Help dealing with a member of staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to childcare costs,would she not have said thats the reason she can no longer cover the extra hours in the salon?
Have you had a conversation about it and the reasons why yet?
The atmosphere must be quite sharp if it hasnt been discussed between you both.
I really hope you sort it all out.
Its hard when you miss out on the hols with the kids etc but when you open your own business it will ultimatley fall on you to keep it going.

Hope you had your tea break and deep breath x

i would also say its because of child care the salons i worked in i gave 110% and worked my butt of but could never do holiday cover
as it would cost me more than what i earned to get chidcare
but now as a salon owner with 4 children i work 55/60hrs in the salon and more at home doing paper work
i still have the kids in childcare the same days as they always were but they have to come to the salon with me the other days school holiday they also come in with me for 10hours per day im lucky they have there own room which has tv & game station
its still not right they have to spend all the time in the salon i took the salon on 18 months ago and ive had 2days of since i opened but im doing it for me and my family .
If i worked for someone else i would never do what im doing right now
when its your own salon we all have to do without

i would also say its because of child care the salons i worked in i gave 110% and worked my butt of but could never do holiday cover
as it would cost me more than what i earned to get chidcare
but now as a salon owner with 4 children i work 55/60hrs in the salon and more at home doing paper work
i still have the kids in childcare the same days as they always were but they have to come to the salon with me the other days school holiday they also come in with me for 10hours per day im lucky they have there own room which has tv & game station
its still not right they have to spend all the time in the salon i took the salon on 18 months ago and ive had 2days of since i opened but im doing it for me and my family .
If i worked for someone else i would never do what im doing right now
when its your own salon we all have to do without
I admire you for working so hard and with 4 children!
I have 3 and put in well over the hours contracted but i love my job and it gives the kids treats/holidays etc
x

I wouldn't know what a day off is! I had 2 hours shopping with my youngest the other day. That's the first time I've spent with her in months.

I have a 1 treatment room salon, there is only one of us in at any one time. The reason I chose to empty people (give my profit away) is so I don't neglect my kids, so I can pick them up from school, go to their sports day and class assemblies.

But that's not the issue. I know I have up all rights to time off and pay when I opened my salon. I love it, going to work in my salon, makin the decision sits everything I dreamed of and more!

But my original post was regarding what was deemed a breach of contract.

I am not saying I'm gonna kick her out on her heels. I just wanted to know what I could do if things weren't working out.

Her next day in was today as I had a text at 7.30 saying she was I'll and not coming in! My other member of staff is on holiday and I cannot go in today - looks like they'll be a domino effect of let downs today!

At the end of the day childcare is not my issue, and it worked well for a year!?. I treat my staff well, pay them well, all I ask back is they stick to our contract, job description and have sympathy for a small and new business. After all if it doesn't work out it'll be there job that'll be gone.

Last edited:
How about a receptionist/assistant?
I know its paying a wage out that isnt earning as such but she could take alot of pressure off with bookings not being put in when your marked as off?She could be cashing up,doing stock etc and helping you when your busy as she would be around to take calls,do laundry,general cleaning etc etc?
Although its a wage it could free up a fair bit of time for you,even if its saving you an hour at the end of your day not doing stock/cashing up,cleaning etc,thats 5 hours a week minimum you have extra with your kids?
I am more than full time even though im employed as ive worked for my boss for over 15 years and the salon was new when i started so weve built it up together.When shes away training other salons,which is alot this year,i run the salon,do stock,help with training,and deal with cashing up,stock and staff etc.You need someone like that to take the pressure off.
Your not that far from us so i should pop up and help you ;-)x

Sounds like you are stuck so deep in a problem honey that you cant see over the sides of it. Couldnt you come to some arrangement where she goes part time and then find someone else to cover the extra hours? I expect something has changed in her situation which means she cant cover all the hours as she had promised in the interview...sounds like you have a good relationship with the other therapist there, could she also be feeling alienated and therefore doesnt feel that she can approach you about it in case she looses her job??
Really hope you get it sorted.
Tinaxxx

Look on acas website or phone them! I know if my partner cannot do overtime when required he can loose his job because it state overtime is essential when need in his contract.
my partner is the same, in his contract it states he must be available to do overtime as and when needed even with as little as an hours notice or he would lose his job (unless he had a very good reason)
i would deffinately have a chat with her about it and gently remind her what it says in her contract. its really hard fitting work etc around children/childcare but if she cant commit the time needed to the job then maybe its not for her? just my personal opinion:) i would have thought that as an employee if her personal situation changed, she would have come to you straight away to discuss the fact that she is unable to work as much overtime/cover and work out a solution with you rather than just say 'no cant do it' thats the polite way isnt it? again just my opinion....x

I'd do as someone said above, ask why she is unavailable for cover and offer her part time hours if she can't help u out more so u can employ someone who can cover. That way she either has to help out or let u get someone who can. Xx

Shes resigned, wihtout even talking to me and wont work her notice.

Im relieved PHEW!

I wont say well done but congratulations on your relief!!!

Everything happens for a reason and im sure you will be able to find someone to fill in the hours and maybe even a receptionist /assistant to help you take the pressure off.

xx

Im not happy, as I really liked her. We got on well but im realieved the situation is over.

There have been alot of changes as the bussiness has got busier and taking someone on now will be easier as we know exactly what were looking for.

My chidren are staying at grandads tonight so me and the hubby are going out, he doesnt know it yet but we are :)

Hey!
You may well really like her but if shes not helping you move foward with your business shes not the therapist for you.
Have a fab nite out and enjoy a cocktail or 2!!
x

Hey!
You may well really like her but if shes not helping you move foward with your business shes not the therapist for you.
Have a fab nite out and enjoy a cocktail or 2!!
x

Yes your right :) xx

We should arrange a geek meet for us guys.Im not that far from you.x

Latest posts

Back