes down to your prep.... and make sure you are not working too wet or to dry...though it sounds like it may be too dry, but I could be wrong about that part.

Tell us what your prep consists of so we can help you out, hun :hug:

Hi. I'm sorry to hear about that as I have been through the same thing and I am currently working through it. I'm sure your situation isn't similar to mine but you never know! The other nail tech in my salon was purpously sabatoging my work by contaminating my supplies. I have since replaced all of my products and redoing my clients nails at no charge. I am also bringing my things home with me every night to prevent it from happening again. If you always did good work before and had no problems and all of a sudden you are having problems out of the blue, you might want to lock up your stuff, and you may even need to throw it away and buy new supplies. You cannot trust people unfortunately. Like I said, what happened to me is probably a rare occurance, but you can never be to careful. The girl I worked with cost me $500.00. I will never be careless again. Good luck and I hope you get to the bottom of your nail problem. :)

Hi. I'm sorry to hear about that as I have been through the same thing and I am currently working through it. I'm sure your situation isn't similar to mine but you never know! The other nail tech in my salon was purpously sabatoging my work by contaminating my supplies. I have since replaced all of my products and redoing my clients nails at no charge. I am also bringing my things home with me every night to prevent it from happening again. If you always did good work before and had no problems and all of a sudden you are having problems out of the blue, you might want to lock up your stuff, and you may even need to throw it away and buy new supplies. You cannot trust people unfortunately. Like I said, what happened to me is probably a rare occurance, but you can never be to careful. The girl I worked with cost me $500.00. I will never be careless again. Good luck and I hope you get to the bottom of your nail problem. :)
Yours is a terrible situation kitkat but i do think it is also a rare situation,
I think kirstys problems are more than likely down to inexperience, pressure of new job and a more thorough prep needed and possibly mix ratio not been spot on as ms matrix pointed out,
but we are all here to help one another so it will be problem solved soon,
shame we cant all come over to yours kitkat and sort out the minx that is causing all your problems :hug:

Yours is a terrible situation kitkat but i do think it is also a rare situation,
I think kirstys problems are more than likely down to inexperience, pressure of new job and a more thorough prep needed and possibly mix ratio not been spot on as ms matrix pointed out,
but we are all here to help one another so it will be problem solved soon,
shame we cant all come over to yours kitkat and sort out the minx that is causing all your problems :hug:
...and would we get it sorted too!!

but anyways i have started in this new salon an everything is going great except some of the clients arent coming back an the few that are coming back r saying their nails fell off within the first week!!
xxx

Welcome to the site x
Check out that you are following the correct procedure for your prep as this is a major cause of a lot of probs with lifting.
Practice is the next thing...not sure from your profile how long you have been trained and to what extent, so practice as much as you can on a nail trainer, tips and everybody that will let you.
Tutorials are here on the site that may be of help to you.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/12048-perfect-preparation-prevents-poor-performance.html
hth

it is probably the clients that are pickers and biters so the nails don't stand a chance of lasting in the first place,
you could try working on your prep more, this is usually the reason for lifting,
enhancements do not just fall off,
no matter how hard you shake your hands in the air i bet none of them fall off :lol:

i totally agree with loubylou....nails DO NOT just fall off your fingers....i had this with my sis in law...she said her nails just fell off :eek:...then mum told me she sat picking them...i wont do her nails again...i also had this with a nail bitter...she said 2 nails had just fallen off her fingers....chewing on her thumb enhancement as she said it.....i said stop doing THAT and none will come off....if you think its your prep then do bit more but i bet they are pickers....xxx

