help! how do you extend the nail bed of a bitten nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_A

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to this site and i'm also newly qualified in creative acrylic, so i've got alot to learn:eek: and hope i can get some advice.I have got a client this friday who has got bitten nails,and she also has extremly wide thumbs, plus size tips are even a struggle to fit her thumbs. (my worst nightmare, as i thought my first client would have been straight forward) i have been reading some of the threads on this site about bitten nails but i just want to understand, how do you extend the nail bed with acrylic? i probably sound silly but i'm just trying to get my head around it? do i use a sculpting form and apply a thin layer of clear acrylic to the free edge to extend it out, before placing the white to create a free edge? please help.

thanks. xx:confused:

Extending the nail bed is easy.. were you taught Custom Blending or the use of Flawless powder on your CND course? (and do you have any of these powders) Can you sculpt? or are you more confident with tips?

I am a sculptor primarily so if you know how to sculpt I am sure some of us on here can walk you thru that.

thankyou, i will have a read.

Ash x

hey,
i was not taught how to custom blend, and i was taught using perfect colour acrylic not the flawless range. is there a difference using the flawless acrylic? i'm more comfortable using tips, but by the sizes of my clients thumbs i think sculpting will be better, but i have not really sculpted before. is sculpting easier to do?

thanks

hey,
i was not taught how to custom blend, and i was taught using perfect colour acrylic not the flawless range. is there a difference using the flawless acrylic? I'm more comfortable using tips, but by the sizes of my clients thumbs i think sculpting will be better, but i have not really sculpted before. is sculpting easier to do?

thanks

Okay.. read thru everything u can get your eyes on here... trust me this site is magic... Its a shame CND don't focus on teaching their techs how to use ALL of their L&P products (Especially CB and flawless use) as its pretty much essential once u get out in the big bad world so you CAN deal with a lot of the nails that turn up at your door step.

There is an art to using Flawless powders, and most techs have their own way to use it, personally I use tiny amounts of it to cover and disguise shabby nail beds, or extend a biters beds (if they suit the flawless - as its rather peachy in colour) I use a small bead in zone two after sculpting on a tip, I fill a small area of zone two in with the flawless.. then pick up a tiny bead and place it in the beginning of zone three and feather it out toward the cuticle line, I then use either Perfect Pink or Perfect Intense pink (depending on the clients skin tone) over the top of the flawless base I have just created.

Custom Blending allows you to create a colour for the nail bed that suits the clients skin tone to a tee... I have pots of Cool, warm, and Neutral tones pre-mixed which I can match to about 95% of the clients skin tones

Is sculpting easier to do?... that kind of depends on you, some techs click with sculpting and some never do, I personally did, so my answer would be yes.. but then I am proficient in it.. in the beginning it wasn't easy but I preferred it to tipping so was determined to master it... check out the tutorials on here on sculpting also.

hi,
I myself have just completed my CND L&P foundation, I feel quite lucky that on mine we were taught to sculpt and were given a brief introduction to custom blending. My model was an absolute nightmare choice (but the only one i had) Not onlt did she have bitten nails but some of her nail beds, i.e her thumbs, were too wide to fit a tip onto hence how we ended up being shown how to sculpt. I have found quite alot of tutorials on this site that will help you and also some threads that have some step by steps, if you do a search i am sure you will find them (i think there was one i found the other day by 'Peter pan' if i remember). Good luck, I'm sure you wont need it!!!

sian

Thankyou all so much for replying, i will start searching for them tutorials now, just need to get used to using this site.... lol. i'm going to get some practiceto. As they say "practice makes perfect" just need the confidence.
Thanks again.

Ashley

Ok so for those of us who wern't taught custom blends - how do you deal with a nail biter?

so those of us who haven't learned custom blends then how do we deal with nail biters? I have one in tonight who wants Gel enhancements!

Thanks Sandi - gonna go play!

Latest posts

Back