Help hair overload!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
HI hair geeks!

Im not a hairdresser and would like some help:!:
How do you get rid of product buildup in the hair?
I currently use Aveda hair care but should i be using something to get rid of the build yp of all that pollution and muck?

there are products that claim to get rid of build up,similar to like exfoliation i suppose...lol

I also would like to ask how often you should wash your hair?
I have fine blond hair thats in a long bob,and im finding that my hair gets oily and very lank!
Some tips pleeeeeeease!:hug:

heya! i would recommend to wash your hair with a deep cleansing shampoo and then again with a volume shampoo and a light condition! if you find it is getting loads of build up maybe wash it more often or use less product in your hair. a good way of leaving your hair is to use a dry shampoo or even talc which is brill on blonde hair....just rub it in loads. :lol: hope that helps x:)

talc as in talcum powder, like the baby powder? Ive never heard of this but......................my sis is a hairdresser and she has said that one of her colleges uses corn flour as a dry shampoo. You just sprinkle it all over your hair, then rub it in a little then brush thoroughly out. It absorbs the excess oil and build ups. My sis says be weary as she hasn't tried this but it's all natural and should not cause any harm.

I have well water at home which is full of minerals and very hard on the hair.
So with fighting with minerals, hair product build-up and pollution I had to find a good solution to this problem.
What I have done for many years is use Baking soda. The one that you cook with and put in your fridge to absorb odors..
the forumula is 1 tsp baking soda to 1 c warm water. Wet hair down, pour solution over hair and rub it thru your hair like you are shampooing for about 1 minute. Make sure you pay attention to the top of your head (this is where everyone globs on the hair products and hairspray) then rinse really well. Shampoo with your normal professional hair care shampoo ( will only need just a tiny bit) rinse then condition as normal.
I do this once a month.

I have well water at home which is full of minerals and very hard on the hair.
So with fighting with minerals, hair product build-up and pollution I had to find a good solution to this problem.
What I have done for many years is use Baking soda. The one that you cook with and put in your fridge to absorb odors..
the forumula is 1 tsp baking soda to 1 c warm water. Wet hair down, pour solution over hair and rub it thru your hair like you are shampooing for about 1 minute. Make sure you pay attention to the top of your head (this is where everyone globs on the hair products and hairspray) then rinse really well. Shampoo with your normal professional hair care shampoo ( will only need just a tiny bit) rinse then condition as normal.
I do this once a month.

Similar recipe-
packet lemonade mix (citric acid)
1oz shampoo (clarifying is best)
1 oz warm water- wet hair and shampoo, rinse and repeat if necessary.

This works well for swimmers hair also, it won't pull all of the green but does help a considerable amount. Prevention is best for swimmers, they really should invest in swim caps (bonnets?) to keep their hair out of the water!

Similar recipe-

This works well for swimmers hair also, it won't pull all of the green but does help a considerable amount. Prevention is best for swimmers, they really should invest in swim caps (bonnets?) to keep their hair out of the water!
with the lemonade mix, that is without sugar right?:eek: :lol:

If you swim, you can wet hair down prior to entering pool and put a heavy conditioner on the ends. I like Joico Phine. Keeps the chlorine from soaking into the hair. Resolve is their Swimmers/clarifying shampoo

YES!! Without sugar, just the packet, not sweetened!

Am i ok to use this on my hair...its bleached...?...(i hate that word, it sounds so dated...is there another name for it these days....highlighted with bleach...lightened with bleach...bleach foils....see they all contain that word...:lol:) x

Am i ok to use this on my hair...its bleached...?...(i hate that word, it sounds so dated...is there another name for it these days....highlighted with bleach...lightened with bleach...bleach foils....see they all contain that word...:lol:) x

How about artificially sun kissed ?:)

Then don't use the THAT word:lol:
Highlighted.....
Foiled...
Highlight/lowites
Chemically enchanced ;)

Yes,you can use these. I also get my hair highlighted (with bleach) and I have never had any problems. Just make sure you treat your hair to a good conditioning afterwards.

Then don't use the THAT word:lol:
Highlighted.....
Foiled...
Highlight/lowites
Chemically enchanced ;)

Yes,you can use these. I also get my hair highlighted (with bleach) and I have never had any problems. Just make sure you treat your hair to a good conditioning afterwards.

but if i just said its highlighted you wouldn't know if it was colour or bleach...and i felt i needed to say that to ask my question...:green: but i think i like Chemically enhanced...

ohh also...while i have you...:hug: when my hair is done it looks lovely and all but as it is just "bleach" i have (foils)...it can look a little brassy...do you think if i asked my hair stylist to put some sort of toner on it would be better...? i like more ashy tones but colour alone doesn't lift it light enough.

(hope any of that made sense).. x

For a slight brassiness, i have the client use a "blonding shampoo" This shampoo is a purple shampoo that will help get rid of yellowing that is sometimes caused by pollutants and minerals. Use with caution though. Hair can turn a slight purple hue if over used. I send this home with my clients just for a twice a month maintence.
Now if your hair has a darker brassiness to it then I would say go to your hairdresser and have a toner put in. You may have to have your hair lightened more to achieve the lighter ashy tones.
The difference between the shampoo and the toner is that the toner penetrates the hair shaft. The shampoo won't and is only a temporary solution.
But once again, caution is needed when using toners also.

brilliant ... many thanks...xxx

Similar recipe-

Ive heard a top stylist say that if you have green in your highlighted or blond hair after swimming ,
just wash your hair then apply any tomato ketchup
I forget how long you leave it on for , then rinse and condition.
it pulls all the green back out again has any one tried this ?,
minky

Ive heard a top stylist say that if you have green in your highlighted or blond hair after swimming ,
just wash your hair then apply any tomato ketchup
I forget how long you leave it on for , then rinse and condition.
it pulls all the green back out again has any one tried this ?,
minky
Theoretically this should work, I don't know that I would try it on artifically enhanced blond because of porosity.....I know what kind of stain ketchup can leave on counter tops and in plastic dishes, the potential is the same.

In theory it would work because of the acid content of the tomato and vinegar. Would I try it? UHHH no!

Theoretically this should work, I don't know that I would try it on artifically enhanced blond because of porosity.....I know what kind of stain ketchup can leave on counter tops and in plastic dishes, the potential is the same.

In theory it would work because of the acid content of the tomato and vinegar. Would I try it? UHHH no!

HI there

I am definitely going to test this tomato sauce business now on some bleached over processed hair, thats been sun drenched and green tinged by chlorinated pool water, but only on a test cutting as I want to know if it works as good as the top television stylist said it would ,I shall keep you posted unless someone else tries it first?:lol:

Latest posts

Back