Help - I've lost the buzz!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim@Talontastic

Reaction score
I used to thourghly enjoy doing nails, but since I've finished college I seem to have lost the buzz and I really want to get it back it was such a good time in my life.

It could be related to my day job which is really getting me down but I can't leave that until I get better at nails and can afford to leave. ( I have my own house and live alone!) I have looked in local salons but no one needs a nail tech at the moment. I have other beauty qualifications as well but my heart lies with nails. I was thinking of booking onto a new OPI course to bring the sparkle back but I can't afford that at the moment.

I have got my business cards done and they look fab and I have printed some black and white flyers out to deliver but I just can't get motivated to take them out as it is so cold and dark on a night.

The thing is I don't live in a particularly well off area and there are salons here that charge £10-£15 for a full set. I just don't understand how they can afford to do this and why they don't value there work enough to charge more. If that makes sense. I value my work and I understand my speeds aren't perfect yet which is why I need practise.

Ideally I think a nail trainer would be a good investment for me therefore I am trying to save up for one. Where is the best place to get one from?

How do you geeks cope if you loose the buzz??? I'm hoping it's only a temporary thing and it'll come rushing back soon. Professional Beauty did help abit as I saw lots of fabulous products, just don't no where to start with them.

Sorry for the long post it wasn't meant to be this long.

Kim xx

It will come back hun it happens to the best of us sometimes:hug:

I usually go down to my supplier & buy something new to keep me interested, whether its new nail art tools or new powders, just something to get me excited again & it works everytime, I'm like a kid in a lolly shop down there:lol:.

You can always have a browse on the site, its kinda contagious having so many geeks so excited about what they do!!

I don't have a nail trainer but im pretty sure you'll be able to get one down at your local supplier....do you have any people you can use for guinea pigs?

It happens to everyone hun, so try not to fret. I'm feeling a bit like this at the moment but am hoping to do further training before Christmas to get my oomph back.

You say you can't afford a course at the mo, but maybe there is a fellow geek near you who would be happy to meet up for a chat and get the old nail passion flowing again. Or do you have any friends or family that are willing to have you practice until you get a nail trainer? Maybe if you have someone flashing your work around it may give you the boost you need.

Sorry if I'm not much help. I'm just trying to think of things that give me my spark back.:hug:

I used to spend ages doing my own nails..which is an art in itself ! I would create new nail art designs etc and then wear them.. I always got a boost when people complimented them..especially when they ask me where I get them done and I reply I do them myself!!

Its a great advert for my work. I always find that whatever I have on my nails, my clients want on theirs..they see it looks good and people love to copy..

So go on..even if its something simple like a french with two strong colours or a few diamantes.. or even a full set of ext if you've got 2 hrs to spare..its all good practice and I'm sure someone will notice..why not even post a pic on here for us to critique...that will make you try hard!

good luck hun

hi kim,have you tried geekbay for a nail trainer? why not get your mates round 1 night have a good laugh and ask them if you could practice on them....you can charge small amounts then (same as shops near you ) and get practice then you might have saved money not needing a nail trainer and have more money for a course...if that is still what you want...hth :hug:

Hi Kim, I used to feel exactly the same way as you. I was in the same situation as yourself too, stuck in a job that I so wanted to leave but I couldn't because like yourself I couldn't afford to plus I also felt myself that i'd lost the buzz for nails due to the fact I weren't getting many clients. If you can't be bothered walking the streets posting flyers, which I don't blame you, try advertising in a local paper in the classifieds in the health and beauty section or there are free classified websites such as Gumtree and Vivastreet where you can post your own ad on the internet, just think of how many people look at these!! I only advertise myself by both of these methods, the paper and the internet and I don't need to advertise anywhere else. My phone is ringing on a daily basis, plus practise on everybody you know, tell them they are having Nails!!! As far as the nail trainer is concerned don't waste your money buying a brand new one go on e-bay you will be surprised how many people are selling ones that are nearly new as you will find that you won't need to use it for that long before you are up to scratch. I bought a brand new one and didn't get that much use out of it, my friend is using it now to practise on otherwise I would post mine to you!
Try not to feel too down, I know it's hard but you will get there, hope that helps, :hug:.

I used to thourghly enjoy doing nails, but since I've finished college I seem to have lost the buzz and I really want to get it back it was such a good time in my life.

It could be related to my day job which is really getting me down but I can't leave that until I get better at nails and can afford to leave. ( I have my own house and live alone!) I have looked in local salons but no one needs a nail tech at the moment. I have other beauty qualifications as well but my heart lies with nails. I was thinking of booking onto a new OPI course to bring the sparkle back but I can't afford that at the moment.

I have got my business cards done and they look fab and I have printed some black and white flyers out to deliver but I just can't get motivated to take them out as it is so cold and dark on a night.

The thing is I don't live in a particularly well off area and there are salons here that charge £10-£15 for a full set. I just don't understand how they can afford to do this and why they don't value there work enough to charge more. If that makes sense. I value my work and I understand my speeds aren't perfect yet which is why I need practise.

Ideally I think a nail trainer would be a good investment for me therefore I am trying to save up for one. Where is the best place to get one from?

