Help me with my decision please, I'm going mad!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
I'm a driving myself crazy pls help me!!! Long post alert!!
I was last night ready to pay the deposit for my nvq level 2 beauty then had a panic and didn't. My story so far....
I have diplomas in Mani, Pedi, spray tan, eye treatments and do shellac. I do this from home, mainly people I no as have small children so work around them and have never majorly advertised. I get good feedback on my treatments but always worry that they r good enough (mainly nails side of things)
My aim is to work from home and alot more once all children are at school, at the moment its mainly pocket money and experience.
I thought I would do level 2 to add waxing and facials and build up the theory I'm lacking in treatments I do already and this obviously gives me chance to do level 3 and work in salon in future if I cant get enough self employed work.
However I then panicked that I'm paying alot of money to purely add waxing and facials if long term I work for myself and should i just do diploma courses in these and learn theory at home and practice lots.
Its all what ifs, I don't have money to waste so need to make right decision, has anyone else been in similar scenario and come out the other side ok? Lol any advice? I have no one else to really ask because they don't understand the industry so are never much help when I'm deliberating to them!!

I'm a driving myself crazy pls help me!!! Long post alert!!
I was last night ready to pay the deposit for my nvq level 2 beauty then had a panic and didn't. My story so far....
I have diplomas in Mani, Pedi, spray tan, eye treatments and do shellac. I do this from home, mainly people I no as have small children so work around them and have never majorly advertised. I get good feedback on my treatments but always worry that they r good enough (mainly nails side of things)
My aim is to work from home and alot more once all children are at school, at the moment its mainly pocket money and experience.
I thought I would do level 2 to add waxing and facials and build up the theory I'm lacking in treatments I do already and this obviously gives me chance to do level 3 and work in salon in future if I cant get enough self employed work.
However I then panicked that I'm paying alot of money to purely add waxing and facials if long term I work for myself and should i just do diploma courses in these and learn theory at home and practice lots.
Its all what ifs, I don't have money to waste so need to make right decision, has anyone else been in similar scenario and come out the other side ok? Lol any advice? I have no one else to really ask because they don't understand the industry so are never much help when I'm deliberating to them!!

LCBT have free employability courses for those on reciept of benefits, when I went there they gave free training to some in facials, threading level 2 . You really would need to specify your financial situation at current to allow for more accurate advice?, what you really want to achieve i.e own my own salon one day? how much you are paying for the course?

http://www.lcbt.co.uk/employability/course-details/?sub=1863

Hi thanks for your reply. I am not in receipt of any benefits so as far as aware I cant get any help with costs just the 24+ loan if I did level 3. I am only aiming to work from home salon around my children for the time being x

Hi thanks for your reply. I am not in receipt of any benefits so as far as aware I cant get any help with costs just the 24+ loan if I did level 3. I am only aiming to work from home salon around my children for the time being x

Have you tried private colleges as often they can offer cheaper rates, I know groupon and wowcher do deals normally in August for beauty/hair colleges starting in September.It really depends on how much this level 2 is?

Presumably you have done your anatomy and physiology as a precursor to the beauty that you have currently got?

I think doing private courses, as long as you research them well, are definitely the way to go.

You get much more one on one time. Then you need to practise, practise, practise. Good luck x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

If you would like to work in a salon at any point in your career, you will most likely need level 2 unless you go self employed. I wouldn't employ someone without at least level 2 and ideally level 3. I would also consider someone who has done a level 2 and can work for me while doing their level 3 but if you came for interview with a list of short courses, I wouldn't consider you.

Just FYI as well, many councils are getting stricter and won't allow a therapist to set up as self employed without at least a level 2. This is a lot more commonplace in London but seems to be increasing across the country.

Good luck with your decisions.

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks all, The nvq is with a private college. Its not about spending the money or finding some where cheaper but spending the money in the right places for eg if I don't need to recover the stuff I can already do in the nvq then that money could be put towards extra courses or products. I guess I just have to make a decision and go for it on either path! X

Can't you speak to the college and see if you can do the courses you are "missing" to make your training up to level 2?

Latest posts

Back