Help!! My poor nails :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittykate

Reaction score
Hi guys, I really need some advice.

I'm not a trained professional, I was looking into doing a short course, but due to the following, I've decided to take a longer course using Creative products. I've had my nails done hundreds of times and therefore know what goes on, etc (once had my nails done in a place that drilled my poor cuticles. Now I am VERY picky about where I get my enhancements done).

Anyway, my sister in law saw my nails one day and decided she'd like to be a tech. I encouraged her, and she went to a 2 day course near Manchester. That was about 3 weeks ago and she's practiced on 3 family members since. She did mine yesterday (I'd left them natural for the last few months).

I know she is only a beginner but the way she has done them and how they are now are really worrying me. Firstly her working technique is slow (understandable) but she had to be reminded twice to remove my (nude) nail polish before priming my nails (she is excellent with matters of hygiene however). The white tip application is all over the place - the tips seem very far down my nails (and I have good, long nail beds and a decent amount of nail, I'm not a biter etc). In some cases they are halfway down my natural nail! They are all lengths, and I asked for them squared off, she seems to have been taught that squared off is oval, as some are squarer and some are perfectly oval. Anyway, she used a powder & acrylic gel which set under a UV lamp - she told me it was perfectly normal to tingle, but it felt very tight and momentarily painful (for a few seconds).

The finished nails look ok-ish from far off but really are a bit of a mess close up - the acrylic wasn't applied over my whole nail bed (leaving tiny bits of bare nail, which is dull as she buffed/primed it, and tiny bits of bare white plastic tip). They aren't as smooth as they should be and look thicker around the edges which make me think she was working too wet. After the acrylic was set under the lamp she buffed the top and then stuck a bit of topcoat on which in places looks to have been 'absorbed' and gone dull, not shiny.

My main worry is that some of the nails seem to arch upwards (hard to describe), as if side on, the acrylic itself is flat but the end of the tip is higher than the cuticle. I think she had the tip cutter the wrong way around which has caused them to buckle??

Secondly when I look down the nail barrel I can see my natural nails and a clear space between the tip and my natural nail, obviously I am very worried about water/makeup/food getting up there and damaging my nails and I feel I should take them off? I already have lifting on my thumbnail.

She told me not to get my hands wet at all - I was so worried about nail damage my poor hubby had to wash my hair for me last night!

I've had a quiet word with him about it all and he isn't too happy (not at me, at the training as it seems to be rubbish) and will pass on my concerns - most of which I only noticed after she left. I don't want to hurt her feelings but there is no way I'd pay £25 for these nails, and this is in central Leeds where I've paid £50.

What should I do - I can't find a tech to take me on at such short notice, plus I'm in work until 16.30. Am I ok to soak them off myself, and what should I do after that - they tend to be very dry afterward, should I apply cuticle oil/protective topcoat?

My advice would be to go to a good salon and ask for them to be removed - it really isn't something you should do yourself without training.
I am a Creative trained tech and have to say that my first nails were really not very good but these do sound horrendous. You might suggest that she invests in a trainer hand to improve her techniques before working on any more humans.
Has she only been taught to use white tips? It sounds to me as if she needs more training all round if she is going to go forward.

Hi there, Im not really a major geek but to be honest I can't imagine that a 2 day course and 3 practice runs without an instructor could in any way have led you to believe you were about to be given a perfect set of nails ....... but it was kind of you to offer yourself up as a victim ; ) ...each new tech has been there I think... trial and error I suppose .. the most important thing for me when I was in the very early days (first 20 sets of hands) was feedback from my guinea pigs... only by writing down the criticism and researching on the net as to how to improve these things could I slowly learn to improve. This site has been invaluable.

2 days training is inadequate regardless of product used... plain and simple

I dont think she would be offended if you asked her to soak them off but whatever you do, do not pick at them - this will weaken your nails!! She may be more offended if you go to someone else - after all she is your sister-in -law.... eggshells remember.... Give her the opportunity to train on this aspect of the job... it's all learning after all. ; ) then she can try to repair the nails by doing a course of natural manicures for you perhaps...?

