help me please I'm newly qualified

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayne

Reaction score
can anyone please help. I qualified on Thurs this week with Creative and I've got a nail biter coming for a full set of French on Tuesday. What do I do? Which tip is the most suitable and are there any tips anyone can give me. I would be most grateful. Also I did a set last night with radical French tips and when I was finishing with the girlfriend I kept getting dirty marks on the tips. They looked awful. WHY???? Desperate Jayne

Doing bitten nails really well so that they last is a challenge for anyone especially someone who is new to nails. The severity of the damage can vary allot and maybe you do not know how severely your new client has bitten them. sio here are some general rules of thumb.

When doing your prep, try to make the nail as 'regular a shape as you can so that the free edge (which will be missing but you know what I mean) is roughly the shape of the well of the tip. You can use Formation tips which are a flatter tip and do not have as much of a curve in the well area (very good for bitten nails). Remove enough well area from the tip so as to leave at least half the nail plate exposed.

PREP the nail well making sure to remove any and all cuticle from the nail plate.
Apply the nail tip as you have been taught using GelBond.

Keep nails short and gently rounded.

Apply the product sparingly so that you do not get the 'squashed smartie' look but make sure that as always there is more product in zone 2 for balance and beauty. Keep product well away form the surrounding skin.

I always advise nail biters to wear a colour on their enhancements at first. Seeing the colour reminds them not to put them in their mouth and really does stop them from being tempted to pick. It doesn't have to be a bright colour, something fashionable and liveable.

Client should return in 1 week!! So you can check the enhancements and do a buff to keep everything smooth and even. A biter willl pick at anything that is rough or uneven.

Warn the client that she may have a few problems because of her habit and that you cannot guarantee long lasting enhancements until her own nails have had a chance to grow out to support the product.

Client will benefit form using SolarOil every day to keep skin supple, to shrink excess cuticle and to encourage her to care for her nails and enhancements.

Regular maintenance is vital until a routine has been established.

As for the dirty marks on your nails??? You willhave to tell me more about that if I am to help.

Adding on from Gigi, I would also say that if your client wants a French finish then you would either need to do pink/whites or apply a French manicure polish at the end of your treatment. Her nails will be too short to apply French white tips.
If you do what Gigi says you shouldn't have any probs, just say to your client that her nails will be like building a house! - the poorer the foundations, the weaker the final structure! ............. Because you are working on bitten nails they will never last as well as working on someone with perferct nail plates - so she is more likely to have probs and shouldn't be embarrassed or feel a failure with her nails if she does. Neither should you feel a failure if she does have probs, very few nail biters get away scot free in the early days.
Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Hi there

Geeg was interested in your comments above, as I did my first nail biter a couple of weeks ago. She had no free edge whatsoever and it was impossible to shape the edge, but I did the best I could. The nail plate was 1/4 the size of mine, so tiny. I managed to get some tips on but found it quite difficult to really blend in some of them because of the bulbous flesh (I did preblend) and tiny nail plates, this meant that there was too much white for my liking, she seemed pleased but I would have preferred more pink than white. What can you do in this situation? I do have some flawless pink but I've never used it - I guess flawless would have made a difference by hiding the line between Z1 and 2, and making the nail plate seem longer?

Deb379

Debs

our nail biter's scheme is as follows
week 1 - cuticle treatment - if required - (to help tame those rock hard cuticles, client takes oil home and slaps loads on to soften them
week 2 - apply extensions
weeks3-7 weekly maintenance to catch any probs asap so biters don't have a chance to get their teeth into them!
week 8 - a. switch to fortnightly infills
or b. remove and apply a full set on newly grown out nail plates, (once they have grown out the true size of the nail plate is allowed to reveal itself giving you a firm foundation to build on, and providing a much better set than the first) and then switch to fortnightly infills.

Hope this is what you meant hun.

Hi Sarah

Not I had to put tips on because it was for her 18th. Did it OK and she was really pleased. and I have advised her to come every week for maintenance until they have grown

Deb379

Deb379 said:
Hi there

Geeg was interested in your comments above, as I did my first nail biter a couple of weeks ago. She had no free edge whatsoever and it was impossible to shape the edge, but I did the best I could. The nail plate was 1/4 the size of mine, so tiny. I managed to get some tips on but found it quite difficult to really blend in some of them because of the bulbous flesh (I did preblend) and tiny nail plates, this meant that there was too much white for my liking, she seemed pleased but I would have preferred more pink than white. What can you do in this situation? I do have some flawless pink but I've never used it - I guess flawless would have made a difference by hiding the line between Z1 and 2, and making the nail plate seem longer?

Deb379
Flawless is the powder for building in the illusion of a longer plate ... as you rightly said, it does disguise where the actual free edge line is and lets you place it where the proportion looks best.

It is worth trying it out first on some tips to get the feel of it. It must be applied and pushed back towards the eponychium leaving a thin layer that the next bead is applied and pulled over (like the shingles on a house. If you don't get used to this technique then you will get lines where one zone meets the other.

It is also worth noting that it IS opaque and if the colour does not match the clients skin tone, the 'peachy' colour of the base powder can look not so nice. I mix a little 'cobalt blue' into the powder for anyone with a bluey based skin and it looks lovely ( if I was mixing it - 1/20th blue to 20 parts flawless).

Latest posts

Back