Help: gel polish brands!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie_h88

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm just in the process of starting up mobile and still undecided on a brand of regular or gel polish. I think Iv narrowed it down to OPI, IBD and Orly. Could you please give me your opinions on these, what has worked best for you etc? Tia xx

Most popular colours would be handy too please if anyone has the time [emoji5]️

IBD all the way!! In my experience, OPI are a nightmare as u have to keep shaking the bottle with most of their colours. It's like the colour seperates from the liquid (think oil and water). Orly are quite watery and need lots of layers to build up the colour and the bottles leak!! I've had no problems with IBD. They're affordable, quick and easy to apply and I can usually get 3 weeks wear out of it and even then they only need re-doing due to nail growth!

Hope that helps X

OPIs new collections are way better than the old ones. I only use OPI works the best for myself and clients. Soak offs are quick too. They last at least 2 weeks I have a lot of nurses who are constantly in water so they are thrilled with two weeks of wear. Some get longer.

You'll get different answers from everyone. I've used the other brands you mention they are good but I prefer OPI.

Yea it's all personal preference really. You also have to look at your market, if you use a more expensive brand like OPI or shellac is your clientele the right one to bring in a good revenue to cover your costs? X

Ibd just gel lots of beautiful colours I use this in my salon my clients love it and it stays on really well just make sure you follow the prep

I've always really liked OPI but I don't have a massive budget for start up costs etc so that's why I was looking at something more affordable as a possibility too!
Sarahrose what is the prep for IBD? I did a gel polish course which wasn't brand specific and I know obviously the application can be different from brand to brand so was just wondering if IBD differs?! X

Ibd is amazing affordable wide range of colours I love it! Defiantly wouldn't go to another gel brand most gels start at £9.50 you can get some cheaper on eBay but be careful to buy authentic ibd gel

And same really file cuticle then white block then make sure the cuticle is completely off using the white block will ensure this then use prep wipe then use ibd bonder apply to whole nail including the tip let the nail dry fully before applying base coat xx

Thanks Sarah! I think I'll definitely go for the Ibd! Do you use their regular polish too? X

Hey yeah I would deffiantly recommend the IBD just gel iv used CND shellac, orly, gelux these brands are good but I LOVE ibd!

And no I use OPI Polish and Essie
I would see how your clients are if they want a nail polish to match the gel you may find that clients who use gel will no be to fussed about matching there gel to the polish but read your clients and you'll know then z

Hi all. I'm just in the process of starting up mobile and still undecided on a brand of regular or gel polish. I think Iv narrowed it down to OPI, IBD and Orly. Could you please give me your opinions on these, what has worked best for you etc? Tia xx

I've been doing nails for six years now and I've only ever used IBD. Don't get me wrong, there are a few shades that are disappointing and the black doesnt cure well at all but other than that the colours are gorgeous, the longevity of the gel polish is brilliant, they hardly ever ever chip and most of my clients are quite heavy handed, with hands on jobs. I have tried a few different brands in the past and I just never got on with them like, Kirsty Meakins Colour Lock, that was a massive waste of money for me, it was dreadful quality. I've also tried CND Shellac, as it is brilliant quality and it is quite hard wearing, they lacked in a choice of colours and the colours they had personally didnt appeal to me.
I hope this helps :)

I've always used Shellac but recently I added ink London and The Gel Bottle to my collection and I absolutely adore them, the gel bottle is by far my fav gel polish now, even if you just get their top coat it is so worth it you deffo won't regret it. ;)

Latest posts

Back