Help me talk to my stylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenE

Reaction score
I've been going to my stylist about 6-7 years and in the last year or so the quality of services has become hit or miss. I don't want to change stylists (mainly because I haven't found another I'd trust). She's high lighted my hair, then I went darker then lighter, then platinum with and without a "color melt" using fashion colors. I've had a undercut and a pixie (and grown them out) and I'm currently trying to grow out my bangs. We've been a good team; I like to try more daring cuts and colors and she likes to do something different than than what her more conservative clients want.

The problems and some questions:
1. When touching up my roots is it necessary to apply the lift to the whole length of hair? My ends were fuzz and Olaplex has it's limits. I made the decision to just get highlights for a while and my bangs are finally getting longer instead of breaking off. She didn't suggest this, I guessed and hoped it would work. Shouldn't she suggest things to try so I can get the results I want?

2. I noticed the last couple of visits she isn't using Olaplex 1 and 2. I asked and she said she used up the last of it and only 3 or so clients are willing to pay extra for it so she isn't sure she's going to get it again. Should I buy (through her) the travel set (smaller amount) so I have it for myself or should I expect her to invest in it for her clients including me?

3. The first several times she colored my hair with fashion color she did a great job and I loved the results but now I think she's taking short cuts. It looks okay but not as good as before. Even if I show her pictures of what I want it doesn't seem to translate.

4. She won't tone my hair. When I was platinum all over (save for color) sometimes the roots were brassy and now that I'm doing low lights and high lights some of the high lights are really brassy. The brassiness is obvious so I asked her to get rid of it. She used toning shampoo and sent some home with me. The result was the lower half was lilac tinted and the upper remained brassy. Next time I asked her to tone my hair and she just left the toning shampoo on longer. I've researched products; can I ask her to use Wella Charm Toner? Do I have to tell her which one or should I just try to do it myself? It's not hard nor expensive so I don't understand why she hasn't - done - this- all - along. It's good for the hair.

Sometimes I've thought she's tired of me and is hoping I'll go somewhere else, except she tells me she's excited to see me when I make the appointment and then how much fun she has when I'm there. She seems sincere but, I don't know. With all the things we've tried (my hair, her skills) the result should be getting better, not worse.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Sounds like she might be taking short cuts to save money. If she’s not doing what you want, then she’s starting to take your custom for granted. It might be time to try somewhere else or let her know you’re considering changing hairdressers.

She should definitely be getting it right after this long. You shouldn't have to tell her what to do to keep your hair in good condition. My stylist knows my hair inside out, sometimes I just let her pick my colours if I want a change as she knows what works, what suits me and what I like. Time to move on I reckon!

Thank you both for your replies.

It felt good to get some validation. It gave me permission to move on. I'm sad until I remember she's has been slacking off and covering by saying, "we're friends, right," "I love it when you come in." It's like it's not about my hair anymore.

The hardest part will be finding someone who uses Olaplex or will invest in it. Their find a salon feature doesn't help me.

Latest posts

Back