How do you geeks cope if you loose the buzz??? I'm hoping it's only a temporary thing and it'll come rushing back soon. Professional Beauty did help abit as I saw lots of fabulous products, just don't no where to start with them.

Kim xx

Last week there was a thread on here about a wooden flexible hand at Lidl's. Go to them online and click on "current specials" it's only £6.99. Might be useful and cheaper.

Hth's :)

Hiya xx

Nail Trainer ...try geekbay as mentioned above.

Get those leaflets posted....wrap up warm one Sunday/Saturday morning...put your MP3 player on and burn off these negative feelings...:lol:....you can make this work.

Don't worry about what anyone is doing....you have no idea that the people going there are actually happy....they could just be going there cos its all there is local to them...YOU could be just what they need.

Done try to compete price wise...if your cheep you tend to appear cheep...if your more expensive then people tend to want to know why...thats when you wow them and show them why.

Get your nails on all your mates....give them your cards to pass around.

Do you have a local rag...?? they are usually quite cheap to advertise in and get more coverage that is possible with doing a leaflet drop.

Until you are able to do nails full time...you could try just doing evenings and weekends at home/mobile...this will keep your hand in...get your name out there and earn you some money.

Do a few special bits that i bet the others don't do...lovely hand massage afterwards....choice of drinks....complimentary cuticle oil on first visit....go that extra mile.

I have faith in you !!!! xx

Some more training will probably help you iron out any problems.

It must be really hard for you having to work at another job but in order for this to work you have to give it 100% and really push yourself.
Is a home salon or mobile work possible for you?

What about a Sunday? It could be worth a try?

The salons can't actually afford to do this..they are probably working at a loss or have trainees getting up to standard in order to charge these prices.
You have to charge the price that YOU think is suitable...not anyone else.

Definately a good idea, look on geekbay or ebay if possible.

Start with the basics..mani, pedi, nail art and enhancements when possible.
Always wear your work and make sure that your friends and relatives do too.
BUT they must pay for this...you don't want to start handing out freebies tbh

Kim xx

You will have to work hard to get the clients but if you do it will be so worthwhile, remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Good luck x

aww bless ya hun - i just coming out of my "loss of buzz" at the moment. i lost mine due to one thing and another, but wont go there......anyway after not wearing nails myself for 3 months ( im never without them usually) i got things organised to go to gmex and thought id better get some nails on, and when i did do them, i actually ENJOYED doing it (again...at last) this lack of buzz happens to all of us sweetpea, you will get it back, if thats where your passion is. GET THOSE FLYERS OUT, bugger the cold, think of the dosh you will be receiving.........as for practice, yes i agree, a nail trainer would be good, as the others have suggested. all things take patience and practice flower, so you just stick in there, it will all come right for you in the end
:hugs:

Hi,
Aw poor you ,im almost in the same boat i have another part job,i woz working there mon-fri,ive dropped mondays and tues pms so im free to do nails,ive been advertising ive had a few clients here and there but not as many as hoped,but alot of the geeks on here say its a quiet time of year at the moment,i have booked an ezflow acrylic course next month,as ive had peeps phone up asking for acrylics,but i dont do it,so ive booked that in today and looking really forward to it.Ive had a few times when ive felt like giving it up speacily went you get the awkward clients,i do take things to heart,and if people fault my work i cant always take the critisism,i go home thinking im gonna jack this in but then think of all the money ive spent on courses,keep ya head up girl youll get over it i think,dont let the buggers get to you,as for a nail trainer i got mine from ebay.Goodluck with the advertising if only you were guaranteed a call with flyers ah ,i had a call as soon as sent out my second lot of flyers,thought all that walking was worth it ,the 3rd lot i delivered ran in to get my phone...no calls...only a couple of days later for acrylics ..uuurr.

You'll get it back hun.....if you can't afford a course, take a trawl through the tutorials on here and the gallery also....give you something to work towards.....they sky is the limit if you allow it to be xxx

Fantastic advise here already, I have felt like you have hun. My advise to you is........

Pick yourself and dust yourself down and go for it, have kick ass nails on(as previously said) and sell yourself. Exude a confidence(even if you don't feel it within yourself) and say, yes I can. Never mind the low price salons in your area, offer something that they can't which will probably be ability. As Sass has said before have a usp (unique selling point) hers was nail biters. Mine is coloured l&p, hardly anyone here does it, I found that clients were cautious of it at first but now they are going down a storm. At first they thought it was enamel!:)

Even if it's giving something extra as Angie said just something that gives you an edge on what is out there. Don't undersell yourself you are worth a whole lot more :hug:

hth

Thank you so much all of you for your advise and support, it's just what I needed.:hug:

I've actually cut my flyers out last night so at least they are all ready to go now. I think that I'm going to post them tonight.:) My boyfriend is going to come with me and take the dog then hopefully my phone might ring at least once.

I've been without nails now for about 6 weeks:cry:, as my natural nails had gotten so bad due to me putting them on and taking them off every other day to practise. So maybe tonight after I've delivered flyers I will do my own. Was even thinking last night of trying to do my toe nails with acrylic, but I'm not sure how hard that will be?!? My friend does gel on hers and they look so pretty, that might have to wait for another night.

Thank You again and I'll keep you posted. xxx:hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back