After soak off.... yep... lots and lots of TLC and oil (solar oil if you can get your hands on some)
Good luck! and remember she is probably as disappointed as you are with her work, so tread lightly chicka

Caitxx

Dont be tto hard on her. It is really difficult in this industry to perfect all of our skills at the beginning, and she probably feels as upset as you do.

Ask her first of all how shw feels about the nails and she may agree with you, but dont go in like a bull in a china shop cause that will just make her want to give up and migh ruin your friendship too. Once you agree about them then ask her to soak them off and give it another go.

Tell her to become a member of this site - we will help her as much as we can.

She is a new technician. So for a LOT of sets she will make a LOT of mistakes. I think this is a mistake we all have made in the beginning, where we think it's gonna be easy and it is NOT!

I know you may of seen it done a lot of times, but if you have not yet tried to put a set on just wait til you do! haha.

Her prep sounds very iffy to me. By the time she has applied the nail dehydrator and taken the shine off the polish should of been off! (she couldn't of done this tbh).

The nail tips were not applied correctly - obviously - but again, this takes a LOT of practice.

Also, you said she used gel plus a powder (is that what you meant), so maybe this system is NOT a soak off (we wouldn't know without the brand name) but a lot of gels are buff off. NOW, I would be CAREFUL if it is - cos again, if she has never done this before, or only once or twice..... well you can imagin what MIGHT happen.

Tell her what your concerns are. She can either take it on board or be offended. I would be MORE offended if my mate took her own off or went to a salon without at least showing me what she felt was wrong with them.

I would then go and have them professionally removed in a salon you KNOW has qualified and experienced nail techs.

She just needs to practice a lot and she NEEDS guinea pigs.. I don't think she should be charging (full price) yet and she needs to let people know shes newly qualified too.

xx

Hi there, Im not really a major geek but to be honest I can't imagine that a 2 day course and 3 practice runs without an instructor could in any way have led you to believe you were about to be given a perfect set of nails ....... but it was kind of you to offer yourself up as a victim ; ) ...each new tech has been there I think... trial and error I suppose .. the most important thing for me when I was in the very early days (first 20 sets of hands) was feedback from my guinea pigs... only by writing down the criticism and researching on the net as to how to improve these things could I slowly learn to improve. This site has been invaluable.

2 days training is inadequate regardless of product used... plain and simple

I dont think she would be offended if you asked her to soak them off but whatever you do, do not pick at them - this will weaken your nails!! She may be more offended if you go to someone else - after all she is your sister-in -law.... eggshells remember.... Give her the opportunity to train on this aspect of the job... it's all learning after all. ; ) then she can try to repair the nails by doing a course of natural manicures for you perhaps...?

After soak off.... yep... lots and lots of TLC and oil (solar oil if you can get your hands on some)
Good luck! and remember she is probably as disappointed as you are with her work, so tread lightly chicka

Caitxx

Thanks so much for your ideas so far :hug:

I knew they wouldn't be perfect, but I didn't think they would be in any way hazardous to the wellbeing of my nails. I didn't even want them doing but offered myself up for practice. In no way did I expect salon perfect nails, but I've been left with nails I'm worried are damaging my natural nails.

I agree that a 2 day course is inadequate and will be advising her to get a trainer hand. She has only learnt this way of doing it and her products were all supplied with the course.

Sadly I can't ask her to soak them off as she lives almost 100 miles away, she was visiting for the weekend when she did mine. I can't find any salon to take me in the next week given my working hours and the popularity of nail bars/techs here in Leeds. I won't go to the market as the Vietnamese nail bars on there are known to cut your skin/cuticles - I went there some years back and my nails were badly damaged.

I'm no professional but does anyone know if the gaps under my tips are due to undersizing/not enough glue, or a lifting effect from the lamp? I'm assuming any foreign objects getting under there will be a health risk as bacteria will grow on my nail plate and also soften my natural nails? :S

I'm no professional but does anyone know if the gaps under my tips are due to undersizing/not enough glue, or a lifting effect from the lamp? I'm assuming any foreign objects getting under there will be a health risk as bacteria will grow on my nail plate and also soften my natural nails? :S

I would say the gaps are generally due to the nails not being applied propery - not shaping the natural nails first being a good likely cause.

