help, how do i cook large gammon joint!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky's nails

Reaction score
im doing roast for 8 people tonight (thats after we finish fitting the bathroom arrgghhh, bloody men sometimes lol)

and am trying to prepare as much as poss now while its quiet and they all in bed, just got the pork in the overn etc, but got the gammon joint out and realised its got no cooking instructions nothing on it at all, except its 1kg in weight.

now ive boiled gammon in the past but only small ones and with instructions lol, i have no idea how long to do it for, or should i roast it, found a idea on yahoo, to put honey on it and slow roast, but it dosent say how long for, most meats are so many minutes to so many lbs/kg etc, does anyone know what it is for gammon, and whats best way to do it?

help!!!!

The best ever recipe for gammon joints is Nigella Lawsons Ham in Coca Cola.
Sounds odd, but tastes beautifully sweet.
You need a large stew pot or similar, pop the gammon in it, fill with coke (any make but not diet ones), and an onion cut in half. Bring to the boil on the hob, then let it simmer for about an hour per kilo (+15 mins if it's just come out of the fridge.)
Let it cool a little (so it's easier to handle) then remove the skin leaving a thin layer of fat. Score the fat diagonally Nigella recommends smearing this with black treacle, mustard powder and demerera sugar and roast at 240 degrees/gas mark 8 for 10 /15 mins till topping is bubbling (or if you've let the joint cool down to room temp 30-40 mins at 180 degrees/Gm4 turning it up for the last 10 mins.

My family personally prefer a topping of marmalade and brown sugar.
Enjoy.:green::hug:

The best ever recipe for gammon joints is Nigella Lawsons Ham in Coca Cola.
Sounds odd, but tastes beautifully sweet.
You need a large stew pot or similar, pop the gammon in it, fill with coke (any make but not diet ones), and an onion cut in half. Bring to the boil on the hob, then let it simmer for about an hour per kilo (+15 mins if it's just come out of the fridge.)
Let it cool a little (so it's easier to handle) then remove the skin leaving a thin layer of fat. Score the fat diagonally Nigella recommends smearing this with black treacle, mustard powder and demerera sugar and roast at 240 degrees/gas mark 8 for 10 /15 mins till topping is bubbling (or if you've let the joint cool down to room temp 30-40 mins at 180 degrees/Gm4 turning it up for the last 10 mins.

My family personally prefer a topping of marmalade and brown sugar.
Enjoy.:green::hug:

well that sounds great, only prob is im allergic to coke, (caffeine and aspartme) lol so cant use that recipe, but im assuming the hour per kilo would be ok to just do it in water, would i then cpook the last 15/20 mins in oven or stay in pan ?

thanks for help babe

nicky xxxx

Well, I cook alot of Cawl, and that includes a big joint of ham in our house, other peeps like lamb, beef etc, but back to the question!

Put the joint into a large stewing pot, cover in cold water and then bring up to the boil, when it is boiling, tun it down to a slow boil, not simmering but not boiling either!

Now at this point I leave it for 2 hours, and I keep checking the water level!

I dont salt it just pepper in the water.

When 2 hours is up, I drain it, score that fat on top and rub in mustard powder , top with honey and then some brown sugar, pop it under a medium-low grill until the sugar forms a crust, voila, lush ham!!

Well, I cook alot of Cawl, and that includes a big joint of ham in our house, other peeps like lamb, beef etc, but back to the question!

Put the joint into a large stewing pot, cover in cold water and then bring up to the boil, when it is boiling, tun it down to a slow boil, not simmering but not boiling either!

When 2 hours is up, I drain it, score that fat on top and rub in mustard powder , top with honey and then some brown sugar, pop it under a medium-low grill until the sugar forms a crust, voila, lush ham!!

this is how i do mine too

god how good are you lot ! i just boil it then stick it in oven , no scoring or adding anything , lol , willl have to try that , thanks xx

I find if you cook it for about 1 hour longer than recommended it is soooooo tender and tasty!
And its a cheap meal, if you get a large ham, then you can use it to add to pasta, put it into dauphinoise potatoes etc, its great!

then you can use it to add to pasta, put it into dauphinoise potatoes etc, its great!

what on eaRTH ARE THOSE ?/

Yep, me too. I've also done it in Coke but found it a bit too sweet.

I find if you cook it for about 1 hour longer than recommended it is soooooo tender and tasty!
And its a cheap meal, if you get a large ham, then you can use it to add to pasta, put it into dauphinoise potatoes etc, its great!

Dauphinoise potatoes. Yum! Never thought of putting ham in it. Good idea!

will someone please tell me what they are ?? i aint never heard of em :lol:

Sorry Dee, just slice your spuds up thin as you like, and layer them in an oven proof dish, mix up a bit of a sauce to go ontop, garlicy, cheesy etc and then whack in the oven for about 30-45mins, try some parmesan on top and some seal salt nice and crispy!! Delish!!

And then once youve got left over ham just put some ham on each layer of spuds!!

Latest posts

Back