Help, hair extension client demanding money back!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repooc

Reaction score

Hi everyone Im new to this forum and hope some of you can kindly give me some advice.
Im a fully qualified hairdresser and hair extensionist for over 5 years and recently open a small extension salon. However, I have one client that is demanding for money back from a perfectly sound service.
Before any fitting appt. I always perform a full consultation with do’s and don’ts, after care advice etc so they now exactly what is expected before client signs declaration form.
I also always request for my clients to call back within 5 – 7 days for a free check up to ensure all is well and they’re coping ok where I then, book in their 4 week maintenance appt and before they leave I always inform them if they have any issues to call me immediately.
This client received a full head of micro rings with AAAA Indian remy hair and she left very pleased with the results. However, she never returned within the first week and never heard from her until 3 weeks after her fitting when she called requesting that she needed to see me due to serious issues with spots and being sore in first week followed by balding and blisters developing a week later. And after her seeking advice from several hairdressers to get them removed immediately requested her money back!
I was quite horrified to hear and totally perplexed why on earth she hadn’t notified me as soon as she started with such issues?! I arranged for her to come in first thing following day but during that evening she texted me several times going on about wanting her money back.
When she arrived and I was a little nervy to say the least as not knowing what was going to unfold before my eyes…NOTHING!!! No sores, redness, balding or blisters apart from one tiny raised spot I couldn’t believe my eyes what the hell was she on about?!!
I immediately informed her that there was no evidence to prove her claims and because 3 weeks lapsed without raising her concerns immediately when they supposed of started to occur that no refund would be offered.
However, as a goodwill gesture I was happy for her to book a hair service (colour & cut) with one of the salon stylists and a free hair extension application if and when she decided to have them done again. We booked her in a hair service consultation for the following day and she left with hair in hand having her extensions removed as per her request.
No she never turned up the following day but then I received a text from her the day after thanking for gesture but wants her money back after discussing with family and friends whom have had hair extensions?! And that she will involve Trading Standards!!
WHAT DO I DO?! she is an absolute idiot but my concern is her bad mouthing me and my new business.:(

By the sounds of things you have been more than accommodating and have done nothing wrong, keep all the massages and any pictures you have, I would tell her though a massage that as she knows there was no problems found with the hair or her scalp you will not be refunding her and any further correspondence will be done though your legal advisor ,if she wishes to contact trading standards this is not a problem and you will await a response from them,

Trading standard will know very quickly she is at it, do not respond to her any more and see what happens, nothing im sure and if she makes threats inform the police of the situation, let us know how it go's :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

I feel really sorry for you. I have no experience or qualifications in extensions, but it really does look like you have gone above and beyond for her, and followed procedures. Did she know your business is new? I hate to say it, but there are people out there that like to try it on, knowing you feel vulnerable about establishing your client base and reputation. Stick to your guns, you have been more than accommodating in my opionion

Too many people want something for nothing these days. You have done everything you could do and have been more than generous. I always tell clients hair extensions are either for them or not, it seems like they are not for her. If she is still messaging you tell her exactly what you have done for her and what she hasn't done i.e. bothered coming back after a week and then not even contacting u for 3 weeks to say anything was wrong. Reiterate your gesture of goodwill and advise her that is the end of the matter!! Chances are she is just trying to get something for nothing. U did your job, she chose to have them and she has decided they aren't for her... END OF :) hope this helps xxx

Thank you all for you thoughts and advice. Ive received several messages since and decided not to reply and as a result the last text received she announced she's still unhappy but as not one for causing problems and due to the fact Im a new business she wouldn't involve trading standards and it's now all forgotten because SHE does want any drama!! Thanks again guys you've all been really supportive xx

Thank you all for you thoughts and advice. Ive received several messages since and decided not to reply and as a result the last text received she announced she's still unhappy but as not one for causing problems and due to the fact Im a new business she wouldn't involve trading standards and it's now all forgotten because SHE does want any drama!! Thanks again guys you've all been really supportive xx

Definitely taking the mick. If the issues were so great then trading standards should know and no one else would bow down. Good on you for standing your ground x

Good ridings to bad rubbish, hopefully she never contracts you again:-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Well done you :) some people are a nightmare!!! If I ever have an issue I always ask myself "what's the worst that can happen" and when I think about the worst thing I then think what are the actually chances and usually they are very slim :) xx

I have a lady who I installed extensions on, after 3 days (1 day after her event she'd had them installed for) complained hair was fake and shedding when she "combed it" , sorry did I say comb, she said brush same thing really! (sense my stressed out sarcasm) any how, after 7 days she then starts claiming she has lost 6 and that her hair is falling out (well I counted out extensions after removing them and I had 203) so cut a long story short, I've received a letter today, with a trading standards reference, she has given me until Monday to respond, but is still adamant she wants her money back, going on a month now (a month ago today I removed the extensions free of charge the moment she decided to tell me the extensions were pulling out her hair, which probably happened when using the comb she sent me a pic of) ... I've since got 2 photos from WhatsApp, where she has had 2 different sets of extensions put in, and seen her about with a 3rd, all look to be some sort of weave, how can she prove it's my work that made her have so called bald patches, when she has different hair weekly?! Makes me so angry, she questioned me from day dot of meeting her. Her hair is afro btw

Latest posts

Back