Help!!!! I dont know what to tell my student

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becca boo

Reaction score
Ok so i have a student about to start a gel f/s. The client asked me how to make the gel more durable. I told the client that gel is the least durable of artifical nails this is my understanding
strongest acrylic then fiberglass then silk then gel

the other instructor says
strongest silk then fiberglass then gel last acrylic and sculpts the weakest of acrylics

I need info to back up what is and isnt i googled with no luck searched threads with no luck

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP

we use opi micro bond if that makes a difference

All of the systems are durable if done correctly

In my opinion and also what i have been taught, acrylic has the strongest chemical structure out of all of the acrylic family. All systems are from the acrylic family. It's just that liquid and powder have to be combined correctly to produce a strong enhancment. Gel is a semi mixed prduct already and is still from the acrylic family, but if applied correctly is very much a strong and flexible overlay. then fiberglass is classed as the most flexible but is still strong but not as strong as L&P or gel. Reason for this is because fiberglass and the resin can break down over time, which is why some fiberglass systems need to soak off and renew every few months. ( not with EZ Flow fiberglass though)

I have found all three systems to be strong if applied correctly. I would also say, if you sculpt with gel or L&p you will have far stronger structures than if you tip and overlay. There's no danger of the break down of the resin used to apply the tips, so can be a weak link if that makes sense.

thankx hun that helps alot. I knew they all came from the same family but your explanation helps

That tutorial is amazing I knew there was a reason I love L&P

I thought and was told by my educator that L&P is the strongest followed by Gel (brisa) and then Fibreglass/silk!

i thought this but then my educator said they are all strong when applied correctly but gels aren't quite as durable as l+p

Thank you everyone for your replies now my problem is proving the information that i know. Just my word for it is not enough.

I am so stuck on this sculpts being less durable than a tip. what??:rolleyes:

fabrics to be more durable, they are the quickest to break down:rolleyes:

fabrics are hard to build an apex i think, as you are just building layers where as with acrylic and gel you can make the apex with the product and they aren't durable as from what i understand you can only rebalance them once or twice as when you keep using the activator the product ages and turns yellow so you have to soak them off and do them again!!

proof is in the products, maybe you should have some little guinie pigs in the class to see for them selves???

Thanks geeks, I appreciate your help unfortunately, its still one instructor says this and the other instructor says that. We are not going to agree and that causes a problem. What can I do? The other instructor has been there for a few years so she kinda has more creditability that I do even though I have worked in the profession (she went strait from school to instructing there.)

The thing that doesn’t make sense we went to school together, I usto help her with her l&p so were she ever received this info. is beyond me.

Tell her to join Nailgeek

:wink2:

I think you should both agree how to tackle this problem so there is no 'you vs. her' thing going on ..it is very confusing to students.

These comparisons are 'out of the ark' these days as there are so many new systems with new technology that break the old 'rules'. There are no rules anymore.

Why not agree to say that all systems when applied well and built well are strong and durable ... and leave it at that.

Wraps are strong but less durable (in other words they do not last as long) because the resin eventually does break down in water and becomes brittle. NOT in 2 minutes, but eventually yes they do. Some cheap end liquids and powders do the same ... you simply cannot generalise anymore to students about these things as there are products that outlast others of the same variety eg. L&P and gels, they do not all behave in the same way.

Students should be taught the truth not old wives tales.

I think you should both agree how to tackle this problem so there is no 'you vs. her' thing going on ..it is very confusing to students.

These comparisons are 'out of the ark' these days as there are so many new systems with new technology that break the old 'rules'. There are no rules anymore.

Why not agree to say that all systems when applied well and built well are strong and durable ... and leave it at that.

Wraps are strong but less durable (in other words they do not last as long) because the resin eventually does break down in water and becomes brittle. NOT in 2 minutes, but eventually yes they do. Some cheap end liquids and powders do the same ... you simply cannot generalise anymore to students about these things as there are products that outlast others of the same variety eg. L&P and gels, they do not all behave in the same way.

Students should be taught the truth not old wives tales.

Geeg that is a great idea i think we get all defensive when someone dissagrees with us and forgot what was really important about teaching giving the facts!!

So instead of proving her wrong this is great for you both to agree on for the students..

Your so Clever Geeg xx:hug:xx

Thankx Geeg, and that’s my point I do not want a vs. match. I am dealing with the confusion it causes and would like to come to a common ground. Its not a I must prove her wrong but my words alone are not enough. That’s why I say I need to prove the situation so that there is something for a better understanding. She believes that acrylics are the weakest because of the constant lifting breaking etc.. and does not see it as improper prep or application as the problem. Sculpts are weaker because they don’t have a tip to support the product instead of a sculpt having a better bond to the keratinI understand everything you geeks are saying and agree but I need to find a way to support what I know not just that I know it and that is the problem.

Why not agree to say that all systems when applied well and built well are strong and durable ... and leave it at that. By geeg I get this, I understand this, I know this. How do I support this. We are talking about someone who has been teaching for 6-7 years and then there is me who just finished my cadetting and is still waiting on the paperwork for my instructors’ certificate.
I don’t care whos right or wrong how can I present this to find the common ground and avoid the confusion in the future

HOLY COW that was a lot to type am I making sense

i don't think you should knock yourself hun just because she's ben doing it longer, 6-7 years ago alot has changed since then she may not have moved with the times and the product, i'm not sayiny thay she has had inadiquate training just that the nail indusrty changes from day to day and you need to keep up with it!!!

The thing is if you could both say all systems can be strong and durable when done properly then you shouldn't need the paper work to back it up, there are pro's and cons about all 3 systems maybe just teach them these and what systems are good for who etc i know this probably doesn't help you much but i really don't know what to suggest for you hun , feels like were going round in circles lol

Huh I agree. I think im just going to see if maybe we can take some training classes together or something and just find a way for us to be on the same page thats all that matters.

As long as my students understand the pros and cons thats all that matters and they can decide for themselves.

Thank u

How worrying is this thread!!????

Teachers being this far apart and so far behind the advancement of the scientific technology in the industry!

All I can say is, well done Becca Boo for bringing it here!

Why does there have to be a this system vs that system thing at all?

There are basically 3 different ways to enhance natural nails ... full stop!

Choose the one you like the best and go for it and then aim to master all 3 to be a full service technician.

Which one should the client choose or which one will you choose for her? Well the one that suits her life style and has the look she prefers! It's really so simple. Why make it difficult?

Some systems may be a little stronger than others, but THEY ARE ALL STRONGER THAN THE NATURAL NAILS so where is the problem. Why should it matter so much to you to prove that one is marginally stronger than the other when they all do the job?

I think we try to make things way too complicated.

I think what I am saying here is being mis represented. I was wanting a better understanding and hopefully something just to support what I know and if im wrong thats fine i would like to know the correct way or correct understanding. Not to prove that im right and thats it. I use all 3 types I try to understand all 3 I teach all 3 every other month and want to give my students the best understanding. I dont want it to be this or it has to be that at all and is not my intentions. I teach my students to decide for themselves what they like experement with all brands find what they like. Just under the circumstances I had a very confused student and didnt know what to tell her. I did not want to disrespect the other instructor or put her down.

I even tried talking to the other instructor and seeing if we could come to a common area but the reply i recieved was it not up for debate and now shes working admin and not classroom and I can teach what i want. The students look up to her embrace her advice I am not wanting to under mind her or it to be a debate or even a complicated issue.

I just wanted advice and now im sorry i did because it got more turned around that i was intending. Thank you for taking the time to try and help

Latest posts

Back