help eyebrow wax grazed/red!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggie

Reaction score
In our salon i do most of the beauty treatments we have a family business, my mum is a fantastic holistic therapist and has many many clients for Reflexology, massage etc but she also decided to go and do beauty NVQ 2 aswell a couple of years ago and although she is still quite nervous has been doing really quite well with waxing,facials etc untill a couple of days ago.
She did an eyebrow wax on a lady. looked good when she left, client was happy then she came back the next day and was really horrible and it has knocked my mums confidence so much and was really upset. Unfortunately i wasn't there at the time but the lady's eyebrow on one side was sort of grazed and very red, she said she would never return again and was really quite foul, we've now gone through all the possibilities i.e too hot, maybe didn't pull skin tight enough, too thick etc etc but just wondered if any of you guys had any thoughts or advice on how this could of happened or what to do now my mum is so upset.
:cry::cry::cry:

Awww hun, hungs to your mum:hug:.

I am sure this has happened to many of us beauty therapists in the beginning. Its an awful feeling but it all helps to give us experince and make us better therapists in the future....I bet this will never happend to your mum again!:green:

All the suggestions you have made sound about right really and to be honest it would be rather difficult to find out which it was...Especially now this client will not return. Did your mum do a consultation-did the client have diabetes?

All the best xxxx

If it's any consolation.............my friend who is in her 60's had an upper lip wax by the same therapist that she's been going to for many years and this happened. No reason why it should have done.

I always use oil on sensitive areas. Put a tiny drop of baby oil on the palm of your hands and rub together so there's only a fine film left. Then gently press the oil onto the area that you're treating. This way, the wax won't stick to the skin. Try it on yourself so you get what I mean.

Its happened to me before on a clients lip still unsure why?

I have done this to myself before. And I actually think it was because the wax was not hot enough. Just a theory.

I also favour using oil, like Brow Queen, but tend to use it with hot wax rather than warm wax. Hot wax is soooo gentle for eyebrows.

A situation like this is very unfortunate, but your mum needs to get straight back on the saddle!!

Clients are not always foul when things go wrong. Sometimes people complain nicely and politely which would have been less of a knock to your mum's confidence. It's a shame :hug:

Hi,I feel so sorry for your mum,we are only human for goodness sake.:eek:

Was the client on Roaccutane?this is an acne treatment and can cause thinning of the skin so waxing is a definate no,no.I myself had a client who had been coming to me for years,then she started Roaccutane without mentioning it and exactly the same thing happened.We now always tweezer.

I'm sure you have double checked that your mum didn't go over the area more than once etc....Anyway,tell her not to worry,it's happened to all of us at one time or another.:hug:HTH

Hi i wrote on another thraed about this. Some girls that have worked for me have had the same thing happen. I havent got a clue why! An eyebrow wax is so simple. We went through everything. The only thing I can think of is if the skin is not held taught enough. It may cause the skin to be pulled too much. I really dont know. Maybe they put the wrong product on after, such as somthing that might make it sting (Ive had a girl confuse surgical spirit with witch hazel befor!) Or it could be that they go over the same area more than once. You shouldnt re-wax the eyebrow as it is very thin skin. I apply wax once, pull off strip and thats it. And apply witch hazel asap. When Ive had eybrow waxes done to me before they have applied more wax after the first strip was pulled of and kept pressing and pulling, pressing and pulling and I had a sligh abrasion on my eyebrow, right on the bone, as this is the most sensitive part.
Tell your mum not to worry, it goes after afew days

This happened to me on a client who had been to me many times before. She was pregnant and was having a real bad time with morning sickness. She had lost loads of weight and I put it down to her not having enough tissue covering her brow bone. She has been back to me for brow waxing since having her baby and putting on a bit of weight - all was well, and I'm still a bit baffled as to why it happened :confused:
Tell your mum not to take it too badly (easier said than done !) but sometimes life throws you a puzzler !!!!

Hi Hugs to your Mum :hug:

I have been having my brows waxed every month for years and this has happened to me only once.
Just below the brow bone I noticed a really small type graze (almost like a nick when you shave) never had it before but it was a bit painfull the next day, but it didnt put me off at all.
I have not had it happen to me since and the lady who does it the salon owner has done it for many years. I didnt say anything as it never happened again maybe it was were my skin was thinner than normal not sure...
Hope your mum gets her confidence back soon as it was probably a one off :hug:

Julie x

This happened to me in training, never happened again. It does knock your confidence but you have to carry on. It's like falling off a bike if you don't get back on again you never will.

My advice is to test the wax on your wrist, before putting it on a client.

Never wax the area more than twice (maximum, I only do it once on the brow area as the skin is so delicate and hence the reason it bruises easily)

Apply after wax after the wax to cool the area down.

Wax only the upper part of the eyelid, do not venture onto the lower part.

Hope this helps xx

try applying a little oil to the brow after cleansing the skin then blotting excess oil away (so only a light film is on the skin). This stops the wax pulling on the skin and taking to many skin cells away.
This reaction can also happen if client is taking medication that thins the skin, so always remember to ask clients first, or if the clients skin is very dry- so in this case the oil method will help. and remember to always change the strip never allow wax to build up on facial waxing.
Tell your mum not to worry to much, It s happened to us all in some way
Hope it helps katexx :)

Your poor poor mum:hug:. The exact same thing happened on my daughters eyebrow the very first time I did hers! It has not ever happened again.

All I can suggest is that she has sensitive skin. Go back and check on her consultation sheet for anything that might indicate this.

Some client's tend not to listen when told not to put perfumed products onto their skin after. Did your mum give her a "what not to do after waxing" talk. Maybe she went under a sun-lamp or used a facial scrub?

I think the thing is, is to chalk it up to experience, maybe go through the routine, etc, and then move on.

:hug:

If it's any consolation.............my friend who is in her 60's had an upper lip wax by the same therapist that she's been going to for many years and this happened. No reason why it should have done.

I always use oil on sensitive areas. Put a tiny drop of baby oil on the palm of your hands and rub together so there's only a fine film left. Then gently press the oil onto the area that you're treating. This way, the wax won't stick to the skin. Try it on yourself so you get what I mean.

I agree with this statement 100%. It sounds to me like the skin was removed during the waxing process. Several things can cause this... incorrect technique, client having thin crapey skin, client being on certain meds or skin care products. Oil is the key, it will help protect the skin with all the problems I mentioned.

Latest posts

Back