Help for any salon owners who rent rooms out..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
Me again ....long post...

Im not sure if its me or my hormones but i got this girl i think is ok but is getting annoying but not sure if im being unreasonable...

her room is white with wood.. it has a white folding door...

yesterday she asked if she could have a normal door that just opens and wall painted again.. and to do more soundproofing in as she had probs at last place..
my hubby said all was fine and he could do that but to soundproof more would be too much work but would put a solid door to help.. and asked if we could put florescent lights and we did..

anyway.... today she said she needs dimmers instead so that was £65 down the drain and we cant return it and if she could have some shelves taken out as room is small and takes up room.. i was abit peeved tbh but my partner said it was fine..
he is keen to rent room out we was going to use if for tanning but have created another small space that we could tan one person at a time.

anyway.... just now she she said if we can take shelves down and put up some in other places..and if we could extend the ceiling... i said we cant extend ceiling :irked: ..

also when we decided to use for tanning i took sink out etc when she called i told her we was no longer using it for that but she said she would use the sink right outside and we made the rent 15.00 a day to compensate....
and that was agreed..

but is now saying its too far and can she have it but same rent.. which is not really fair on me... and i know she should have sink there but i wasnt going to rent it and she said she would take it like that.... and we had to change are plans etc.. and if we put sink we will obviously change to what we advertised for previously but she said that we agreed the rent price already.....
also has asked for us to contribute to adverts which i said no...
tbh i really dont wont to rent and would prefer to keep the room but huuby said it would give us more security as we are just starting..
but i think we will have clashes long term :rolleyes:

but im really abit peeved off with her non-stop calling every hour literally...i turned my phoned off earlier for a breather...

hey, havent been on for ages, but now got bit more free time. firstly 15.00 a day is really good rent. i rent out a room and charge 35.00 a day. she accepted when she saw it so has no right to ask for silly demands, (ceiling??) just have a chat with her, say that you are happy to do small things to help her with her room but she has to be reasonable, otherwise all the money your getting off her and more besides is going to be taken up renovations. there will be plenty of people ou there who would rent it for that price so if she can find something better and cheaper, good luck to her. xxx

well we already put lights she no longer wonts anymore:mad:

I'd say West London at £15 a day is an utter bargain. She is lucky you have accommodated her and her demands to date but I think you need to draw a line under it and let her know that you are not happy with the way she is acting and making demands.

At £15 a day you won't be short of takers in West London! Good luck!

I'd say West London at £15 a day is an utter bargain. She is lucky you have accommodated her and her demands to date but I think you need to draw a line under it and let her know that you are not happy with the way she is acting and making demands.

At £15 a day you won't be short of takers in West London! Good luck!

Totally agree with this, I was paying this for a table in an open space, in Northampton 4 years ago. She's lucky to have found you and should be made to see that. You are being to kind, and no I wouldn't change the lighting again, if she wants more ambiance then she can pay out for lamps.

i know i have to let her know but im really not someone use to saying no. which i better get used to as the owner..

i know i will not be geting shelves for her but will say we can put it up for but not buy it... i dont think thats mean

i dont think we should do anything else.. my hubby has bought dimmers now he just came home... but i reallly dont think he should have..

but that has to be it now...but just dont wont to seem horrible

I have to agree here. I pay 35 pound a day for my room and i thought that was cheap! I wouldn't dream of asking to extend the ceiling etc.

Have you got a contract written up? If so just state that its on her contract how she took the room and if she is going to continue with these demands then you have to increase her rent to accomodate for them. Sounds like she is going to be a bit of a messer to be honest and i would cover my back of i were you, just in case.

If you havent got a contract written up then ask her to sit down with you and write one out so you both know where you stand with each other and to save any confusement or disagreements. xx

I have to agree here. I pay 35 pound a day for my room and i thought that was cheap! I wouldn't dream of asking to extend the ceiling etc.

Have you got a contract written up? If so just state that its on her contract how she took the room and if she is going to continue with these demands then you have to increase her rent to accomodate for them. Sounds like she is going to be a bit of a messer to be honest and i would cover my back of i were you, just in case.

If you havent got a contract written up then ask her to sit down with you and write one out so you both know where you stand with each other and to save any confusement or disagreements. xx

i have a feeling she will be abit of a problem.. and dont wont to be looking after her like she as an another employee.. i wont her to be able to look after and advertise for herself..

but has already asked about adverts etc and i said to get a5 paper and print her own as i was not even going to do that..:irked:

she is young and i dont think she is ready for her own room.. but im young also and dont wont to ruin her chances.... but will consider wording of my contract as i dont wont any problems as i can see that it may happen....

Sorry mate but I think she is taking the mick. For rent that cheap I wouldn't be complaining about anything. I can understand the door thing but the rest is taking the mick.
I would have a firm word with her and nip this in the bud right now before it gets completely crazy.
You must be really tired what with being pregnant and don't you have another little one? and a shop to run that has just opened. When you get home i'm sure you just want to put your feet up and not even think about the shop. Tell her hun. It's really not fair xxx
P.s I would probably get some terms written up explaining what responsibilities you have such as repairs and her responsibilities such as HER OWN advertising. Honestly...how are people so cheeky!! xxx

Sorry mate but I think she is taking the mick. For rent that cheap I wouldn't be complaining about anything. I can understand the door thing but the rest is taking the mick.
I would have a firm word with her and nip this in the bud right now before it gets completely crazy.
You must be really tired what with being pregnant and don't you have another little one? and a shop to run that has just opened. When you get home i'm sure you just want to put your feet up and not even think about the shop. Tell her hun. It's really not fair xxx
P.s I would probably get some terms written up explaining what responsibilities you have such as repairs and her responsibilities such as HER OWN advertising. Honestly...how are people so cheeky!! xxx

yes i am soo tired which is making me abit less patient and a lot more irritated...
if its wasnt for my hubby i wouldnt be able to do what she is asking anyway and would have said no when she first came..

