Help! Just don't know what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnails

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I need some advice, this is a long one so I'm sorry in advance!

I've been a mobile technician for just over a year, I'm confident in what I'm doing however I know I'm still fairly new to the business and only have a bit of experience. I've been applying for a salon job for a while and have not had much luck until recently. I applied for a job in a new salon and went to the interview, the woman who interviewed me already owns her own business but also owns a lot of land and has a building on her land which she wants to turn into a salon. She has no beauty, hair or nails experience but wants to take me on to run the salon. She has a lot of money and will pay me an hourly rate, she has said I can choose which products i use, she will buy me all top of the range furniture, she will fund any courses I want to go on to improve my skills and I can choose my own opening hours. There are no nail salons in the area for about 5 miles so I think it could do well. She will build me a website and get quality marketing material for me to use.
My only worry is because its a brand new salon I will have to do a lot of self promoting and advertising and I'm worried in case she puts all of this money into it and it doesn't come off. She wants to open the salon as she has a teenage daughter at college doing beauty and her idea is that once she qualifies, she can introduce tanning, eyelashes etc and it will become a nails and beauty salon.
I've been to a few meetings now with this woman and she's ready to get the ball rolling, we're supposed to be ordering supplies etc tomorrow but I feel like its just too good to be true and I don't know whether I'm being naive thinking it could work?!
Thing is if I pull it off, I've got a really good opportunity here!
What do you guys think??? Shall I go for it???...

Hi geeks

I need some advice, this is a long one so I'm sorry in advance!

I've been a mobile technician for just over a year, I'm confident in what I'm doing however I know I'm still fairly new to the business and only have a bit of experience. I've been applying for a salon job for a while and have not had much luck until recently. I applied for a job in a new salon and went to the interview, the woman who interviewed me already owns her own business but also owns a lot of land and has a building on her land which she wants to turn into a salon. She has no beauty, hair or nails experience but wants to take me on to run the salon. She has a lot of money and will pay me an hourly rate, she has said I can choose which products i use, she will buy me all top of the range furniture, she will fund any courses I want to go on to improve my skills and I can choose my own opening hours. There are no nail salons in the area for about 5 miles so I think it could do well. She will build me a website and get quality marketing material for me to use.
My only worry is because its a brand new salon I will have to do a lot of self promoting and advertising and I'm worried in case she puts all of this money into it and it doesn't come off. She wants to open the salon as she has a teenage daughter at college doing beauty and her idea is that once she qualifies, she can introduce tanning, eyelashes etc and it will become a nails and beauty salon.
I've been to a few meetings now with this woman and she's ready to get the ball rolling, we're supposed to be ordering supplies etc tomorrow but I feel like its just too good to be true and I don't know whether I'm being naive thinking it could work?!
Thing is if I pull it off, I've got a really good opportunity here!
What do you guys think??? Shall I go for it???...

Do you have a job at the moment? I would say if not go for it, it's not like your putting any money into it so you technically have nothing to loose if it doesn't work out except a job! I also hope the hourly rate she is paying you is good for running a salon for her!

Sarah xx

You only get one life. It's a job you want to do. She is not asking you to put any money in, what do you have to lose? What is the worse that can happen? And what is the best that could happen. I can understand that the age old saying is if it sounds too good to be true then it prob is but if I had nothing to lose I would go for it and give it all I had.
Just my personal opinion. Good luck if you go for it

Yes definately just make sure she pays from the get go and your not giving her your time for free doing the orderings and the sourting out the salon ect
I would have everything wrote up in a contract and give yourself a dead line to stay you never know she may be one of these women who has these dreams but never sees them through.
I think it sounds exciting as long as your not leaving a job to go work for her then what do you have to loose? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Go for it, be confident in yourself it sounds like an amazing opportunity ..... X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone! I am going to go for it, it's what I want to do and I won't get this opportunity again I think I'm just nervous because like I say it seems too good to be true. But yes I definitely agree if it does work it will be amazing for me! I just hope I can get a lot of clients and stay busy!! Xx

Do you have a job at the moment? I would say if not go for it, it's not like your putting any money into it so you technically have nothing to loose if it doesn't work out except a job! I also hope the hourly rate she is paying you is good for running a salon for her!

Sarah xx

I do have a job at the minute but regardless of this opportunity I think im ready to leave anyway, it's just an admin job it takes up most of my time and I find myself struggling to do the one thing I love (nails!!) because I'm at this job 4 days a week! She's paying me pretty well I think yeah, but she said if I get busier she will increase my pay accordingly. She seems like she's got a LOT of money lol

Xx

I would also say go for it, but be clever. Have as much as you can in writing and do your homework first and be thorough.

For example, who will the clients belong to? Who deals with complaints, and how? Will you get a carte blanche where prices are concerned? Will you just be building the business up for the daughter, and where will that leave you once she has qualified? Do you share the same values? Who decides on which treatments will be carried out, which brands to go with?

Go in, but with eyes wide open. Good luck!

I do have a job at the minute but regardless of this opportunity I think im ready to leave anyway, it's just an admin job it takes up most of my time and I find myself struggling to do the one thing I love (nails!!) because I'm at this job 4 days a week! She's paying me pretty well I think yeah, but she said if I get busier she will increase my pay accordingly. She seems like she's got a LOT of money lol

Xx

I know the feeling of this, I have a 40 hour a week job a car on finance and a soon to be mortgage! But i still work my bum off doing beauty because I LOVE it! At the minute for me it's not about the money it's about doing something I love & building it up enough so i can make it about the money & do it full time :)
If you have nothing to loose please go for it :) but as a previous poster said do your homework and don't let her make you build it up for her daughter! I know id jump at this opportunity if I was you! Best of luck 😄 X

Sarah xx

Latest posts

Back