Help for someone that hasn’t coloured in years. Thank you!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effey

Reaction score
Hi there all,

Sorry if I’m not posting in the right area. I qualified a long time ago. I’ve worked in salons as a stylist but not as a colour tech beyond my level 3. Since I have had children, I’ve not kept up to date with colour. I’ve constantly cut hair in my spare time, family and friends etc. I would say I have basic colour theory, but I’m not confident with making my own concoctions so much now plus I only ever used wella. Anyway, I’m babbling sorry!

Basically my natural depth is a 5, leaning towards a 6 currently because of the sun, it hasn’t been coloured in two years. I’d really love a change and saw this picture. I was wondering if anyone could guide me towards achieving it with wella colours at home. I can’t afford to go to a salon but I feel confident in my application just not shade matching. Thank you so much for listening to a babbling Mum in much need of a change.

Attachments

• 1CB3685C-DAE9-40E9-A1E0-096CD4E200F5.jpeg
    1CB3685C-DAE9-40E9-A1E0-096CD4E200F5.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 35
What colours do you think you would use?

What colours do you think you would use?

Perhaps KP 66/44 as I used to go for really quite bright reds which I would no longer suit but then the 66/ makes me think it would be too vibrant. My hair is quite porous, I’m worried a 5/ would make it too dark. But then worried it would really grab too red without mixing something in with a more brown tone.

I won’t be offended if you suggest going to a salon, I’d forever recommend people have their colour done professionally but it’s just not easy for me to do at the moment, so I thought I may as well ask.

You are a professional, just out of practice.

You are right 66/44 would be too vibrant for this, and if you look closely the roots and ends are not the same colour.

I would mix 6/74 with a dash of /45 for the roots with 6%, and blend it into a 7/43 with 9% on the ends.

That's assuming all previous colour has grown out. If not you will have to lighten the ends.

If it goes wrong you can go to a salon, but you're the best person to practice on, you can't sue yourself [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You are a professional, just out of practice.

You are right 66/44 would be too vibrant for this, and if you look closely the roots and ends are not the same colour.

I would mix 6/74 with a dash of /45 for the roots with 6%, and blend it into a 7/43 with 9% on the ends.

That's assuming all previous colour has grown out. If not you will have to lighten the ends.

If it goes wrong you can go to a salon, but you're the best person to practice on, you can't sue yourself [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:) All previous colour has grown out, just a little sun kissed. Thank you so much for your help and yep if I mess up a little it’s only on myself. I’d never make a guess on an actual client or friend! Eek!

But I do understand now you’ve explained looking at the colours. It makes a lot of sense. So thank you very much for your help. I see the tonal difference on the ends clearer now too.

I shall definitely try to see if I can refresh my knowledge on colour, just for my own benefit really. I’m sure if you’re doing it regularly your brain is like a computer for shade selection

Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back