Help! Hot orange roots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah Torrey

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I have a client that is blonde all around at a level 9Gold. Her natural level is between a 7-8 ash blonde. She has hot orange roots and so I guess my question is should i bleach her hot roots THEN tone? If so what is your favorite toner to get your client to a COOL blonde tone. Or could I just use purple shampoo/developer as a toner and call it a day? I am a fan of Wella and Redken products also, so if you have any Wella toners or Redken toners that'd be awesome. Any and all help is much appreciated!

Hi everyone! So I have a client that is blonde all around at a level 9Gold. Her natural level is between a 7-8 ash blonde. She has hot orange roots and so I guess my question is should i bleach her hot roots THEN tone? If so what is your favorite toner to get your client to a COOL blonde tone. Or could I just use purple shampoo/developer as a toner and call it a day? I am a fan of Wella and Redken products also, so if you have any Wella toners or Redken toners that'd be awesome. Any and all help is much appreciated!
Yikes! First question, what made her roots orange? This would help to know what to do next...

Yikes! First question, what made her roots orange? This would help to know what to do next...
She went to another stylist to get a foil retouch and what i believed to happen was that the stylist took the foils out too soon and left her with hot roots.

Why don't you just re lighten them to your desired level then tone?

Can't work out why a hairdresser would take foils out so soon! If she is a level 8 the bleach would have had to have been on for such a short time to leave them so orange! Hunk of the underlying pigments.
Just pop heaps of baby lights in and lift to the same level at the ends and them tone. Or you will run the risk of over toning the ends. There's only so much a toner can do

Can't work out why a hairdresser would take foils out so soon! If she is a level 8 the bleach would have had to have been on for such a short time to leave them so orange! Hunk of the underlying pigments.
Just pop heaps of baby lights in and lift to the same level at the ends and them tone. Or you will run the risk of over toning the ends. There's only so much a toner can do
I like KP 10/8 as a toner to help with orange tones though

I would agree with others here, and relighten the roots, and tone just the roots if the ends don't need to be. Use a low developer so you have time to foil all that needs to be done, and if you have Olaplex, I would definitely recommend that, as the hair was just recently lightened.
I use Redken, and I love 09V + 09NB as a nice cool blonde toner, without having the white or grey look to it. If she likes it more white, I would replace the 09NB with 09B,... 1/2oz of 09V+ 1/2oz 09B +1&1/2oz crystal clear+ 2oz processing solution

I wouldn't use a high lift, low vol developer and bleach.

10/89, 9/16 and 8/81 are my faves

Thanks

I would probably do bleach and 3% as you don't know what's gone on before hand, play it safe go low and slow, make sure the lift is clean level 9 at least, and then I'd just tone with 10/0 and 9/16 colour touch for a mire natural 9 base, or slightly cooler I'd just use 9/16 1.9% hope that helps

Latest posts

Back