Help! Don't know how to reply to my eyelash client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in need of some advice...

Basically, I had an "annoying" experience with one of my eyelash extension clients. I'm a mobile therapist, and the first time I visited this client, she had me waiting for half an hour (after I had set up) while she sat and ate an egg sandwich. I went round to hers to do a half set at 8.30pm (which is a really late for me but the only time she could do apparently) and she was one of those clients who kept wriggling around and generally being quite, well, difficult. By the time I left it was 11.30pm! Ridiculous. Anyhoo, she text me a few days later saying could she get "topped up" to a full set.... So I went round and done so...

Then a couple months passed... And she asked for a half set again. So I went round, and if I'm honest I'd say I done more of a full than a half set, because I sensed she would text me asking to get topped up to a full. I charged her for a half set, they looked amazing.

That was 4 days ago and she has just sent me a blunt text sayin "hi, my eyelashes are falling out quite bad, especially in the left eye can u sort them".... She is basically asking me to go round there for free and infill after only 4 days! I'm really annoyed, I have been doing this for years and never had this situation before so I know it's not my "technique", and my client is a bad fiddler (irritates me so much)... I just don't know what to reply to her. She is booked in for a maintainance in a couple weeks time...

What do I say? I don't wanna lose a client but at the same time I'm not up for doing stuff for freed when I'm busy enough :(

I know I'm not qualified in lashes, but I just wanted to suggest that you don't text her back, I would phone her.

The way I would look at this, is, if the lashes are fine on the right eye, then it's nothing you have done wrong.

I would explain what you usually charge for having them re done and make it clear that you will be charging.

If I had to sit and wait a half an hour for a client while she ate a sandwich, I would tell her I was charging for my time and not just my service!

I'm sure the lashes don't just "fall out" without a helping hand?

Once you've given her all her after care, I would just explain to her that the lashes were perfect when you left her and if they have fallen out, it's because she didn't follow the after care advice.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply :) its days like this that make me want to give up this freelance beauty thing. I know what my problem is, I'm too soft with this sort of thing, because I don't want a "bad" reputation. Before i posted this post, i was thinking in my head i would go round and infill for free because she sees it as my fault if they are coming out. I know that sounds ridiculous because it's my business and I need to make money.

With the egg sandwich thing, I know what u mean. I just find it very hard to say things like that. We were sitting having a jokey conversation about something and it's almost like she was kinda chatting to me like a friend, and inside I was fuming that I was sitting late at night after a very long day, waiting on her to finish her bloody sandwich. So I didn't say anything. Stupid me I know. She knew I didn't have a client after her because her app was so late in the first place.

I hate when things like this happens it just makes me a bit fed up!

Thanks for your reply :) its days like this that make me want to give up this freelance beauty thing. I know what my problem is, I'm too soft with this sort of thing, because I don't want a "bad" reputation. Before i posted this post, i was thinking in my head i would go round and infill for free because she sees it as my fault if they are coming out. I know that sounds ridiculous because it's my business and I need to make money.

With the egg sandwich thing, I know what u mean. I just find it very hard to say things like that. We were sitting having a jokey conversation about something and it's almost like she was kinda chatting to me like a friend, and inside I was fuming that I was sitting late at night after a very long day, waiting on her to finish her bloody sandwich. So I didn't say anything. Stupid me I know. She knew I didn't have a client after her because her app was so late in the first place.

I hate when things like this happens it just makes me a bit fed up!

I feel so bad for you, I really do :hug:

You need to take a stand with this client, or she will do it to you all the time.

I would explain very nicely that the lashes don't just fall out and if she insists that they did I would advise that she shouldn't have them done again, as you don't have this problem with anyone else and she's obviously not suited to them.

This is why I would absolutely hate to be mobile and I take my hat off to all you mobile geeks.

I'd reply and say

"Oh dear, sounds like you've been sleeping on the one side and those lashes of your's have been rubbing on the pillow all night, the only other explanation is that you may have inadvertently rubbed them? Not to worry though, I can come round and top you back up, as usual the fee is £xx, just let me know when is suitable for you"

Ball will be in her court then.

As for the egg sarnie situ... Learn from it and move on, if you give them an inch they will take a mile.... You set the precedent for how you want to be treated! :0) HTH's xx

Thanks guys, really helpful replies. I will deal with her tomorrow morning. (cant wait, lol)...That's another thing, they are texting me at all hours, I can't escape!

I think after 3 years of mobile I'm reaching my tether. What's annoying is that some of my clients just think I just turn up, sit and do an "easy job" of lashes or whatever, then leave with money in my pocket. Happy days. They don't understand all the prep involved, cleaning of everything constantly, the travel, traffic nightmares, carrying heavy loads constantly. Not to mention long hours etc. And to be honest, I actually feel like some of them look down on me. Most of them are very wealthy. Maybe I'm just on a wee downer today...But yesterday for instance, turned up at my clients house, her cleaner let me in to set up and my client emerged 20 mins later- she was having a shower. How rude! Then just sauntered on in "oh hi sorry about that"... like she doesn't value me or take me seriously. I would never do that to someone.

