Help-I need some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helloandy

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Andy, i'm 29 years old and have a burning desire to make it in the hairdressing industry. I completed my NVQ level 2 and 3 in hairdressing both full time at college about 6 years ago. Whilst i was eager to start my training as soon as i could, it was a little short sighted of me as i was still recovering from an injury that meant i was unable to physically start working in the industry. I enjoyed my time at college, but i don't feel it provided me with all i needed to start working in the industry (at the professional level i want to be at) and as such, i'm finding it hard to break my way in.
I'm currently working part-time in a salon and take part in their training nights whilst juggling another career(that helps pay the bills). I'm at the point where i need and want to put all my focus into hairdressing - I've tried on numerous occasions to get into a salon full time as an assistant / apprentice, but as i already have the qualifications, i'm struggling to get in.
At the moment- i dont have the confidence or the skills to start as a stylist... and therefore i thought it would be a good idea to work as an assistant full time in a salon, to build confidence and skills - but im finding that a bit tricky to get into.
I've often thought about an intensive course with Sassoon or Toni and Guy to give me the required skills and confidence to carve a place for me in the industry.... but from speaking with both , i'm being quoted around 10 thousand for the course... has anyone done one?!
I'm really eager to get my career finally underway, i have a huge passion for hairdressing and any help you can give me would be very much appreciated... Although on paper i have nvq 2 and 3... i'm not ready just yet, to walk in a s stylist...

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

Thanks guys,

The Sassoon ABC courses would be ideal for improving your skills and confidence. They're about £1k for a weeks training but well worth it.

Start with the ABC cutting and see how you go. That might be all you need to get you up to speed and into a good salon.

(They usually run offers each summer whereby if you book two courses, you get a discount on the second one.)

The Sassoon ABC courses would be ideal for improving your skills and confidence. They're about £1k for a weeks training but well worth it.

Start with the ABC cutting and see how you go. That might be all you need to get you up to speed and into a good salon.

(They usually run offers each summer whereby if you book two courses, you get a discount on the second one.)
What about day courses at Capital or your local wholesalers? Have you got any friends in hairdressing, I made friends with someone on level 3 whose been in the industry a long time, and she helps me with training, for hair cuts and vivid colours.

Its tougher as you get older to get a foot in the door but don't give up! I notice you are in Brighton and there are loads of great salons down there. Having lived and worked there I know it can be hard as a lot of people seem to do hair there too. I would say print off a CV with your photo on it. Walk into all the salons and ask to speak with the manager and see if you can have a chat or schedule a time. It sounds like with a bit of encouragement you could be a junior stylist and working on the floor pretty quickly. You just need to gain some confidence,hold your nerve and a good salon to hand hold you through it, you will get there!

I know Avant Guarde (in Lewes) are opening another salon in Haywards Health in October this year. Might be worth going into the salon (In Lewes) and seeing if you can speak to the manager and see if they have a position available if you could commute? Alternatively if you decide to go down the Sassoon course route look at the 4 week salon intensive course (but its 4K) Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back