When are you likely to see her again? If not for a while and you dont want to ask her if they will soak off, try soaking them in acetone first. If no joy after half an hour or so then you may need to get them buffed off - I would go to a professional salon that buffs gel off if I were you.

I agree they do need to be removed if there are gaps underneath.

I would say the gaps are generally due to the nails not being applied propery - not shaping the natural nails first being a good likely cause.

When are you likely to see her again? If not for a while and you dont want to ask her if they will soak off, try soaking them in acetone first. If no joy after half an hour or so then you may need to get them buffed off - I would go to a professional salon that buffs gel off if I were you.

I won't be seeing her for a few months & I can't get a professional for over a week :(

Would it be better if I added photos? I'm actually in my office at the moment but I think I can email myself photos from my mobile. I've neatened off the sharp edges which were scratching me & my clothes and removed the 'fluff' which gets stuck under your nails from filing, but they are pretty much as they were done. Would this help?

I've been really nice to her as she is my sis in law and she's trying really hard, but I just want the nails off now (not to be horrible, but they are really bugging me as I can't even eat a packet of crisps as the salt gets 'between'). I know she'll improve with time and I'm happy to be a guinea pig for her again when she's had a bit more practice with a trainer hand.

Not being rude - but as a professional you should NEVER advise a client to "try soaking them in acetone first" ..... so if she has NO JOY! (?) then she will have very very messy nails (which will most definatly be a hell of a lot worse than the ones she is wearing now!!!!

JUST GO to the professionals hun.... ask her what system she used (brand) and if you are NOT happy / confident with her removal technique (I would be doubtful) then be patient and get booked in for asap in one of the salons you've used before (ring and tell them it's an emergency or put a post out for a GEEK on here to do them for you).

Tbh - with no proper prep, no apex, tips not applied correctly - they don't have a chance in hell of staying put anyway!

xx

I won't be seeing her for a few months & I can't get a professional for over a week :(

Would it be better if I added photos? I'm actually in my office at the moment but I think I can email myself photos from my mobile. I've neatened off the sharp edges which were scratching me & my clothes and removed the 'fluff' which gets stuck under your nails from filing, but they are pretty much as they were done. Would this help?

I've been really nice to her as she is my sis in law and she's trying really hard, but I just want the nails off now (not to be horrible, but they are really bugging me as I can't even eat a packet of crisps as the salt gets 'between'). I know she'll improve with time and I'm happy to be a guinea pig for her again when she's had a bit more practice with a trainer hand.

Whereabouts in Leeds are you? I'm in Leeds and work from home. If you can come to me after you've finished work, I'd be happy to take at look at them for you, remove them and carry out a manicure if you like.

I agree... find out what products were used and then make a few calls -

poor you - I can imagine the temptation to pull and pick !!! arrrgh!
I also agree not to attempt to do it yourself.. :eek:.. if youve not been trained you understand...!
Any way .. they will probably fall off due to poor prepping and wont last a week but none the less I think you need some TLC - emergency book and then rebook some natural manicures in advance

best of luck!

Cait xx

Not being rude - but as a professional you should NEVER advise a client to "try soaking them in acetone first" ..... so if she has NO JOY! (?) then she will have very very messy nails (which will most definatly be a hell of a lot worse than the ones she is wearing now!!!!

JUST GO to the professionals hun.... ask her what system she used (brand) and if you are NOT happy / confident with her removal technique (I would be doubtful) then be patient and get booked in for asap in one of the salons you've used before (ring and tell them it's an emergency or put a post out for a GEEK on here to do them for you).

Tbh - with no proper prep, no apex, tips not applied correctly - they don't have a chance in hell of staying put anyway!

xx

Whereabouts in Leeds are you? I'm in Leeds and work from home. If you can come to me after you've finished work, I'd be happy to take at look at them for you, remove them and carry out a manicure if you like.

I was just going to advise the same - of a Geek nearby who can help you out.

