Help! Damaged oak table

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophs999

Reaction score
Help! Finished client and as I took my towel off her table it had stuck in a couple places. All I can think is some acetone soaked thru and onto ger oak table. I've tried equipment cleaner and oil but still looks like dry acetone splashes! Advice please urgent

Oh dear. If acetone has come into contact with a varnished surface, it can remove the varnish. If that has happened there is nothing you can do about it bar getting it repaired professionally. I hope you manage to get it sorted out & that the acetone hasn't stripped the varnish off x

Not sure if it's varnished but thought about a baby wipe or something. Mite have to call a professional...?

I have oak worktops in my kitchen and spilt soak off on them. They've had to be stripped back and re-oiled :( if the wood is marked, there's no rubbing/cleaning it off. Sorry and hope your client is good about it! Btw, I still do my own nails in the kitchen lol, but I put a plastic mat down first now xx

It's happened to me before too. I now never leave home without my plastic mat! Give your insurance a call, they might cover it.

It's happened to me before too. I now never leave home without my plastic mat! Give your insurance a call, they might cover it.

What kind of mat do you use?

This happened to me before but my own brand new table 😁 I had to colour it in with a crayon so my other half didn't notice (he still hasn't as it wasn't too bad)
I bought a zebra print memory foam bath mat from b & m bargains for like £2. It has really thick rubber on the bottom, is also comfortable to lean on and matches my beauty case :) x

Oh no I'm clumsy so I have a glass top for my table, not very mobile though a bath mat is a good idea though ;) I asked my boyfriend who's a cabinet maker and he said if the marks wouldn't wipe off (it sounds like you already tried that anyway) then it would have to be sanded down and re polished or stained depending on the coating. I hope this helps. Hugs xx

What kind of mat do you use?

I bought 2 plastic backed table cloths from poundland. One for table/manicures & the other for pedicures x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for ur help. I've bought a baby changing nat from poundland! It's really big. X

Thanks for this thread, today I spilled scrub fresh on a clients table and it stripped the varnish off a patch of her table. Feel sick and can't get the image of it out of my head! She was lovely about it and I have offered to pay but I am determined this never happens again. Great ideas on here, I'm off to look at bath and baby change mats tomorrow!!

Would it not be better to get a light weight fold away table? Then it'd be great for those houses that don't have a table too? :)

Sorry OP, that doesn't answer your question - hope the client was okay about it and you get it sorted x

I got a plastic table cover of eBay and you can get them in different sizes and it's fab x

My tech teacher suggested if you have a client with no table, use their ironing board ;)

Would it not be better to get a light weight fold away table? Then it'd be great for those houses that don't have a table too? :)

Sorry OP, that doesn't answer your question - hope the client was okay about it and you get it sorted x

My tech teacher suggested if you have a client with no table, use their ironing board ;)
Same!! I've done it once when I borrowed another car and completely forgot to transfer over the table - it worked pretty well actually but I didn't feel very professional :lol:

A towel isn't enough... I got a table cloth thats plastic PVC with a cloth & hesian backed from 'The Rang'. If you've caused damaged then you'll have to pay for the damage (via your insurance)...

Latest posts

Back