we have gone back and forth today about renting it to her and not renting tbh.. and if its gets to difficult we can give her notice i suppose..

but i wont be doing anyting else for her the shop opens on sat and we just dont have the time tbh to do much else.. i think its just not knowing how to say no without being harsh...

yes i am soo tired which is making me abit less patient and a lot more irritated...
if its wasnt for my hubby i wouldnt be able to do what she is asking anyway and would have said no when she first came..

we have gone back and forth today about renting it to her and not renting tbh.. and if its gets to difficult we can give her notice i suppose..

but i wont be doing anyting else for her the shop opens on sat and we just dont have the time tbh to do much else.. i think its just not knowing how to say no without being harsh...

I know what you mean about the harsh bit. I am rubbish at things like that. I can be nice or I can be horrible, no in between. It becomes annoying as I have to avoid things like that,to not be nasty.Especially when I am peed off but not wanting to show it. So I know how you feel.
Maybe you could sit down with her and ask her what it actually is that she expects from you. Then you can put her straight without sounding harsh.
Try not to let it stress you :hug:
xxx

Harsh:eek: Hun you are in effect her landlord not her mother!
Tell hubby to take the lights back, I'm sure he's got a receipt.
Alright, so she's young, well better for her to learn to live in the real working world with a couple who will sympathise but be firm then for her to keep walking all over people and then end up on here moaning about how life isn't fair:rolleyes:

true.. i know it would be different if she was renting from someone else .. i guess im a soft touch :smack:....

thanks i wasnt sure if i was being unreasonable as being my first time renting to someone.. so thanks for your info as people who have rented etc..

Tell her you have had to outlay a lot of money on kitting out your salon, and there is no more available to spend on her room, so she either takes it as it is ( as she previously agreed ie the basin outside, the fluorescent lights etc ) for the agreed rent, or finds somewhere else.

Also whatever you do, make provision in your contract for an annual rent increase. You obviously don't HAVE to increase the rent, but if she ends up becoming a total pain inthe a**e you can put her rent up to compensate for the aggravation. Or perhaps to encourage her to leave . . .

As others have said, £15 per day is dirt cheap. I was paying £75 per week nearly 20 years ago in south london to rent a beauty room.

I don't think you're being unreasonable, she is.

SHE AGREED to use the sink outside the room in exchange for a rent reduction (rent is way too low anyway, in my opinion). Now she wants you, at your expense, to put a sink in again but keep the rent the same. That, again in my opinion, is unreasonable on her part. I've never had a sink in any room I've worked in, whether I was employed or self-employed. It's never really been an issue.

SHE REQUESTED that you put in fluorescent lights. Now she's changed her mind and wants you, at your expense, to put in dimmers. Again, I think that's very unreasonable on her part. Tell her to go buy some table lamps. Take the dimmers back and get a refund.

I can understand that you want to accommodate her, up to a point, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I agree with what Susie H says, she needs to learn that this is how life is, and she can't always get her own way or exactly what she wants at no expense to herself. Good advice from tog about the contract too.

I hope you can come to an agreement with her, because she sounds like she could be a nightmare unless you get some ground rules laid down very firmly now.

No sink???????????
If she is doing beauty then it really is best to have a sink in the room. When i took my salon on the 2 beauty rooms had no sinks in and i was appalled! Got some put in straight away.
Anyway i rent another of my rooms out and they completely decorated it themselves. They paid for all the furnishings and everything.
I think she is very demanding and if she is like this before she has even moved in, can you imagine what she will be like after?
Nip it in the bud now :hug:

No sink???????????
If she is doing beauty then it really is best to have a sink in the room. When i took my salon on the 2 beauty rooms had no sinks in and i was appalled! Got some put in straight away.
Yes, but that is not the issue is it?
The point is that the girl agreed on a low rent BECAUSE the sink is outside the room, and is now back-pedalling and wanting it put back in the room at no cost to herself or increased rent.

when i rented my rooms I had no sink, it was outside the room as yours is but it was no problem......
She really is taking the micheal... Get a sign up saying beauty room for rent until she pays a) a deposit and b) signs a contract dont let her get to you.
You have the power to say yea or nay it is YOUR salon. I had to pay a £1200 deposit just for my rooms and paid £95 a week £15 a day is way way too cheap you have over heads, electric, gas, water business rates all this has to be taken into account.

You need to make your point and tell her as it is. Dont let her spoil your open day
take care sweet, i understand its a difficult and worrying time but you will make a sucess of it all

putting a sink isnt really a problem.. we had decided not rent it and she really wanted it and agreed as it was lower rent etc..

i do feel like now she is changing everything we agreed... anyway yes i will have to get used to being the 'owner' and say no.. :smack:

im seeing her on friday so have enough time to get my contract water tight.. i agree that it the best thing.. also if she is a problem i dont want a 'atmosphere' in the salon.... so i have said that i can terminate the contract with good reasonable cause before the one months notice..

Ikeep saying to you, TOUGHEN UP!!! Your staff will never be your friends, get over it!
Our staff/ renters need us far far more than we need them. there are plenty of stylists and therapists desperate for work out there. Don't be afraid to say NO. Your need to protect your business should come way ahead of your need to be liked.

Latest posts

Back