help from all mobile and freelance hairdressers!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeliner89

Reaction score
hey this is me 1st ever post yay!!!

ok heres the deal. i am a fully qualified stylist and want to set up mobile. at the moment i work full time and am going to try and start building my client base up 1st by working in evenings then going part time at work and then finally leaving and setting up properly once my client base is good enough. i know its very demanding going alone but it something i have seriously thought about for a long time and something i really want to do, i would love some advice from people that are already set up as freelancers. aspecialy adivce on the legal requirements of it as its all a bit hassy to me.:rolleyes:

thank to anyone that helps!

xxx

oh and aswel just wanted to ask people when shampooing clients hair do you use their shower or do you prefer to take a portable basin with you?

xxx

Hi -This sounds exactly like me! and what I want to do. I would also be very interested in any information or advice on this subject, especially about what is the best insurance to purchase, I have heard that not all companies will insure you if you use colour start as a skin test? Is that true, is there anything that should be avoided at all costs?
I work on a Saturday in a salon but want to go mobile asap - what can I do to get myself established as I am finding it hard to get evening clients
Thanks to all x

PS The Freelance hair and Beauty federation are very helpful for mobies they are Luton based but have members all over the country.

-: FHBF :- For Professionals On The Move    

01582 431783

hey this is me 1st ever post yay!!!

ok heres the deal. i am a fully qualified stylist and want to set up mobile. at the moment i work full time and am going to try and start building my client base up 1st by working in evenings then going part time at work and then finally leaving and setting up properly once my client base is good enough. i know its very demanding going alone but it something i have seriously thought about for a long time and something i really want to do, i would love some advice from people that are already set up as freelancers. aspecialy adivce on the legal requirements of it as its all a bit hassy to me.:rolleyes:

thank to anyone that helps!

xxx

oh and aswel just wanted to ask people when shampooing clients hair do you use their shower or do you prefer to take a portable basin with you?

xxx

Hi bab,
I used to be a mobile about ten years ago, you need insurance which isn't really that expensive ( or it wasn't 10 yrs ago lol ), which involves liabillity insurance, covers you for anything going wrong with clients hair skin etc... you need to ask the insurance about clients homes maybe colour on the carpet etc.
A lot of warehouses wont let you join if your mobile, Aston and Fincher don't but I know capital and Sally's do, but you'll need your insurance documents to join.
I used to take with me a very large thick plastic sheet which I would put down to cover the floor also a placcy sheet to cover furniture and a vacuum to clear all the hair up after ! I liked to think people appeciated me keeping everything tidy!
I also had one of those portable basin thing that you fitted over the kitchen sink and two shower attatchments to fit different taps.
Think hard about doing it though as it can be a lonely life, I hated it, and was stuck doing it for a year, I was making ok money but you go to some weird people, even if you think you had know them in a salon enviroment before, and try not to let people take advantage of you, I used to get to someones house and there'd be about 5 people sitting there all wanting their hair done even if only one person had booked for just themselves.
I own a salon now which is great but lots of hard work.
hth

go to the fhbf- they have an insurance now especially 4 freelancers which includes sick pay ! Also advertise , expensive but worth it i tried shop windows but no luck so i went to yellow pages but now i go to thompson as they cover more of a central area 4 me expect to pay about £100 for a year .

thanx thats helped. think its going to be best for me to get a portable basin to take with me. its just the tax stuff and all that side of things i worried about. but i definatly going to advise my boyfriends a web designer so he designing me a logo and website and going to send some flyers out aswel

I have been mobile for 19 years and it has suited me, it has fir in around my 2 kids, its great that I choose my hours and If I am not working I can do whatever I like, I dont have to be stuck in an empty salon.

I am a member of the FHBF and do my insurance through them.

True you do get some dodgy clients, but very few and far between, most of my clients have been with me from the beginning and they recommend me to friends family etc... so I am lucky I dont have to advertise and havent done so for years, but when I started out I advertised a lot in my local express every week and did loads of leaflet drops. It takes time,but I was still living at home ao it wasn't that difficult for me because my parents helped me out, I have always had the support from all my family:)

So good luck if you do go ahead with your venture:hug:

One thing is true though it can be very lonely at times, and if you dont work you dont get paid!!!

Ruth x

thnx guys!!!
xxx

Thanks from me as well!
Where do you buy the plastice sheets for the floor? They sound like a good idea. And does anyone know the answer to my previous question re: skin tests?
x Becca

Latest posts

Back