help my daughter has sliced her nail on razor!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudclarke

Reaction score
dont know how but my lovely 16 year old daughter has just sliced her nail on her razor in the bath. its about half way up her nail plate and there is a bit of broken nail sticking up exposing a raw bit. she has a bit of nail varnish on. could somebody advise me what i can do for her? my first thought was a layer of l&p to give it a bit of strength and grow it out but i dont see how i could get the nail varnish off first ( and im not brilliant at it so bot there would be some buffing).
poor thing isnt great with pain and shes already had a biopsy done this week (all clear thank goodness)
any advice for my baby is much appreciated!

Bless her, that must have hurt!!! :(

You could risk further damage putting anything over that, though. Leave it for a while to allow it to heal naturally, you wouldn't want to damage the nail bed! If the shard sticking up is well clear of the bed, you could clip it shorter with sterlised nippers. Clean it gently and put a plaster over it while she's in bed so it won't catch.

Good news on the biopsy btw!

Personally I would just clean it as best I could and put a plaster over so the bit sticking up doesn't catch and rip. Only because you said it is exposing the nail bed.

After a few days it might be possible for you to do a thin overlay. I've used an overlay succesfully on a cracked nail from free edge to cuticle but there was no exposed skin.

However that advise might be poop and a more in the know geek will be along soon :)

I did that to myself Xmas day last yr! I just used nail adhesive to stick it down (cnd) and let it grow, it is back to jormal now. After a few days I put shellac on it aswell hth bless her she sounds like she has been through it! Xx

i did the exact same thing about three weeks ago... i went and put nail glue on it. then had acrylics put on. yesterday i took them off. my nails awful to lool at now. tonight ive put a set of gels on tk.disguise it. i believe the nail glue nd acrylic made it far worse. id suggest just cleaning it and keeping it dry for now x

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

dont know how but my lovely 16 year old daughter has just sliced her nail on her razor in the bath.

Methinks it's time to introduce her to the wonders of waxing and leave the razor for her dad's chin :D

Using a decent quality nail adhesive to adhere the bit thats protruding will be the safest thing you can do.

Nail adhesive is made from medical grade ingredients alike to those used by hospitals to seal woulds.

I would not remove the varnish initially. Allow things to heal for a few days with the adhesive before you tidy things up with polish remover.

Keep it sealed with adhesive until it grows out. Putting an overlay on top should do no harm if its kept short and done and maintained correctly.

Oooo I've done this before and it does hurt!!! I've always left it alone but put lashings of solar oil on the nail!!! X

thanks lovely geeks for the replies.
so far i have put on a plaster and tomorrow she said she will let me try a bit of my cnd glue. her finger is still throbbing poor thing

Ive done this to myself plenty of times and its bloody sore at first but just nip the sticky uppy bit of nail so it wont catch and itll heal in no time.

:)

Latest posts

Back