Help me determine my new hairstyle/dying hair tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinoto

Reaction score
Who am I?
I am a 25 year old male who hasn't done ANYTHING to his hair, ever. I wake up, shower (shampoo/conditioner) and don't even use a comb.
Which is why I am here.

I want to change my style and EXPRESS myself more. I want to drastically alter my hair, but this is an unknown world to me, so I seek your great advice and help.

Currently I have dark blonde/light brown CURLY hair, medium in length. Picture attached.

What I want to do?
1. I want to dye my hair. Either black, bleach it blonde, or white/platinum.
2. I'm not sure if I want it shorter and spiked or If I want to grow it out and 'straighten' it.

Personalized Questions:
1. With my natural hair color/curlyness is there a certain color (black, blonde, platinum/grey) that would be easier/better for me to go with compared to the others?
2. Is it even possible to have my hair spiked/straightened in any way? If so how much work will it be for me to keep this up on a daily basis?

General Questions
1. What kind of health problems are associated with dying my hair?
2. Currently I am extremely low maintenance (free hair cuts once every 2 months, absolutely no maintence on my hair), what kind of maintence will I need to do to keep my hair looking good? Dye my hair every 6-8 weeks? Use product to keep my hair spiked/straightened? Do I need a hair straightener and straighten my hair every morning?
3. Where would I even go to get my hair dyed properly? Any local shop will do or is there somewhere specific?

Disclaimer: I realize that I asked quite a bit of questions ranging from obvious ones to more personal ones. I WILL supplement this thread with research online, but wanted to hear your opinions on the questions. Thank you.

2ea3f973-329f-4a4a-b259-c32ba9c30189_zpsd5c18ad5.jpg

Honestly, you could pretty much do anything. Find a good shop that does men in Chicago. I guess long, dyed black, and straightend wouldn't be too good honestly. Find a stylist that you trust. Go for a consultation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for the tip, tsparker78.

I think Black or platinum will be too harsh for you.

If you want funky, you could always go a shade darker with a few contrasting lowlights in black.

As for spiky, yes you can do that, with work, hairdryer, straighteners and product...

Or...have the back and sides a number 2, keep the length on the top and work with the curls for tne "tussled" look. That would work nicely with tne black low light.

Go to your stylist as suggested and they can match a colour to suit your skin tone, but a flat black or bleach White won't do you any favours

Post a pic of the end result please :)

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I disagree with you. While I think flat blacllk looks bad on everyone, I would take him quite light if given the chance. I think it would look smashing! All in the toner really.

Not meant as an attack, just personal opinion. I think everyone that wants it should be platinum at least once. It's an experience, and when done right on an attractive person, whose hair can take, its awesome. Especially on a young man.

Hm. Interesting opinions guys.

I will make an analyzation according to your suggestions/opinions at an appropriate time.

So, I appreciate them very greatly.

Okay guys,

After considering things, I really would like to get the white/platinum style kinda messy/spiked/straightened.

Clearly, I need to go look for someone/a place to talk to, to see what they think/if it is possible.

How do I go about finding someone that can do this properly for me? It is so daunting. 0_0

I am in the Chicago area.

Pm'd you. I wanna see pics if you have it done.

Latest posts

Back