Help My L&P's are cracking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cups1974

Reaction score
Ok so i just had my 3th client come back with the same problem. I don't get it i keep going over my prep thinking i'm doing something wrong rereading my book and reading on here. I don't see what i'm doing wrong. The only factor i can think of is that the weather has been sooooo cold here its been below 0 for a few days would that effect my work? Maybe i'm not warming the acrylic enough? They keep just cracking where you would put the first ball. And then break off no damage to the nail plate or ripping of natural nail but still cracking. any advise?

hi there

where are they cracking hun? which zone?

i used to get cracking when my product mixture was too dry???

Lifting is usually associated with poor prep, not really cracking in my experience.

are the clients wearing them too long - that can cause cracking!

hth a bit xxx

They are cracking at the freeedge and the fingertip. i think its zone one we call them balls here like the whole tip is cracking off

do you build your appex up enough hun? if there is plenty of strength they should not crack....

as regards the tip cracking - do you use tips or sculpt? if you get acetone or primer on the tip prior to l&p the tip can crack as it can cause a weakness in the tip.... hope that makes sense

or you could be working too dry as i said before..

hth

I sometimes get a crack where my natural nails free edge is but I know that mine happen because I am obsessive about getting a good sidewall shape and not ending up with 'hippy' nails. Means I take it in too thin as some of my natural nails are slightly fanned.

Appendex is the sidewall or stress line? Maybe i'm filing to much along the sidewalls? Could it also be combination of the weather? This is just in the las week? I have not had any real problems i know i shouldn't get to upset but i thought i was getting better. I've only been doing l&P for a yr i know it takes time. ok so appendex is what part of the nail please

I sometimes get a crack where my natural nails free edge is but I know that mine happen because I am obsessive about getting a good sidewall shape and not ending up with 'hippy' nails. Means I take it in too thin as some of my natural nails are slightly fanned.
I think this is what i am doing but wouldn't it have been noticable sooner?

hi there again

the apex is the stress area i think the middle bit at the end of zone 1 (ball 1) and the start of zone 2 (ball 2) - i.e the bit that is the highest part of the enhancement when you look from the side view at the nail. If its not got enough strength in it then it could easily crack or if the side walls are too thin.

Its very frustrating i know when you get a problem like this ...... it could be the cold weather especially if its exceptionally cold and the client is exposed to extreme conditions.

i still get little problems now (after 5 years) but dont let it affect your confidence hun, its just one of those things

geeky :hug:

I think this is what i am doing but wouldn't it have been noticable sooner?

Not if you started filing thinner only recently, maybe your eye is getting finer and seeing the shape you'd ideally want to achieve slightly better?

ok so i understand the placement and that is where it is happening. ok so i should build it up alittle more? so place a little extra inbetween those 2 zones?

that part of the nail should be the highest, as oposed to having 'flat' nails they should have a nice curve to them - this gives the nail strength and durability BUT if the nails are too long AND the client is heavy handed no matter how good your apex is they can crack.

xxxxx

I once had this problem all of a sudden and couldn't think why as all my other clients were fine, until during this particular clients 3rd treatment I noticed her stick her fingers in her mouth while I was repairing the broken nail. Hey Presto!! I found out why it was "only happening to her".

Cracking and dryness and serious product breakdown has always come to me as working too dry....deffo not too wet.....working too dry will manifest itself very quickly....within the 2 week rebalance perio....as already said, take a look at the ratio....5 mins on that will make a world of difference xxx

Go see your trainer and get it sorted...a few $ for so much less stress xxx

Ok so that now leaves me to another question i was taught to heat my monomer and powder with the light before starting when its cold is that false as well and if not how do i know if my product is at the right tempture. could that also effect the dryness??

hi

i have never been taught to heat the monomer or powder before application but i do remember being told NEVER leave your products in your car over night as the cold can affect them ???? if your products have become EXTREMELY cold then maybe that is what is affecting them.

Just a thought xxxx

Ok so that now leaves me to another question i was taught to heat my monomer and powder with the light before starting when its cold is that false as well and if not how do i know if my product is at the right temparature. could that also effect the dryness??
If it's really cold I will put my monomer bottle between my legs to give it a bit of a warm before I start using it....cold weather and cold monomer can really mess up the workability of the product that we are used to in ambient conditions.

Sounds a bit strange but it does help when walking in to a cold salon first thing in the morning!

If it's really cold I will put my monomer bottle between my legs to give it a bit of a warm before I start using it....cold weather and cold monomer can really mess up the workability of the product that we are used to in ambient conditions.

Sounds a bit strange but it does help when walking in to a cold salon first thing in the morning!

That's exactly what I do - put it between my legs when I'm prepping, by the time I come to use it it's at a better temp! My problem isn't a cold salon it's being mobile when it's so cold that a short car journey makes my monomer really cold even if it has been in the house overnight.......

Coldness can affect it as others have said, so, even though you may warm your monomer up don't forget your dappen dish can be cold too, so be sure to just hold that in your hand a min before putting monomer in it. I have mainly glass or pot dappen dishes which are ok and warm up quick and I also have a steel one, which I never use in the winter as it's always cold!

It depends too which brand you use, I have found, I used to have major problems with NSI in cold conditions, but never any problems with CND. The NSI was over 2 years ago, and they have changed it now, I had a sample recently and it's like a different product entirely!

Latest posts

Back