Help! Gelish top coat all clogged up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloughers

Reaction score
I've got a new bottle of Gelish top coat and have only used it about 4 times. I went to use it this morning and the whole brush is clogged up and I can't clean it. I've tried using alcohol but to no avail and the plastic bristles are all hard. Can anyone tell me how to clean it or if they've had this problem? Thanks. :mad:

Hi, has it been left in the sun at all or maybe had it too near you lamp when using it? sounds like it may have cured x x x

Hi, funnily enough the exact same thing happened to me on tuesday. I keep my bottles in a drawer, never in sunlight or close to the uv lamp, I emailed nail harmony to basically say help and they replied straight away and are sending me some replacements brushes free of charge, however they did say keep bottles away from sunlight and away from uv lamp. I have always done this but it still went funny on me. Can't fault nail harmony for their customer service mind. I can't understand why the brush went hard but email them they were very helpful and they will probably send you some replacement brushes too.

Thanks all! I don't know how it happened, they are all in a drawer so no sun and are not near the lamp. The only thing I can think is that my work lamp is overhead but unless its curing it on the brush as I paint, can't think that would do it. I have soaked it in acetone in a container and it's ok now. :lol:

Same thing happens to me, with 3 bottles of gelac! Its a pain in the rear!! I think it has something to do with sunlight and bottles not being closed tightly! Wow that is great CS from nail harmony xx

Gelac will replace their product as well. My gelac gummed up.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

This has happened with my Artistic Colour Gloss brush... Shame Louella Belle don't have the same custome service, as I rang explained my predicament and asked if they had any replacement brushes and they said no!! Surely that can't be right?

This has happened with my Artistic Colour Gloss brush... Shame Louella Belle don't have the same custome service, as I rang explained my predicament and asked if they had any replacement brushes and they said no!! Surely that can't be right?
I found their customer service a bit frosty the one time I had to return something (as if it was my fault somehow they'd send it to the wrong address and it had been left on the doorstep on the street and was all smashed up when it got to me).

Your joking!! I threw them all away... Haha never mind at least I now know! Will shellac do it? Xx

Hi, im using gelish and shellac since almost 2 years now. I had the exact same problems with gelish top coat brush... I clouldnt finish my clients second hand, and had to used another brush. I used the tin foil/ aceton method to get rid of the bits on my brush, then gently removed it using orange woodstick. It worked for the next 2 client, then happened again..I got really upset, til i found out what happened. Im working from home, my salon is in a conservatry, my table was next to a big window, even the rooftop is glass. The thing is girls, the sun DOES damages the brush! I moved my table to the only corner surrounded by walls, no window, all day long in the (kinda) shade, but definetely NO SUN...Since then, i did gelish for 6 client, and ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with the brush!! Ps. with shellac you will never have the problem, since thats a polish (hibrid polish) not like gelish wich is a coloured gel (nothing to do with polish!) Shellac is more like heat sensitive, it goes thick, creamy with time, especially in the summer. Hope i could help, and sorry for my english (im hungarian) :)

Hi, im using gelish and shellac since almost 2 years now. I had the exact same problems with gelish top coat brush... I clouldnt finish my clients second hand, and had to used another brush. I used the tin foil/ aceton method to get rid of the bits on my brush, then gently removed it using orange woodstick. It worked for the next 2 client, then happened again..I got really upset, til i found out what happened. Im working from home, my salon is in a conservatry, my table was next to a big window, even the rooftop is glass. The thing is girls, the sun DOES damages the brush! I moved my table to the only corner surrounded by walls, no window, all day long in the (kinda) shade, but definetely NO SUN...Since then, i did gelish for 6 client, and ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with the brush!! Ps. with shellac you will never have the problem, since thats a polish (hibrid polish) not like gelish wich is a coloured gel (nothing to do with polish!) Shellac is more like heat sensitive, it goes thick, creamy with time, especially in the summer. Hope i could help, and sorry for my english (im hungarian) :)

Thanks very much! Sounds like exactly the same problem! It's hard to know what to do as blinds are really expensive but I might have to look at covering some of the windows where the sun really comes in.