Ahhhhh!! I'm sure we have all had annoying experiences and days like this! I could probably rant for hours to be honest. Don't worry I won't ahaha xx

I'd reply and say

"Oh dear, sounds like you've been sleeping on the one side and those lashes of your's have been rubbing on the pillow all night, the only other explanation is that you may have inadvertently rubbed them? Not to worry though, I can come round and top you back up, as usual the fee is £xx, just let me know when is suitable for you"

Ball will be in her court then.

As for the egg sarnie situ... Learn from it and move on, if you give them an inch they will take a mile.... You set the precedent for how you want to be treated! :0) HTH's xx

I think that's the best way to handle it. I would say this to her :)

Also chin up and massive hugs about rude shower woman! Some people are just really inconsiderate. But don't worry you'll always have us geeks :) x

Pleeeeease don't go to someone at 8.30pm for a set of eyelash extensions, it's simply too late. It's the end of an already, I'm sure, long day and a treatment that even for the very experienced will take a long time to complete. You're the boss hun, act like it or this lady will take the wotsit over and over.

hug

Last edited:
I know it's hard but you really need to be firm with clients like this.
Once you've let them get away with it once then they'll keep trying it on.
As soon as you are ready and all set up you just need to say 'Ok so if I can just get you to lie on the couch and we can make a start'.
If she asks if she can finish her sandwich (who takes 30mins to eat an egg sandwich!?) say 'Well you can if you want to but it will eat into your treatment time'.
Just be firm and once you've done it a couple of times with clients then you will find it easy to do.

I know it's hard but you really need to be firm with clients like this.
Once you've let them get away with it once then they'll keep trying it on.
As soon as you are ready and all set up you just need to say 'Ok so if I can just get you to lie on the couch and we can make a start'.
If she asks if she can finish her sandwich (who takes 30mins to eat an egg sandwich!?) say 'Well you can if you want to but it will eat into your treatment time'.

Just be firm and once you've done it a couple of times with clients then you will find it easy to do.

Ditto - clients think you have nothing better to do than sit around and wait for them. Let them know that their treatment time is now shorter because of their faffing about. They're not your only client - even if it is the last of the day, they have no right to keep you from your family and expect you'll do whatever they want.

I can't understand these clients! They would never dream of walking into a salon, sitting down with their packed lunch and getting you to put the kettle on for their cuppa soup! Why do they think mobile therapists time is any less valuable? So rude.

Omg

She has just replied. She said "my right eye is ok and I usually sleep on my right side...how about u come and look at them? There's a big chunk. Issuing from my left eye. Can you do tonight or tomorrow? Also think paying for a full maintainable is a bit high as iv not even had them in for a week"

What the hell!!

*maintainance

God that woman is winding me up just reading about her!!! :evil:

i would say you have appointments all week and can pop round WHEN YOU GET TIME and next time she rings i would say sorry i cant fit you in i'll call you when i have a space... and dont! I know you dont want to loose clients but surely you can afford to lose a client like that!

That's what I would love to do, but she knows a couple of my other clients, and I wouldn't want her to bad mouth me... Know what i mean?i was considering saying that i would do a "mini infill" for half the price of a full maintainance? What does everyone think?

i dont do eyelashes however i had a simular problem with one client and nails. trunned out she was lying trying to get somthing for nothing but thats a long story. i spent 3 days with this woman trying to fix the problem its not worth it. i was given the best advice my friend who also does nails, if there is a problem with just remove them and give them there money bk ad say sorry its not for u. i know u've spent time and effert with them however it seems to me shes trying to get somthing for nothing and u dnt need clients like that. she told me its best to remove them so that way for one if they say no i wont to keep them you can simply say well i cnt let u have what treatment i have done for free also i dnt wont my work to be shown in a bad way. good luck with what ever u do xx

That's what I would love to do, but she knows a couple of my other clients, and I wouldn't want her to bad mouth me... Know what i mean?i was considering saying that i would do a "mini infill" for half the price of a full maintainance? What does everyone think?

You could but tell her this is STRICTLY a one off and if it happens again you will have to remove them as they clearly won't be suited to her. Good luck! x

Oh and tell her you will charge her for removal....x

With admitting to you the right side is fine shows its not your technique.

To offer treatments half price or free may give her an impression it can be done time and time again, this she could tell her friends.

I have found in past experiences when a client has tried to take the mick as soon as i had the confidence to put my foot down and say no it all stopped. Be firm and stay professional.

Ok guys, I have told her that I'm really busy and only have availability next week, one evening - which is true anyway. And I have said that as a one off I can do a mini infill, and also that if it happens again they will need removed. I'm completely crapping myself awaiting her reply, I need to get a grip! I think its just because iv never had to deal with this situation before. Most of my clients are really easy to deal with. Personally, if it was me and I fiddled with my lashes and realised I'd made a wee gap, I'd never dream of complaining and asking the therapist to "come and sort it out" or even to come and look at them, she lives half an hour away and I don't even have other clients near her. They way she demanded I come tonight or tomorrow, she actually thinks she is my only client. Hmmm

Rage! Lol

Latest posts

Back