Anyone else worried about the quality of the "training"? :eek:

Anyone else worried about the quality of the "training"? :eek:

ABSOLUTELY! Well we don't know where she trained and we don't know what level or qualification she trained to either. There are heaps of 1 or 1/2 day courses out there that make people believe they can come out and be a Pro!!! Hopefully she will be pointing her sis in law in the RIGHT direction! Am also wondering about her insurance too?

If I remember rightly, when I was looking at a training venue so I could complete my nail training, I think I looked at one in Manchester - I'm in Leeds so its only about an hour on the train there, in comparison to some which were in London, Scotland etc. I'm sure I was put off by the one in Manchester because it didn't seem like a reputable training venue and they didn't care if you were unable to bring models along, and also, 2 days is not long enough!! My course was over 4 weeks and you were given the chance to practise inbetween training days - I must have done atleast 14 sets between each training day. I have been doing nails over 10 years (never received any certificate - long story and on another thread!) but there were girls on my course that still couldn't get to grips with it over the 4 weeks and passed by the skin of their teeth.
Sorry for babbling on but I completely agree with both Kirsten and Sals - 2 days is nowhere long enough to be a competant nail technician and it concerns me that there are training facilities out there that do this.

PS Don't get me wrong, the training venue in Manchester that I looked into could be different to the one this girl has trained at - but it seems to offer the same things I read about.

My course was over 30 weeks - manicure (maybe we went over stuff a LOT - but still) and 16 weeks for enhancements - and after that worked for free as a student at the college... I still had a LONG way to go.. still do. So a 1 or 2 day course with a couple of sets in the middle is not gonna be enough.

I also did my nail enhancements over aprox 16 weeks. The 1 to 2 days are plenty for a conversion course but no way could i learn all that i know now over a period of two days.

Hi guys, thanks for all your suggestions. I had found a salon that could take me tomorrow, right next door to my office, (but thanks to all geeks who offered their services - I WILL be using professionals in future, I was a guinea pig this time!). Unfortunately today I was carrying a filing cabinet drawer and caught the underside of each nail, they peeled off like rubber - leaving literally nothing on the natural nail (which looks very dry) and two thumbnails still on! I had a tube of handcream in my desk which has helped a bit but they still look flaky and dull. Poor nails. The thumbnails are literally going to peel off, they've lifted all over. I'm going to keep the appointment and hopefully they'll know what to do (I've been before, they are very good, part of Spirit Health Spa, they use lovely Jessica nail polishes - anyone know where I can buy these?)

I'm going to advise my sister in law to take a longer course because no way should nails peel off like thick polish (again I think this is due to the mix being too wet but it's just a guess really). I'm then going to leave them alone for a few months barring a bit of basecoat & polish. I'm using Sally Hansen 2 in 1 base & topcoat at the moment - but since my nails are so weak and 'bendy' can anyone reccomend a better polish?

Thanks guys!

Hi Kittykate, what are you having done at the salon tomorrow? I'd recommend you have a luxury manicure if you can and if they have time. If they use Jessica products, they should be able to retail you a nail treatment - perhaps Restoration which is for damaged nails (I imagine yours may well be after they all peeled off!) or Fusion which is for peeling nails. Anyway, I'm sure they will have a look and recommend a good basecoat that you can apply to help improve the condition of your nails. Use some cuticle oil tonight when you get home if you have some.
I hope that your nails get better soon! Try having regular manicures until you decide you want some enhancements on again.
Let us know what happens and yes, do advise your sister in law to do a longer course!!

I'm not a trained professional (bit hard to critique her work if you dont know the correct ins and outs your self)
she went to a 2 day course near Manchester. That was about 3 weeks ago and she's practiced on 3 family members since. with 5 sets (max probably) under her belt, you cannot expect perfect nails.

I think personally, you should go to a qualified tech if your not happy, she IS a student.. a VERY NEW one at that... I knew some girls with 6 months experience who still produced shocking nails... You cant expect the world or perfect nails.. nor should you at this point in her training. Its alot harder for some than it looks.

IMO 2 days is hardly enough... my course was 52 WEEKS!

Latest posts

Back