Help leaving job!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soph36

Reaction score
Hey geeks
Didn't really know where to put this but here goes..

I'm currently in a full time job that I hate, work weekends and it's starting to really stress me out n I'm getting anxiety attacks that iv never suffered with before and it's starting to really get me down! I do a little bit of nails on the side but I haven't got much spare time to do it n build it up so I asked my manager if I could drop a day or two but I'm not allowed (what a surprise) so I'm now thinking maybe try to find a part time job n try n build my nails around this!

I'm a little freaked out with the whole thing and just wondered what ur experiences were n if it's the right thing to do! I'm so scared I'm not going to make enough money x

Any help or advice would be grately appreciated x x x

Can you afford to live on part time money whilst you set up your business?

Success wont happen over night, but giving it your best shot seems like a great idea!

I just wouldn't expect to live off the money for at least a year, as you'll need to spend & add on to your business as you grow.

Would there be any courses you'd like to do now whilst earning a full time wage?

Would you be mobile, home based or rent a room?

What is the competition like? Are they charging decent money per service? Will you be different?

Good luck 🍀 x

Can you afford to live on part time money whilst you set up your business?

Success wont happen over night, but giving it your best shot seems like a great idea!

I just wouldn't expect to live off the money for at least a year, as you'll need to spend & add on to your business as you grow.

Would there be any courses you'd like to do now whilst earning a full time wage?

Would you be mobile, home based or rent a room?

What is the competition like? Are they charging decent money per service? Will you be different?

Good luck 🍀 x

I can't afford to live on a part time wage as my parents are moving away in July next year and I'm desperately trying to save for a house!

I did mobile to start with but it was difficult as u have to drag all ur kit about n I had to do it straight after my current job and couldn't leave it all in the car so had to lug it to work n back!! I would prefer to do it home based but at the moment I'm living with my parents in rented accommodation as they have just sold there house n moving away so not sure if u can do it in rented accommodation?? No idea!!

Thanks for the reply! It's so scary, I read what some of u other geeks have had to go through n it's frightening!! Just feel in limbo at the moment!!

Xxxxx

I'm a little.confused...

You work full time, and hates your job, your boss won't let you drop any days, but you can't afford to live on part time money, you don't want to keep lugging your stuff around doing mobile and you can't do it from home due to your parents living there until they move....sooooo when or how do you plan to do nails?

Sorry for.sounding thick, but you have squashed every avenue

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

KHS is the voice of reason!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a full time day job I hated, that hatred along with my passion for hair is what made me lug my kit into the car every evening and weekend to build up a client base so that I could finally hand over my resignation. It took about a year and a half slogging my guts to build up a good solid clientele. A business doesn't happen over night, it takes quality consistent work.
Helen xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I left my job to start mobile as I hated it. It's hard work and clients don't appear overnight but I get up and enjoy my job. I don't groan as feel miserable when a work day comes around and I'm happy to put in extra hours over the evenings and weekends to boost my business. It's worth it but don't be disillusioned that it won't be hard work, exhausting and that you'll be earning better money than you are now for the first couple of years. Hth xx

I can't afford to live on a part time wage as my parents are moving away in July next year and I'm desperately trying to save for a house!

I did mobile to start with but it was difficult as u have to drag all ur kit about n I had to do it straight after my current job and couldn't leave it all in the car so had to lug it to work n back!! I would prefer to do it home based but at the moment I'm living with my parents in rented accommodation as they have just sold there house n moving away so not sure if u can do it in rented accommodation?? No idea!!

Thanks for the reply! It's so scary, I read what some of u other geeks have had to go through n it's frightening!! Just feel in limbo at the moment!!

Xxxxx

Oh no, well I wouldn't advise you to go part time then :( as you certainly wont be making any profit quickly.

Look for another full time job maybe? Something you don't hate as much?

Or two part time jobs?

I do mobile, & yes the travelling & lugging the kit gets tiresome. But its that or add an extra amount of money per month to my outgoings to rent a room (maybe £100+ per week) then lugging my kit doesn't seem so bad.

And if I'm honest if you need to earn full time wages it doesn't sound like you'd have the time to dedicate to a rented room until you have a steady client base & can rely on the income.

Now is a great time to start building your business with xmas on the way, if you are prepared to do it alongside your full time work.

You will need to charge a decent amount to cover fuel, products, time, training, kit, insurance etc. And pick a fairly modest catchment area. You wouldn't want to drive 40 mins there & 40 mins back to each appointment.

Unfortunately mobile & evenings & weekend work would be a good place to start. It took me a good while to stop spending all my earnings on new colours & replacing stock.

But its the long game, the bigger picture to focus on. You could go mobile in your area, build up a client base, then if your clients would follow you set up your own room & be your own boss for your future. It could take a year, it could take 2 so just be realistic with your expectations :)

Good luck 🍀 xx

I would like to do it at home but as I'm in rented accommodation I would need to find out if that's possible!!
It's difficult for me to lug things round as I have scoliosis in my spine and have just have an operation so the worst thing I could do would be to lift heavy objects but I'm guna have a look at some mobile storing bits and see if there would be something easier for me to manage!! I know it's going to be difficult for a few years but at least I will love my job instead of dreading everyday

I am thinking about renting a room, will have a look to see if there's anyone near me who has one.

I am going to talk to my manager n ask to have a shorter day or two one day in the week, that way I can get as much work done as I can in the morning to keep her happy. I work weekends n I finish at 8pm in the week n have a day off during the week so going to try to do something on my day off n evenings.

Thank u all for ur help!! Always appreciated x x x

I would like to do it at home but as I'm in rented accommodation I would need to find out if that's possible!!
It's difficult for me to lug things round as I have scoliosis in my spine and have just have an operation so the worst thing I could do would be to lift heavy objects but I'm guna have a look at some mobile storing bits and see if there would be something easier for me to manage!! I know it's going to be difficult for a few years but at least I will love my job instead of dreading everyday

I am thinking about renting a room, will have a look to see if there's anyone near me who has one.

I am going to talk to my manager n ask to have a shorter day or two one day in the week, that way I can get as much work done as I can in the morning to keep her happy. I work weekends n I finish at 8pm in the week n have a day off during the week so going to try to do something on my day off n evenings.

Thank u all for ur help!! Always appreciated x x x

Its worth checking, but I wouldn't hold my breath about being able to set up a home salon in rented.

I use a small suitcase for my nail kit, it has wheels so other than putting it in & out of the car its pretty easy to move about. My nail table is a fold up table so again its fairly light.

My spray tanning stuff is a mobile kit & hardly weighs anything!

Starts to get awkward with my beauty bed & waxing kit. I bought a portable bed, not a light one though! :( apparently there are some air light ones about!

Ok you will struggle only having from 8pm onwards, mobile or in a room.

Have a look for something full time or two part time jobs which will suit your new business better, free up your evenings & weekends if possible. It will probably be a case of bite the bullet just for the money whilst things fall in to place.

Even though trying to get 2 part time jobs to tie in may be hard, its actually a bonus if you can. As you could eventually drop one of the jobs as you get busier, but keep one until your 100% sure with your own business.

Let us know how you get on :) xx

Latest posts

Back