Help I'm so confused about NVQ & VCTC

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynailparadise

Reaction score
Hi,

I am so confused that my brain is starting to hurt, so I thought I would ask all you geeks for help!:cry: 2 questions...

What is the difference between NVQ and VCTC (or is it VTCT, I don't even know)??

I have been a nail tech for many years now and have just started a new job that requires I have an NVQ level 3 in nail extensions. I registered for this with my last job, I still have the folder, but didn't get a chance to complete it. I wanted to find out if I could transfer to another center where I could continue doing it, so I phoned up the nearest one for me, which is Milton Keynes, but apparently they are not doing NVQ anymore and VCTC is taking over.

Is it possible to do NVQ level 3 nail extensions in 1 day???

My employer has given me the details of a training school that does NVQ, but its done in 1 day!! How is this possible? It sound s to good to be true! You just have to go down with a model do 1 set of extensions (gel, l&p or fiber) then you get a certificate!! When I did my NVQ beauty therapy 2&3, nail extensions was not a part of it, but i know how NVQ works, you have to do so many assessments in each system, not just 1!

Has anybody ever heard of this?

Please help:confused:

As far as I know they are very similar, it is just a different governing body.

As to the timing - you can do a course which teaches you what you need to do and then you do the assessments.

Alternatively you can book only to do the assessments, but I would be surprised if you can do all of the assessments in one day.

Hopefully someone else could clarify this a bit more.

Hi There,

OK.....I always thought that VTCT (Vocational Training Charity Trust i think) was a governing body. They were the one's who awarded my NVQ and my IHBC....

As far as i am aware, there are NO NVQ's that you can complete in one day.

NVQ is the qualification. VTCT is an Awarding Body (like City & Guilds)

Maybe a better way of understanding this is to compare it to GCSE's or A Levels. You take the qualification at school but different schools use different Awarding Bodies who administer and award the qualification. The qualification is the same but the name on the top of the certificate is different.

VTCT administers and awards NVQ's, as do other Awarding Bodies. It does seem confusing when you are offered VTCT qualifications. These are NOT NVQ's. They are (acceptable) independant qualifications that are similar.

No one can complete an NVQ in 1 day! It may be possible for experienced technicians to complete all assessments (maybe!!??) but there is still a lot more work to do to satisfy an Internal and External Assessor.

NVQ is the qualification. VTCT is an Awarding Body (like City & Guilds)

Maybe a better way of understanding this is to compare it to GCSE's or A Levels. You take the qualification at school but different schools use different Awarding Bodies who administer and award the qualification. The qualification is the same but the name on the top of the certificate is different.

VTCT administers and awards NVQ's, as do other Awarding Bodies. It does seem confusing when you are offered VTCT qualifications. These are NOT NVQ's. They are (acceptable) independant qualifications that are similar.

No one can complete an NVQ in 1 day! It may be possible for experienced technicians to complete all assessments (maybe!!??) but there is still a lot more work to do to satisfy an Internal and External Assessor.

:hug:
I couldn't agree more I teach but SVQ(scottish version of NVQ) as well as VTCT and both are completed over 12/18 weeks and not any less.

So I dont know how it can be possible do this in a day and you would have to satisfy the internal and external assessor..

Good Luck with this
Regards
Tracey

Thank you all for your replies.
I still find it really mind boggling how a training school can advertise for a 1 day NVQ!
Do you think this legit??

Latest posts

Back