Help-colour correction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_eve

Senior Stylist
Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I'm looking for genuine advice and constructive critique.
I've made a right balls up of a clients hair... No pictures unfortunately as it was a stressful situation.

Scenario - new client, masses of thick wavy, one length to the middle of her back. Root regrowth 6months natural level 8, mids/ends level 12.
During consultation previous week she requested an all over colour to match the regrowth to the mids/ends, as her ends were multitonal from previous highlights I asked her if she wanted to keep the hair multitonal with a highlighted look or whether she wanted a block of blonde hair, we discussed the different options and I offered her a FHF and then to give it depth and movement, balayage on the remaining hair (I didn't explain the end result and stupidly referred to it as "painting the hair between the foils") she asked for a quote and I quoted the price including Olaplex, which she felt was too much and opted out and went away with the appointment and quote in hand. She then Facebook messaged the salon questioning the quote as it was different to the website pricing and asked for a new quote for full head foils and colour in between (my fault for not explaining the technique I would be using) and was requoted £7 less and wanted to know why, the owner of the salon explained it was due to the amount of hair she has regardless of my quoting structure using balayage technique instead of colour between foils...
Anyway, she arrived for her appointment (which I was dreading tbh) and I went through the procedure and the price and that she would still like "the painting in between" and she agreed....

Nape to crown foils - pastel with blondor balayage in between with freelights 20vol,
Sides - 30vol blondor balayage freelights 30vol
Top - back to back foils blondor 40vol
Blended the lightener through mids and avoided ends all over and left to process for about 30mins checking regularly

Shampooed and conditioned, cut one length with shaping around the face and then blow dried .....

As I was blow drying the back I could see awful banding where the lightener hadn't blended with the ends, the balayage was spotty and hadn't lifted enough it was patchy and just awful looking, blow dried the sides and top and was relieved that these areas had lifted and blended beautifully but when pulled the hair back from the face there were lines where some of the foils had bled.... Needless to say the client was not happy with the balayage effect and felt like I'd missed entire areas and didn't like the multi tonal - obviously I didn't charge her for this disaster and I'm going back tomorrow to rectify the situation... Complimentary Olaplex of course..

I can't even get my mind to work properly about how to tackle this.... Do I foil again? Go through section by section correcting the banding first? Any advice please [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Ok... Does she want foils to the root?

Show her a pic of a gorgeous Balyage which has root stretch, I think your easiest option will be root stretch a little to cover the bleeding, then pick out your spotty areas and ombré them, bringing the root stretch down to deal with areas you feel need it.

If she does want foils to the root with no "missed" bits lol, re foil probably with olaplex no 2 on previously perfect and then bleach where needed, then flood everything in between.

I think the hardest thing with Balyage clients for us as stylists is we're learning on the job! We may encounter 100 perfect texture haired clients before that one with difficult hair so we have little to no experience when varied textures are put in front of us & we carry on as we would the other 100 balyages!

Just think that it's great that now you've encounters these problems you'll know how to change up your approach in future :) don't beat yourself up tho your human, just like the rest of us :) only you now have experience with this hair, so that makes you one step ahead :)

Thank you surf girl.... This really helps, I hadn't though of using Olaplex no2 in foils.

It's the patchiness and banding that's the worst... And the bleeding foils at the front... Thankfully I didn't use any tint so it will be less of a challenge to lift the patches/missing bits.... She definitely wants to the root blonde...
Thank you for your advice and being kind as I was really worried...
Xx

She's decided not to come in today. Something to do with her husbands shifts. I've been awake all night stressing about this.... I so disappointed that I didn't have the opportunity to rectify it, but also very relieved.... I just feel terrible that there's someone walking around with my name on their hair and it's terrible.
I also can't help but think that even if it was good she still would have complained... I don't know.... [emoji17][emoji17][emoji17][emoji17]

Miss_eve I feel for you. There are always going be these type of clients. They set you up to fail and then try and eat you alive.

You know what you did wrong and how to rectify it to make sure it won't happen again. No ones perfect and by making mistakes we learn how to be better.

Miss_eve I feel for you. There are always going be these type of clients. They set you up to fail and then try and eat you alive.

You know what you did wrong and how to rectify it to make sure it won't happen again. No ones perfect and by making mistakes we learn how to be better.

Thanks sugarplumfaery.... X

Sounds messy she had u nervous before you started u prob over thought it hate wen dat happens good luck

Sounds messy she had u nervous before you started u prob over thought it hate wen dat happens good luck

Absolutly Amy25 I was so anxious on the drive to work.... Totally should have just done full head foils foils and be done with it... Lesson learned xxx

Everyday is a learning day nobody knows it all [emoji173]️

Latest posts

Back