help i have an assessment next week & I'm nervous about consultations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millytada

Reaction score
I have an assessment on facials and possibly make up if i can find a client next week and im worried about the consultation i haven't really been taught what to do - also the record card side because i don't know what to fill out apparently you have to write down all the products used i don't see how i would fit it all in??

Hi

The best way I found to fill out a record card was to take the clients general details e.g. name, address, contact numbers and doctors details etc.

With regards to the consultation. Just prompt your client by asking them open ended questions - like what do they want to achieve from the facial, have they any concerns regarding their skin - e.g. problem skin, dry or dehydrated.

I only did my assessment a few weeks back...so I know how you feel. Just take your time. Go through your first cleanse and then analyse the skin looking at their skin in more depth, look for comodones, puffiness around the eyes, does it look and feel dry.

What course are you doing?

I have an assessment on facials and possibly make up if i can find a client next week and im worried about the consultation i haven't really been taught what to do - also the record card side because i don't know what to fill out apparently you have to write down all the products used i don't see how i would fit it all in??

Lots and lots of open questions - these are ones where they can't just give a yes/no answer. Easy example- instead of saying 'do you use cleanser?', say 'what sort of cleanser do you use?'
Find out what products they currently use and how their skin feels after using them. Do they have a skincare routine, if so what is it? Ask if they have any concerns with their skin. Have they ever had a reaction to any products? How does their skin feel and look at different times of the day - morning/evening?

What you're basically trying to do is to find out how their skin responds during the course of a day and to their products, whether they have any issues they would like addressed, so you can determine what products you need to use on them and also what you would recommend for homecare use.

It's not as complicated as you think - if you know your products then you won't have a problem deciding what to use, but you need to get as much info from your client in a relatively short space of time. Some of the questions you can ask while you're doing your first cleanse and skin inspection, then add the info to the record card while the mask is on.

With the record card, yes you will need to write down all the products you use. Just write very small! :) If you need to take up more space, then take up more space. Imagine if it was a salon and your client rebooked, but you hadn't written down what you had used - it would make your job a lot more difficult. Also you would need to have it written down for insurance purposes in the event of there being a problem with a treatment and a claim being made against you.

Hope this helps! And good luck with your assessment, you'll be fine I'm sure.

If there's still something you're not sure about, why not ask your tutor? I'm sure they'd be very happy to explain things to you.

im doing beauty theraoy nvq level 2 but as its an apprenticeship i don't often see my tutor so its difficult but i really appreciate your help i just hate the thought of failing - i know id be fine if i wasnt being watched because i get nervous then lol

im doing beauty theraoy nvq level 2 but as its an apprenticeship i don't often see my tutor so its difficult but i really appreciate your help i just hate the thought of failing - i know id be fine if i wasnt being watched because i get nervous then lol

Ooh, I know only too well what you mean, I absolutely hate exams where you've got someone peering over your shoulder - or at least that's what it feels like! Just get in as much practice as you possibly can. Does doing an apprenticeship mean that you're working in a salon? If so, can one of the therapists take on the role of the examiner, watching what you're doing and asking questions as well? At least that way you'd be more used to it when you do your actual assessment.

With your tutor, did she not give you a way of contacting her? Even if it was only a chat over the phone that would probably help you.

Latest posts

Back