Thanks very much! Sounds like exactly the same problem! It's hard to know what to do as blinds are really expensive but I might have to look at covering some of the windows where the sun really comes in.

I just looked up for you the blinds in Argos, and they have pvc ones in several colours from €8 or blackout roller blinds for €10. I think they would be perfect to avoid the sun or even the bright light, not expensive, look good and..the main thing you save your brush!!! :lol:

I just looked up for you the blinds in Argos, and they have pvc ones in several colours from €8 or blackout roller blinds for €10. I think they would be perfect to avoid the sun or even the bright light, not expensive, look good and..the main thing you save your brush!!! :lol:

Thanks a lot! The only problem is that my conservatory is on a slant so the top of the windows slope down and normal blinds won't fit. I'm wondering if I could buy some sort of floor standing screen to put up when I'm doing nails, the only problem is the roof is glass too but to be honest when the problem happened the other day the sun was shining in from one side so I think the screen might help.

I wanted to bring this thread back from the depths of the forum.

I'm now having this problem, my top coat is curing on the brush as I'm working on my clients hands.

My desk is pretty near a huge, huge window but I do have a wicker room divider between the desk and the window to help protect against the sun. I keep all my polishes in a drawer in the desk to help not be in direct sunlight.

All has been going well until we have suddenly had this heatwave and now I've been through 3 brushes and although I've managed to revive a brush with the help of acetone, I'm worried about doing more clients.

I have blackout blinds ordered which should hopefully be here on Friday and put up on Saturday but I'm not sure what else I can do. There is no where else in my salon to place the nail desk, unless I start doing nails in my nice cool loo lol

Also I've read through threads about putting the bottle too near the lamp. How near is too near? Also does heat from the room causing curing too or is it only the sunlight?

Has anyone found blinds helpful, or any other hints and tips? It's driving me around the bend. :irked:

Last edited:
I don't believe it, my new brush started curing today and it wasn't even sunny! I've put it in a little pot of acetone and hope it'll b ok. This is a real problem but it's odd that it only seems to be the top coat curing especially as the colours are out for longer during application. It took me ages to do the top coat because as the product was drying on the brush the bristles became hard and so dragged on the nails and made little air bubbles!

Right a warning girls I was in a conservatory today raining outside and my OPI topcoat brush cured again. DONT use these gels ANYWHERE near daylight even cloudy days. Remember you can still get a suntan on cloudy days. Uv is always there xx

It would be great to find out what's happening here. I have all my colour bottles on a shelf (in full daylight, but never direct sunlight) and my top and base coats permanently sitting on my desk (again daylight but not direct sunlight).

I have never had this problem. Could it be your desk lamps? I have a daylight bulb in mine.

I don't like full bottles of top or base coat because too much goes on the wand, so I decant from the new bottle into the old every few days - just enough to cover the brush.

It would be good to find the common denominator between you all.

I really don't think it can just be ordinary daylight, it would make the products impossible to use.

It would be great to find out what's happening here. I have all my colour bottles on a shelf (in full daylight, but never direct sunlight) and my top and base coats permanently sitting on my desk (again daylight but not direct sunlight).

I have never had this problem. Could it be your desk lamps? I have a daylight bulb in mine.

I don't like full bottles of top or base coat because too much goes on the wand, so I decant from the new bottle into the old every few days - just enough to cover the brush.

It would be good to find the common denominator between you all.

I really don't think it can just be ordinary daylight, it would make the products

impossible to use.

I have to agree with you and why doesn't it happen to the base or colours hmm strange. I also use a daylight lamp x

I have to agree with you and why doesn't it happen to the base or colours hmm strange. I also use a daylight lamp x

I use a daylight lamp but it has happened when I haven t used it in a bright room . End up like the previous posted mentioned with bubbles that look like bits x

It has definitely only happened to me when I'm either in a conservatory or right next to a window. Doesn't matter whether it is cloudy or sunny !!

Pain up the a*** now because I've ruined two brushes and now I'm going to have to buy another top coat cos I have no brush at all. X:evil:

Latest posts

Back