i would ask to see their nails

i hope you get it sorted real soon hun

Kristie,
First--HOLA from the United States!!!
Since I am not there to see what your prep is, I am just going to give you a bit of advice.
Never let the client know you are new at nails. EVER!!! They will always use this to their advantage. As in --my nails just popped off. I got this quite a bit and deep inside I knew that they were not being truthful. My nails always stayed on, why were theirs falling off. They were not, that's why!! I had one client tell me she was in her kitchen and they all just flew off her hands! Can you imagine? Like a tiddlywink game??? I almost died laughing. I told her that she needed to remember the first time I did her nails I told her that my nails do not pop off. They can be pried off, but never do they become loose and fall off.
YOu need to tell all your new clients the same thing. Give them the new nail lecture!! If they know from the get go, they will not come back and tell you. If they do, then remind them.
But the newbie thing is almost the death of us. They do not need to know you are new.
As a newbie, we will almost surely have slight cuticle area lifting.
I found that using Entity has cured all and any lifting I may have had with a liquid and powder product.
Good luck in your career!
buenos dias,
Lynnette
Salon 29 at Main

LOL lynnette!!! Tiddlywink, that is a trip! ha ha... Yes Kristie, like I said my situation is probably (and hopefully) a rare one. I will have to look up Entity and find out what it is as I am now curious. Good luck and I wish you well.

KitKat,
Try this:
Entity Beauty - Professional Nail Supplies
I used to be so afraid of liquid and powder that I panicked with anyone who wanted them. I was the Gel Princess of Pennsylvania!!
Anyway, I was given a kit of Entity almost three years ago now and all but two of my clients are now in Entity.
Let me know if you go that route.
buenos dias,
Lynnette

xxx

Nail don't just fall off, but this doesn't mean we automatically blame the clients, or the product...especially if we are getting more complaints than not.

I would do there nails again, making sure i have done everything right, give aftercare leaflets and a card with your number on...tell them that IF this happens again to ring you and you will get them back to see for self whats going wrong....dont let them wait 3-4 weeks to tell you something went wrong.

If a client rings up to say their nails have just fallen off, I would ask them to pop in asap so you can take a look at the nails, if there is any product left on, the chances are they have been picked.

If your prep is spot on, your consultation and advice on length etc, they dont just fall off.

Dont doubt yourself. If you are happy, then charge for repairs. They soon stop falling off then xx

ok probably a stupid question, but would temperature of the product affect the lifting. For instance my salon owner loves to turn the heat off at night, and then have it full blast in the day time. I've noticed that since i've moved in there i've had a ton of air bubbles, and alot more lifting. should i take my acrylic stuff home with me?

I was wondering that too. My salon is closed on Sunday's and Monday's and the heat is turned completely off. Will check back for answers :)

I have my salon all cosy and warm when open but turn off all heating when i go home on a night and over the weekend
cant say i have noticed a problem,
i do have variations in heat through out the day also as i have a sunbed in the salon so some times it can get really hot but i just have to adjust my mix ratio to compensate for the heat or work a lot faster lol, hth

ok probably a stupid question, but would temperature of the product affect the lifting. For instance my salon owner loves to turn the heat off at night, and then have it full blast in the day time. I've noticed that since i've moved in there i've had a ton of air bubbles, and alot more lifting. should i take my acrylic stuff home with me?

That all depends on the system you use.
I had it rough I suppose by working in a sundbed shop, where the temp was about a million degrees (ok maybe a slight exageration:)).
It certainly taught me to work quickly but there are many systems out there that are slow setting or fast setting to cover this problem.
A poor workman often blames his tools. Sometimes this may well be the case, but have a go with other methods.
I've NEVER had lifting issues since being properly trained whatever the climate.
Not meaning to sound bad about this btw but the quality of product and training does play a major part x

Have the client come in, sit them down and swipe Scrub fresh on their nail that the enhancement "fell" off of. Then put their hand in a UV lamp. If the nail is completely smooth, meaning no gauge, scrape, teeth marks, then it really did fall off. If it looks all rough and gnarly, chances are it's been picked off.

There are some incidences where an enhancement just will not stay on a client, such as hormones, medications, extremely sweaty/oily nails, some cancer treatments, so if it's just one client and it ALWAYS happens, you may want to update their medical info.

Latest posts

Back