Help ----loads Of Probs ---- Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hiya gang,

I have recently qualified at college and all was well on the nail front until recently, I put a set of silk on my friends nails and they lasted 2 days, she always has silk put on and they last anything upto 4 weeks!!! but she explained to me that the nail technician she has uses sheets of proper silk, not the cut and stick sort!!. So off I trundle to John lewis to buy some, I tried again and only 2 lifted around the edges but I dont know why as I didn't touch the skin, they lasted about 10 days though??. I wonder if I am applying the silk correctly, at colledge we were taught cut and stick silk - not proper sheeted material. I use EDGE (alida) cut and stick silk.

When I put 1 layer on they didn't stay on, but when I put 2 on they looked too thick you could still see parts of fabric underneath??????

I am applying resin to the natural nail then holding a strip of the silk on then activating then re-applying resin x2 then filing off excess silk. I find it alot easier with cut and stick silk but it just WONT stay on!!! ANY IDEAS????

I am also having a few probs with GEL chipping off natural nail, I use millenium and sometimes star nails, I have a friend whos nails I did last night - she is coming back tomorrow as all the gel has chipped / peeled off???????? ANY IDEAS????????? I am thinking of purchasing an NSI gel??

SORRY ABOUT THE LONG ESSAY I HAVEN'T USED THE FORUM BEFORE AND I HAVE LOTS OF QUESTIONS / PROBLEMS

thanx for all your time!!

Ok here is a simple step by step. This is for generic Fibreglass and Silk systems
Fabric# System application involves a 3 phase resin application........
I have added a simple picture to this ,lol........very simple one............
  1. Prep nail, remove all non living tissue.............. use cuticel remover, use a curette and cuticle pushy, pay special attention to the lateral walls and the cuticle area........... rinse of the remover, dry...........
  2. Remove shine with a 240 grit.......only in direction of nail growth.....and only go over once, twice removes keratin and can cause nail plate thinning.....
  3. Scrubfresh to remove all pathogenes and leave pathogene fighting agents on the nail...
  4. One thin layer of resin.........let it air dry
  5. If you are not tipping the nail go to step 7
  6. Apply tips and blend......
  7. use a lintfree plastic backed pad with a touch of scrubfresh and remove the dust particles, only on the nail and not the tip.............
  8. Apply a thin layer of resin.........let it air dry
  9. Apply fibre or silk strip...........sticky backed material makes it easier to place on the nail............ there is no advantage/disadvatage using the older method it is just a lot harder to do.......
To apply the silk or fibreglass, try not to touch the material with your fingers to often..............this causes: contamination and lack of adhesion............
  • cut a strip fitting your chosen finger,
  • cut of the corners on one end,
  • peel off and place back on the left over backing strip
  • leaving a bit hanging over the edge so to speak...
  • place it on the nail and press the cuticle end down........
  • now go to the free edge where your overhang is and pull just slightly downwards, this will bring in the sidewalls, smooth with the left over backing strip, gently does it..............
  • Cut off over hang
Now you are ready to resin
  1. Apply resin let this air dry
  2. Apply resin and activate this
  3. Tidy up sidewalls and file the free edge
  4. Resin one more time activate and buff to finish
  5. Solar oil
  6. Polish
Tip: Avoid soft tissue contact with the resin as this will lead to lifting, for weaker nails also use a stress strip at the stress area............
Gel: Make sure you cap the free edge of the nail, this encases the nail and will stop chipping and lifting from the free edge

HTH

Attachments

• Fibreglass tutorial generic.jpg
    Fibreglass tutorial generic.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 125
Just wondered when you prep the nails before applying tips and fibreglass, do you do all ten nails. I have found in the past that i used to do everything to all ten as that was what i was taught. But if you get someone with oily nail plates then they start producing oil quicker so by the time you have done four or five nails the others will be oily again, which will stop the fibreglasss sticking to the nail. After doing all cuticle prep etc, and applied tips if doing so, only dehydrate on heand and apply fibreglass etc, this should help with the lifting, as well as doing what Ruth has laid out for you.

Ruth knows all there is to know with fibreglass, She is the Fabric# Queen.:lol:

Hi Nuts about Nails..

I really would use the correct material for doing wrapped nails either silk or fibreglass which somes in sealed bags rather than material that has been hanging around in a shop collecting dust and all sorts (yuck) and of course will not help the initial soaking process....plus think about all those grubby hands that have rolled out the material to look at it before your purchased this.. not very hygienic at all...

I would strongly recommend you return to using a brand of silk or fibgreglass manufactured specifically for nails...

PS I have used Stars silk and fibreglass for over a year and it works fine. You might have just got one bad batch of the silk in your initial kit..thats if it wasn't a prep problem at them time....

good luck and hope you solve your problems

Latest posts

Back