Help, I've never pre pigged before!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cremeegg86

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope you're all well :). I am looking for some help.

I have never pre pigged hair, and was never taught this at college so I need a little clarification. I have read through about 10 other threads and am starting to get an understanding but just want to check my thoughts before I carry on!

My friend has coloured hair, most of it is Wella KP 1/2 9 + 1/2 8. Through the top of hair she has some high lift tint highlights (LEVEL 10). this was always done by her hairdresser. her natural shade is a level 6.

Anyway, she's asked if I would start doing her hair.

So, we decided to do a root smudge and this is where I messed up. We agreed to take heronea level darker so I did 1/2 7 and 1/2 8 Koleston and let it develop. two things have happened.

1. its already washing out after 2 shampoos
2. a few of the highlights have taken on a slightly grey/khaki tone - she actually hasn't noticed but I can see it and know that when I go back to redo the root smudge it will happen again.

SO, I understand after researching here I need to pre pig.
I would like to use Wella please.

I am thinking, dampen her hair and do a root smudge with :

option 1: /33 special mix (someone said this is wella guideline)
option 2: 3.5 parts 9/03 with 0.5 parts 8/73 (found this on a wella pdf)
option 3: a warm golden level 7? but I presume that won't kick out the khaki. or a /7,/73,/75,/77? maybe 1/2 7/73 and 1/2 8?
option 4: 7/45

I'm really confused.

Would anyone say I am on the right track? Any input would be great as I love learning, but I feel brain fog coming on!

I would always use perfecton to pre pig if i had it. But it's difficult when you only want to do the roots. You had the right tones though with the gold.

Hopefully someone else how to pre pig before an ombre :p

Personally I use colour touch plus for root smudges on porous Hair and avoid pre pigging and you have to be really accurate.

If you want natural cool looking roots then 6/16 7/81 8/69 and pastel are perfect too as they were violet based there are no khaki tones.

I would remove what you have previously done and re do with the above

I would always use perfecton to pre pig if i had it. But it's difficult when you only want to do the roots. You had the right tones though with the gold.

Hopefully someone else how to pre pig before an ombre :p

Hmm, I have never used perfection so let me go look!
What would you be doing colour wise (shade) if you were in my position? I'm sure it wouldn't have been making such a rookie error :/
Thanks for answering :)

Personally I use colour touch plus for root smudges on porous Hair and avoid pre pigging and you have to be really accurate.

If you want natural cool looking roots then 6/16 7/81 8/69 and pastel are perfect too as they were violet based there are no khaki tones.

So, just bleach bath the few highlights?
The rest of the smudge colour is actually nice it's just coming out fast!
What would happen if I went in with the 7/81, what sort of shade would the khaki then go?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a touch outside my comfort zone and really want to learn from this

EssexFreelamce mentioned some nice colours, or you could use Illumina, Illumina always looks more natural x

EssexFreelamce mentioned some nice colours, or you could use Illumina, Illumina always looks more natural x
Sorry, I meant in perfecton! I see there’s a gold or a red so maybe I can mix them. Thanks for coming back here x

You're going for a 7 to an 8, so mix more off /33 with /43 x

You're going for a 7 to an 8, so mix more off /33 with /43 x
Thanks! I think I am starting to get it!

I am going to weave out the few khaki highlights and bleach them back out and then keep them out for now (very fine) as I don't think I'm ready to try and counteract the khaki.

Then I will use the gold perfecton to help my final colour stick more! I might then try the few highlights another time.

I will apply the perfecton, then rinse, then koleston.

Thanks!!! I will let you know what happens xx

hi,

just thinking about this, if I went in with lets say 7/81, thats a pearl ash right?
do I not need to add the gold in thats missing or no, if I'm going from 8-7? so, if I put a 7/3 on would that help?
she's gone from a level 7 to 8 in one wash so it hasn't stuck (and it a 9 and mix) so almost gone!

thanks for all the patience with all my questions I feel like I'm starting to get something xx

hi everyone,

I'm still researching this :D:rolleyes: sorry for keeping going but I want to figure this out.

I have been down to the beauty supply and they're sold out of perfecton!

so I have a plan and I just want to check it.

I have been looking at the levels in my old textbook and it seems that I need to put gold/orange back in. thats why I am a little confused with the advice of ash tones? I want to learn from this error so any advice I'm taking on.

The textbook says always fill with 2 shades lighter than desired.

so, if I am going from 1/2 9 + 1/2 8

to 1/2 8 + 1/2 7

could I do 8/3 and 7/0? Would just having the gold undertone in the 8 help fill somewhat as its not highlights? I still plan to bleach up the highlights that went sort of khaki (I'd say theres 7 pieces).

I also saw a post on here saying you can go straight in with 8/7 and not pre pig xxx

The darker colour is the one I want to take to a mix of 8 and 7, the blonde is what has come through after washing ‍♀️

Attachments

• C4C06CEE-758A-4375-AB4C-A8D4695CBDB8.jpeg
    C4C06CEE-758A-4375-AB4C-A8D4695CBDB8.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 63
Sorry if I've misunderstood but Ive just quickly scan read your question. Can you not just put a natural on as the root smudge and then when bringing down low lights then use a different formula with added gold in x

Hi I recently had a client very similar I didn’t pre pig just did a root smudge with 66/07 colour touch plus and brought it down slightly for low lights , just mixed blonder 6% to lift existing highlights even out darker tones .. no fading either xx

Latest posts

Back