Help my nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gembilooli

Reaction score
Can anyone help with my nails? Sorry if I have posted in the wrong forums - Im not a professional, I just need some help!
I went to a NSS a couple of months ago (before I knew different) and my nails are killing me. My new nail tech has been using silks and popits on me and the bases of my nails are looking lovley! However near the top they are very red and I have two big dents in my thumb nail from the electric file.

My nails are so soft I know they are not going to stay long.

What should I do next? Should I leave my enhancments off for a while? Im using cuticle oil everyday now so hopefully that should help but I dont know what to do for the best!

hi sounds sore .... what does your nail tech say ?

Shes just finished her training so shes reluctant to cause me any more pain incase she over files or anything. She recommended having a manicure, but my fingers are so red and naked nails freak me out lol!

Im an estate agent so all of my clients see my nails!

i would say give you nails a break .... naught you for going to a nns in 1st place but what is done is done. you wont now what real damage is done ... if any till the enhancements are off and you can see you nails growing they do sound very painfull though hun i do simpathize
xx

oooo dear me Hun I sympathize with you,

I think the best thing to do, is hunt down a reputable tech in your area (I'm sure your friend will understand) get recommendations from people,
She can then have a look and assess,
without seeing though I think maybe a set of enhancements applied and kept short a nice workable length will be a good idea,
If your nails are so weak towards the free edges, they may start to peel and tear,
At least some short enhancements will protect your nails, and just keep having them professionally rebalanced, within a couple of months the damage will have grown out

I would say to have the enhancement of your choice as it will keep your nails looking nice but also protect them while the sore nail grows out.
Use a nail toughener if you do decide to go naked and keep up with the cuticle oil twice a day-solar oil is a girls best friend when it comes to nails.
hth hun.
xx

oooo dear me Hun I sympathize with you,

I think the best thing to do, is hunt down a reputable tech in your area (I'm sure your friend will understand) get recommendations from people,
She can then have a look and assess,
without seeing though I think maybe a set of enhancements applied and kept short a nice workable length will be a good idea,
If your nails are so weak towards the free edges, they may start to peel and tear,
At least some short enhancements will protect your nails, and just keep having them professionally rebalanced, within a couple of months the damage will have grown out

Just to stress the point, that this is what I would MAYBE do...I can't tell without seeing your nails,
I really think it would be best to get a really good tech to have a look for you, we obviously don't know the true extent of the damage caused x

The damage will grow out...theres not much can be done to repair it...although plenty of solar oil will help keep them nourished.

If i was doing your nails i would remove as much of the free edge as possible....as this is where the damage is...then see from there how much good nail there is...i don't see why a short tip and overlay couldn't be done and a coverage gel/powder used to hide any redness....this will also protect them and make them look better while the rest of the damage grows out.

But i stress.....SHORT enhancements...:lol:

Thank you all so much for your help!

I have a bottle of solar oil on order lol!

What would happen when I get my nails "roughed up" (sorry not sure what the correct word is) to get my new nails on, would this mean my nails getting thinner?

The burn when I get new nails on is unreal, because my nails are so weak (in fairness they always have been) it hurts so much - can something be put on first to stop the burning?

Any recommendations in Newcastle? Theres not many around my way I dont think?

Thanks bagpuss - I do have mine very very short. My friend is still learning sculpting so the tip cutter gets VERY close to my finger sometimes!

The free edge is curling up already Ive only had them off two days! (and yes I was very good and soaked them off)

What would happen when I get my nails "roughed up" (sorry not sure what the correct word is) to get my new nails on, would this mean my nails getting thinner?

The burn when I get new nails on is unreal, because my nails are so weak (in fairness they always have been) it hurts so much - can something be put on first to stop the burning?

There should be NO roughing up the nail plate prior to enhancements....thats what NSS do.

Only the shine needs to be removed...where there is shine.

If having gel and its burning under the lamp...then a good nail tech will know how to prevent this by flash curing the gel and keeping the layers very thin.

thats what I ment - having the shine off - with the big square file thing. ( I totally dont know what Im talking about lol)

Its not gel, Its Silk and L & P with the popits - ooooh the burn!

Solar oil is the bee's knee's hun,
Ok with a good tech babe, you wont have your nails roughed up...
Only a gentle removal of surface shine is required, this won't hurt, your tech will be aware of the damage and will be extra careful I am sure.

I don't do gel so can't advise on that at all.
But I know with liquid and powder (acrylic) there can be a burning sensation normally refered to as "heat spike" when the product is applied if the nail plate is thin, or the product is applied too wet,
A reputable tech will do her very best to ensure this doesn't happen xxx

thats what I ment - having the shine off - with the big square file thing. ( I totally dont know what Im talking about lol)

Its not gel, Its Silk and L & P with the popits - ooooh the burn!

Ahhhh well, If your friend is new to popits, then heat spike (the burning) is explained, It sounds like she was putting her product into the popit too wet,
I have done this on myself too and yes it burns lol...

And also heat spike can be felt with silk, when the activator is applied it sets the resin, I did this to my boyfriend when I was training , I swear to god he nearly hit the ceiling lol....

All your problems will be solved if we can get you an experienced reputable tech you have had a few bad experiences so far but don't worry too much
...hopefully someone will spot this and get in touch x

I have had ladies come to me with this problem (lots of them).....

I always try to do a very short L&P NNO and avoid using tips if the nails are too sore.....

The nails do recover and ladies seem much happier having them covered over and say that they are less painful when covered.

I need sculpting lessons.....

Can anyone In newcastle help?

Latest posts

Back